Photohigher skyline rsgs

I got it to work on bench more or less. Pan Switch is working but no mater if it's turned off it always have initiation movement when I turn power on.
Also
1. pan sometimes change speed of movement when I don't touch anything, very strange.

2. I get very often red light and skyline won't work, than disconnect the power and power on again and it works, very annoying

3. Can't set Roll limits. No matter what I enter and press save settings (saved to flash) roll always have limitless movement, until servo hits bar of av200

Are you getting a single red flash or double. i.e. flash - pause - flash - pause,, or flash - flash - pause - flash - flash - pause. If it is a single flash check your center tune values by turning the gains for tilt down close to zero. If you can turn it all the way to zero and your gimbal doesn't move that means the center tune value is correct. If it moves you need to adjust the value. Repeat for roll and pan.

Do you have limitless movement using the transmitter or when you tip the gimbal over by hand? The roll limits are relative to ground. The skyline assumes the gimbal will be approximately upright.

Just to clarify the center tune values. Ideally if a 1500us servo signal was sent to a continuous servo it will not spin. However this relies on the pot being centered off properly, and the exact value needed to center off different servos varies a bit. So the center tune parameter is to correct for this. The center tune values have nothing to do with leveling the gimbal and shouldn't be used for this.

Setting the gains to zero means the skyline wont try to correct any movements. It will just send a neutral signal. The exact value of this signal is 1500ms - center_tune/12.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
With a big leap of faith I went ahead and setup the RSGS on the Cinestar/AV130 today. Had to completely disassemble the harness and rebuild it according to the new schematic, getting rid of a bunch of wires and connectors in the process. Since I'm only using tilt and roll I've got it down to 4 leads coming off the RSGS, big improvement. Took a bit to build the dummy servo pots, rewire the harness, update the software/firmware, and do the calibrations. Knowing it HAS TO work this weekend I left the roll and tilt pots in place so in worst case I can unplug/swap a few leads and be back to a working basic setup if need be.

Without touching any of the default settings I put the Nex 5N on and did a short test flight in the front yard. It's got some jitter on tilt but the roll seems locked in, exactly the opposite of what I experienced with the beta unit! Still I don't think it's an unsolvable problem because I've been through this before with an early version and was able to smooth it out to the point it was much better than without the RSGS, if I can get the tilt back to where I had before it will be working just the way I want it. Just got done playing around with gain settings and I think I've got the tilt very close, unfortunately it's almost 11PM here and a test flight will have to wait until until morning, looks promising though.

I did a comparison of the video with the RSGS and the last flight I did without and there is a very noticeable difference in stability, just need to smooth it out a bit more...

Ken

hdj912

Is that Epic mounting plate something custom made or is it available to buy somewhere? Would love to have one like that for our FS-700.

jappie911

I am upgrading my Skyline today with the new wires and software..

However with the older firmware's I had a problem, wich I suppose will still be the there:

How to use tilt on my Graupner mx-20 ?

I made a switch so I can use my second mx-12 for the operator, so we can use a "stick" on that one, which works ok, but when I want to fly it as as a single setup, I want to use it on my mx-20.

But when I use CTRL 6, it does not work the same as it was normally over my Mikrokopter flightcontroller, have to turn the knob and then back again to stop it.

I connected a signal cable from the MK flightcontrl. to the Skyline Tilt input. ( I do not use a second transmitter. )

Any idea ?

What things can I to to be able to increase the roll gains? Ultimately this has been and still is my issue with the skyline. The Roll oscillates so easily that I can not turn up the gains. This results in a slow response and shifting horizons.

The jitter situation seems much improved but every time I plug in the Roll control to the RX the thing tweeks out. I'm assuming this is interference but it would be nice to solve this problem too.

I am upgrading my Skyline today with the new wires and software..

However with the older firmware's I had a problem, wich I suppose will still be the there:

How to use tilt on my Graupner mx-20 ?

I made a switch so I can use my second mx-12 for the operator, so we can use a "stick" on that one, which works ok, but when I want to fly it as as a single setup, I want to use it on my mx-20.

But when I use CTRL 6, it does not work the same as it was normally over my Mikrokopter flightcontroller, have to turn the knob and then back again to stop it.

I connected a signal cable from the MK flightcontrl. to the Skyline Tilt input. ( I do not use a second transmitter. )

Any idea ?

I put the gimbal tilt control onto one of the 3-way switches and moved my zoom to CTRL6. In the controller you can turn down the servo% on the Tilt and get a real fine control.

NVfilm.dk

Hi Photo Higher and other multirotor people:) I'm a danish video journalist. I'm happy to read that the Skyline FW 1.2.2. is working fine. I have a new AV200 and have just bought a Skyline. And want to set it up now. I will now follow the instructions but I have one question:
I will make the Harness Modification today - and the dummy pots, BUT what about the servo modification mentioned on the photohigher website? It looks very complicated. Do I have to make that modification to or isn't it important since no one mention it here??
Looking forward to hearing from you... best Nikolaj

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael64

Read back post its not working fine yet. Still have jitter problems on the pitch to point that makes the video unuseable. Have emailed PH and no response since early going. They were really good at first then the new firmware fixed the jitter problems and you could one battery source will when the jitters was still there after all the modifying and making dummy pots I reemailed them with my findings and that there has been no reponse since. The last response I did get from them was it was my gimbal causing the problem thats funny the gimbal is a new AV130 and yes the belt is tite. So I believe they think they have all problems fixed not on the setup I have. I hope somebody can get theirs working well I can not.

Michael64

Hi Photo Higher and other multirotor people:) I'm a danish video journalist. I'm happy to read that the Skyline FW 1.2.2. is working fine. I have a new AV200 and have just bought a Skyline. And want to set it up now. I will now follow the instructions but I have one question:
I will make the Harness Modification today - and the dummy pots, BUT what about the servo modification mentioned on the photohigher website? It looks very complicated. Do I have to make that modification to or isn't it important since no one mention it here??
Looking forward to hearing from you... best Nikolaj

Trnquill

Yep, you have to do the servo modifications. If you want to make it nice and tidy (and you're sure you never want to use external pots on your servos) you can just solder the two resistors inside the servo. Remove the pot by cutting the legs half way like they say in the instructions. But instead of soldering a wire solder the resistors there. One between legs 1 and 2, one between legs 2 and 3. Remember to insulate the legs and resistor wires so that they will not get in contact with each other or anything else conductive inside the servo!

vip

Mine is still on the way to me( bought as part of a package) , but wouldn't one think that skyline would just do a RECALL of all older units and give folks a unit that works, put together properly
with the wiring harness adaptions made for what the cost of this board is. Can one just imagine the out cry if Hoverfly, MK or DJI asked us to do the same thing?
I am sure I will have to struggle through this also like everyone else but it seems a little wrong to me for the price.

bordhead

Mine is still on the way to me( bought as part of a package) , but wouldn't one think that skyline would just do a RECALL of all older units and give folks a unit that works, put together properly
with the wiring harness adaptions made for what the cost of this board is. Can one just imagine the out cry if Hoverfly, MK or DJI asked us to do the same thing?
I am sure I will have to struggle through this also like everyone else but it seems a little wrong to me for the price.
mm

I agree..just bought a new av130 and I guessing the pots need to be dummy pots...how to I make them dummy pots?
I just spent all this money on this thing and its usless . What do I do.. any suggestions Photohigher?

NVfilm.dk

Thanks! So I HAVE to follow the Photo Higher instuctions: "External potentiometer with extended travel Assembly Instructions" from 1-9 if I want to use the Skyline?? Best N

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks! So I HAVE to follow the Photo Higher instuctions: "External potentiometer with extended travel Assembly Instructions" from 1-9 if I want to use the Skyline?? Best N

If you already have external pots connected to the servos on the mount the servo mod has already been done, then all you need to do is disconnect them and use the "dummy pots" which is a servo connector with a pair of resistors as shown in the installation guide.

Ken

bordhead

If you already have external pots connected to the servos on the mount the servo mod has already been done, then all you need to do is disconnect them and use the "dummy pots" which is a servo connector with a pair of resistors as shown in the installation guide.

Ken
Can you repost the resistor info. I'll go pic some up..I'm having trouble searching on my phone. Thanks

NVfilm.dk

Resistor info: 2 x 2.4K 1⁄4 Watt resistors: any value between 2K and 3K will work as long as the values are identical. JR male servo connector with pins..

nicwilke

My AV130 is working well with 1.2.2 & dummy pots/wire harness simple mod. There seems to be a few people that are still having problems with the skyline. I suggest everyone having issues read the official guide pdfs on PH's website and check both your gimbal and wiring carefully. Personally, i think the first setup with the mod you should not do the auto tune, as you are really testing your dummy pots and wiring before you are tuning your gimbal.

If you error in any of the process, of course you will have issues. One big mistake to look out for is after any tuning malfunction (that makes the gimbal go nuts) check the skyline is still tight on the gimbal.

Remember to remove the tilt belt and servo gear wheel when first manually leveling the skyline as it saves a lot of strain on your equipment.