Photohigher skyline rsgs

Swalas, you're right but modelling has its own rules since the receivers have male pins both for taking and delivering power. I'd wait for the schematics from PH, one thing for sure is that the pan input positive is not going to supply the skyline as the relative pin on the skyline is not a real positive. I called it "com" in my schematics, exactly like the signal of the pan input. I believe the pan input rather than Gnd,+ and- has Gnd, Txd and Rxd.
I'd use the tilt input plug to supply power to the skyline.

My AV130 seems pretty stable on the ground with the new (1.2.2) FW. No jitter, it's holding level, etc.

Is anyone else running Mikrokopter electronics and a Graupner HOTT controller? How are you controlling the gimbal tilt in a one-person set-up? I had wanted to use the knob CTRL 6, but maybe a 3-way switch is what I'll have to use? Do I understand it correctly that with the Skyline I can't dial in the tilt position, I can just turn on forward or backward tilt?

Thanks.

swalas

So Ill just add the roll input cables (whit out the white cable) put male connector on it, and remove the pan servo cables, I like to remove everything thats not needed for my setup..

Hi Claudio, thanks for that information. I am sure that I will get it working after your helpful information. I didnt realise the FW had been updated again. I thought I had 2.2
I will give it a try tomorrow. Actually probably not tomorrow, wife's birthday!

Hello Chris,
now everything is working! I made two things, can't say which one was the one that solved, anyway: i downloaded the very last release again (i had a 2.2 sw whilst now online is 2.4) and then just went all around with the endpoints until i found the places where the skyline did what i wanted it to do. The tricky thing was that, maybe due to some delay inserted in the sw or anything, once you get to the point of the control that disables pan or everything (i am using a 3 position switch) it doesn't disables it straight away but after a slight delay. That can lead to overshooting the correct values, and having the skyline disabling and re- enabling the compensation. In one word: go slow whilst looking for the right endpoint or center. My values are:
65% pan disable
0 all ON
-82% disable everything

Did you switched on the skyline with the pan input already connected to the relative rx channel? If it doesn't see a valid rx signal at startup (like when you switch on with pan input connected to the pc) it will not consider it until switched off and on again. Mine did work from the start...

P.S.: The aux channel is connected to pin 9, sorry i forgot to sketch it in my diagram

swalas

I have had a crazy idea in my head for a few days now, I have a AV130, and the skyline is on the "other" side on the gimbal, this is because of the space between the servo and tilt axis is to small for the skyline to fit, the result of this is the opposite side mounting on the AV130 and lots of cables on two sides of the gimbal.
The Idea consists of making a fitting for the skyline on the axis that puts it out the way of the servo(further out).
pros all cables on one side (my favorite)
sensitive roll, due to faster response.

cons takes up a little more space
not that crash friendly.

I have had a crazy idea in my head for a few days now, I have a AV130, and the skyline is on the "other" side on the gimbal, this is because of the space between the servo and tilt axis is to small for the skyline to fit, the result of this is the opposite side mounting on the AV130 and lots of cables on two sides of the gimbal.
The Idea consists of making a fitting for the skyline on the axis that puts it out the way of the servo(further out).
pros all cables on one side (my favorite)
sensitive roll, due to faster response.

cons takes up a little more space
not that crash friendly.

If you're using a small camera (such as a GoPro), you can actually put the Skyline inside your camera tray (like in the picture)View attachment 6234

Attachments

• 2012-09-12 09.43.30.jpg
    2012-09-12 09.43.30.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 527

Hi All,

Here's the modified wiring loom schematic. Check which hardware version (Check your skyline unit just above the pin header) corresponds with your skyline unit before doing any modifications.

You can still use the Pan Servo plug to power the skyline. The instructions have just been changed to allow the Pan Servo plug to be used on the pan servo.
http://photohigher.co.nz/assets/Uploads/Skyline-Loom-REVA-Modified.png
http://photohigher.co.nz/assets/Uploads/Skyline-Loom-REVB-Modified.png
View attachment 6238View attachment 6239

Attachments

• Skyline Loom REVA - Modified.jpg
    Skyline Loom REVA - Modified.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Skyline Loom REVB - Modified.jpg
    Skyline Loom REVB - Modified.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited by a moderator:

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
looking at this 2 diagram I just realized I dont know which HW version I have...hmmm I should check it once i get home

I solved my jitter problem! On the 2nd hole from bottom it's working better for me, even if I have to go out of roll balance to be able to tilt 90 degrees down. The roll can handle the out-of-balance much better than the tilt.

Anyway, that works o.k. now, but I figured out a new problem: if I tilt to some positions the tray doesn't stay there but goes a little bit away within two or three seconds. Interesting: the tilt value in the monitor windows stays where it is.
Example: I tilt to 45 degrees, monitor says: 45 degrees, the tilt goes by an invisible hand to 42 degrees, the monitor still says: 42 degrees.

Example video: http://youtu.be/LhJ51jVCTs4?hd=1

Ideas?

The skyline is fixed to the tray. I repeated the manual & auto tuning a few times: same, same.

Good night from berlin, I think I can adventure my little job tomorrow with this little problem, I hope the weather will be fine.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Got the 3 pos switch to enable/disable all axis stab with futaba without changing end points but cannot test pan since I dont have pan but should work. adjusted the velocity gains and the gimbal looks more responsive. but the real test is in the air. Sadly, I dont think I can test it until weekend.

How to check hardware version? I dont see it on the software or did I miss it?

Hardware version is in small print on the actual skyline board. It is right above where the harness plugs in.
Got the 3 pos switch to enable/disable all axis stab with futaba without changing end points but cannot test pan since I dont have pan but should work. adjusted the velocity gains and the gimbal looks more responsive. but the real test is in the air. Sadly, I dont think I can test it until weekend.

How to check hardware version? I dont see it on the software or did I miss it?

Thanks for that...now I feel sad hahaha I got 1.0

Sorry about that. Your hardware is the same as 1.1 and 1.2 apart from the pin out. The wiring loom manufacturer said they were too difficult to do with a 3 wires coming off one pin so we changed the pin header to make more space.

... Sorry again

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Opps no need to say sorry it was a joke..my bad if it sound serious. I am looking forward to testing this on weekend.

Yes, the modification is the same whether you have HW 1.0. 1.1 or 1.2.

They are the same wires getting modified on either looms. We posted the schematic because there are two different looms for 1.0 and 1.1-1.2. This way people can check if they did the mod correctly.

Thanks for the reply.
Wire Harness is completed, and have just finished making dummy pots.
Now I am moving to the software and firmware update....... Wish me luck :)

Mitypsilon...just an idea to test: if you have set a "I" value in the tilt gain settings try lowering it. It looks like an overshoot caused by high integral value. Still, i don't believe you're going to tilt at maximum speed during normal shooting so...not even need to say "good luck" for todays work, it will be just fine