FrSky/Taranis Owners Thread

Gary Seven

Rocketman
I have taken apart a Tx before. It's really more intimidating BEFORE you pull it apart. You could contact the retailer and ask for a replacement, but that might take a while?

take the back off and check it out - worse case is you put it right back on and ship it back :)

Yeah, I'm probably going to do it as I'm just "anal" enough that this throttle thing will drive me nuts. I'm 95% sure I've got the issue described by [MENTION=15273]vellocer[/MENTION];

Just found another video on how to disassemble the Taranis case and correct and/or change the feel of the gimbals. Quite interesting.

http://youtu.be/6FTHQ0t-zmA

Gary Seven

Rocketman
"Throttle Warning" when I start up Taranis==>Solved

Followed the advice of [MENTION=15273]vellocer[/MENTION]; and [MENTION=11354]Motopreserve[/MENTION];. Took off the case, followed the video carefully, turned the little screw in question ever so slightly, and now the gimbal is lined up with no warnings from Taranis upon start up. Good job, everyone! :pride:

On a side note to [MENTION=1]Bartman[/MENTION]; I think a separate community for Taranis owners should be created in a sub-forum. Just sayin.

boba7523

Mode 4 is what you're looking for. If you plan on doing an ESC throttle calibration, and haven't done it yet, you can copy (or duplicate) the throttle channel to an empty channel (I used 11 - which is now the 3rd physical output on the X8R in mode 4) in Companion 9x so that you have access to the throttle output on a physical servo output.

Hi guys,

So just double checking mode 4 is correct for binding and using Sbus.

Jump signal ch 1 to 4
Set Ch output: 9-16 in Taranis
D16.

Thanks!

Edit:

Guys, just tried to bind it in Mode 4. It is green when i binded and kept signal jumper in.

So i re-binded and removed the signal jumper. Now it flashes red, meaning they didn't bind...

Am i supposed to keep the signal jumper in at all times? And for Mode 4, am i supposed to set Ch output to 1-8 on my Taranis?

Like Gary said, the manual is very counter intuitive...

Last edited by a moderator:

boba7523

You won't be able to spin the motors up just by moving the throttle around. You need to arm the motors first. With the Naza, the arm signal is both sticks down to the left or right. Pick one - I use left. As soon as you do this, the motors will spin up to idle.

Do it just to check, and then yes - plug the Naza into your laptop and set it up properly.

Btw, i tried to test my motors by moving both stick to bottom left, didnt work...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Btw, i tried to test my motors by moving both stick to bottom left, didnt work...

I'm assuming by jumping 1-4 you are putting 2 jumpers in (1-2,3-4)?

Did you follow the procedure in the X8R manual (if you were able to decipher it??) :). I never got my lights to show the correct color as described. So the procedure again for startup - holding the failsafe button with paperclip. After holding it a bit - power off. Take jumpers out and repower. It should be bound at that point.

going from memory here, but I think that's right.

boba7523

I'm assuming by jumping 1-4 you are putting 2 jumpers in (1-2,3-4)?

Did you follow the procedure in the X8R manual (if you were able to decipher it??) :). I never got my lights to show the correct color as described. So the procedure again for startup - holding the failsafe button with paperclip. After holding it a bit - power off. Take jumpers out and repower. It should be bound at that point.

going from memory here, but I think that's right.

Yep, I put 2 jumpers in signals 1-4. Got a solid green now when I power both Rx and Tx, and a solid red when I turn Tx off, so i assume they're bound.

Both sticks to bottom left, but motors aren't turning on at all. I've plugged in all 3 signal wires..

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yep, I put 2 jumpers in signals 1-4. Got a solid green now when I power both Rx and Tx, and a solid red when I turn Tx off, so i assume they're bound.

Both sticks to bottom left, but motors aren't turning on at all. I've plugged in all 3 signal wires..

Yep, solid green is what you're looking for.

Not sure which signal wires you mean, but the arming issue may be best posted in the DJI section.

min0nim

From memory you need to calibrate in the Naza assistant as well before arming the first time. Also check that your sticks are controlling the channels in the correct direction in the Naza Assistant, and reverse them if required.

DavidN

I am using a slider on my Taranis to control camera tilt on a gimbal. The problem I am having is the full range of tilt happens with only a tiny portion of the slider movement. I have played with weight and offset and worked with curves with no success. How do I adjust the slider so that the camera is all the way up when the slider is at the maximum counter clockwise direction and the camera does not get to be all the way down until the slider is maximum clockwise.
Thanks
David

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I am using a slider on my Taranis to control camera tilt on a gimbal. The problem I am having is the full range of tilt happens with only a tiny portion of the slider movement. I have played with weight and offset and worked with curves with no success. How do I adjust the slider so that the camera is all the way up when the slider is at the maximum counter clockwise direction and the camera does not get to be all the way down until the slider is maximum clockwise.
Thanks
David

you would have to change the "limits" for that channel. There might be a little trial and error, but that's what does it.

PCMAerial

Thanks
David

what do you have set as the source on your slider? I can't get mine to control the tilt at all

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
what do you have set as the source on your slider? I can't get mine to control the tilt at all

It's not the source, but setting the output to a channel on your RX (or the appropriate channel on a DJI/Zenmuse setup) to control the tilt. Just pick an open channel, make the "source" the slider or pot, and then decide on the output.

Does that make sense?

PCMAerial

It's not the source, but setting the output to a channel on your RX (or the appropriate channel on a DJI/Zenmuse setup) to control the tilt. Just pick an open channel, make the "source" the slider or pot, and then decide on the output.

Does that make sense?

Let me run it again and see. Right now I have:

-Channel 5 Open
-Set Ch5 to my RS knob on Taranis (To use for Tilt)

After I have set this knob up on my Taranis. Do I need to go into Naza and enter anything to have it read that RS is for tilt? I have been assuming I need to calibrate X1 and then move the knob in order for Naza to recognize X1. But I have no X1 on my Assistant software. Naza v2. Just seems like I'm missing something

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Let me run it again and see. Right now I have:

-Channel 5 Open
-Set Ch5 to my RS knob on Taranis (To use for Tilt)

After I have set this knob up on my Taranis. Do I need to go into Naza and enter anything to have it read that RS is for tilt? I have been assuming I need to calibrate X1 and then move the knob in order for Naza to recognize X1. But I have no X1 on my Assistant software. Naza v2. Just seems like I'm missing something

Youll have to figure out what the Naza/zenmuse wants to see as the channel for gimbal tilt. This would probably be in the DJI manual.

I don't recall what Naza channel is assigned for x1. Again, should be in the manual.

If channel 5 in the taranis software is open, you can use that. Just make sure it lines up with what the Naza wants.

EDIT:

make sure you don't have the X1 channel set up to do remote gain tuning. This may mess with your use as gimbal tilt control.

Are you using sbus?

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidN

Thanks
David

Figured it out. Taranis sliders were not properly calibrated.

PCMAerial

Youll have to figure out what the Naza/zenmuse wants to see as the channel for gimbal tilt. This would probably be in the DJI manual.

I don't recall what Naza channel is assigned for x1. Again, should be in the manual.

If channel 5 in the taranis software is open, you can use that. Just make sure it lines up with what the Naza wants.

EDIT:

make sure you don't have the X1 channel set up to do remote gain tuning. This may mess with your use as gimbal tilt control.

Are you using sbus?

Yes using sbus connection

So I connected to a PC and tried to see if the Zenmuse Assistant software(aside from naza) would help me. Nothing!!

-Connected to GCU via mini USB
-Installed Zenmuse driver and Assistant

The software is showing my current firmware, so I know it's connected. But there is literally NOTHING in the Zenmuse assistant, as in nothing moves, toggles, shows up. But if I go to info its connected. Can't believe its this difficult to tilt the camera. I blame myself, but also don't know what the heck I'm missing lol!

Pic attached shows the one and only screen I can see in the Zenmuse assistant. Nothing else except the info tab which shows I'm connected

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 248

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Despite the illogical nature, I'm pretty sure that the control is actually in the Naza assistant. Are you seeing your pot (or slider) control X1? If not, that's your issue I'd imagine.

The X1 handled field gain tuning as well , so make sure that X1 is not chosen to control any of those parameters (should be a drop down menu next to the X1 info).

PCMAerial

Despite the illogical nature, I'm pretty sure that the control is actually in the Naza assistant. Are you seeing your pot (or slider) control X1? If not, that's your issue I'd imagine.

The X1 handled field gain tuning as well , so make sure that X1 is not chosen to control any of those parameters (should be a drop down menu next to the X1 info).

Exactly. When in Naza I don't see the pot(slider) control the X1. I can toggle EVERY switch/slider on my Taranis and nothing makes X1 movement. Wondering if it's the Naza issue or incorrect Taranis input