XAircraft SuperX - Taranis - X8R

mediaguru

Friends,

I've got my Tarot T960 all set up, powered up the bird and have lights on the 8XR and SuperX.

Hopefully tonight I will be binding the Taranis transmitter to the 8XR, which is connected to the SuperX via SBus.

Once that is done, what is next? This is my first build. I'm assuming the configuration mode of the SuperX software.

SoCal Blur

If you're using SBUS, make sure that you set the receiver settings in the Taranis radio to D16 and channels 1-16 before you bind the receiver. You will also need to place jumpers across pins 1-2 and 3-4 (I think that's correct - double check on the instructions) The Channels default to 1-8 and must be changed. After you finished binding the receiver, you can power down and remove the jumpers.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Friends,

I've got my Tarot T960 all set up, powered up the bird and have lights on the 8XR and SuperX.

Hopefully tonight I will be binding the Taranis transmitter to the 8XR, which is connected to the SuperX via SBus.

Once that is done, what is next? This is my first build. I'm assuming the configuration mode of the SuperX software.

Before you set up the receiver as 1-16, I'd suggest calibrating the ESCs first. That way you can use RX output #3 to do it - which will be easiest. If you've already set it up as 1-16, then you can copy the throttle channel over to one of the 9-16 outputs (physical 1-8 on the RX once it's bound as 1-16).

Then, You definitely need to follow SoCals advice and get the receiver bound correctly. Then (props off!) power up the superx and do your initial setup after you select the settings, you'll want to do the stick configuration for the superx which will tell the FC which direction the sticks are going. There should be no need to reverse/invert any channels once you do the stick config.

I havent ent been able to check/confirm yet - but the taranis will want the end points changed for the channel #7 output fkr remote gain tuning. I'll post back my findings for the exact numbers.

mediaguru

Before you set up the receiver as 1-16, I'd suggest calibrating the ESCs first. That way you can use RX output #3 to do it - which will be easiest. If you've already set it up as 1-16, then you can copy the throttle channel over to one of the 9-16 outputs (physical 1-8 on the RX once it's bound as 1-16).

Then, You definitely need to follow SoCals advice and get the receiver bound correctly. Then (props off!) power up the superx and do your initial setup after you select the settings, you'll want to do the stick configuration for the superx which will tell the FC which direction the sticks are going. There should be no need to reverse/invert any channels once you do the stick config.

I havent ent been able to check/confirm yet - but the taranis will want the end points changed for the channel #7 output fkr remote gain tuning. I'll post back my findings for the exact numbers.

Thanks. Is there a proper guide for ESC calibration with the SuperX? I'm using Sbus.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks. Is there a proper guide for ESC calibration with the SuperX? I'm using Sbus.

ESC throttle calibration is done without the FC. Just the throttle output directly to the ESC. There are some very easy to follow directions on YouTube.

Basically, connect servo from RX throttle channel output to the servo on the ESC. power up Tx, put throttle stick all the way up, then power RX and ESC. You will hear beep - then you lower throttle stick. You'll hear more beeps. Power off RX/ESC. Move to next ESC and repeat.

mediaguru

ESC throttle calibration is done without the FC. Just the throttle output directly to the ESC. There are some very easy to follow directions on YouTube.

Basically, connect servo from RX throttle channel output to the servo on the ESC. power up Tx, put throttle stick all the way up, then power RX and ESC. You will hear beep - then you lower throttle stick. You'll hear more beeps. Power off RX/ESC. Move to next ESC and repeat.

I've watched a few YouTube videos and also read the manual for my model of ESC. Here's what I'm deducing the process to be, after I've bound the RX:

1. Attach cable from throttle channel of RX to ESC
2. Switch on receiver
3. Move throttle to top position
3.5 Power it up
4. Beep/tone will indicate top throttle position
5. Move throttle to lowest position
6. ESC will beep to indicate number of cells*
7. After indicating number of cells, ESC beeps to indicate bottom throttle position

*my escs auto detect the number of cells. So if I program with a 3S I have laying around but will eventually use a 6S is that ok?

There are many other programmable items in my esc's like brake, cutoff mode, start mode etc, but they recommend the defaults.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
All good except you should always have your Tx on first.

What type of ESCs? Usually there are changes to be made to them for programming - which should be done before the throttle calibration. The defaults are often not right. Maybe yours are different?

mediaguru

All good except you should always have your Tx on first.

What type of ESCs? Usually there are changes to be made to them for programming - which should be done before the throttle calibration. The defaults are often not right. Maybe yours are different?

HobbyWing ESC-HW-PL-40A-PRO

Here are the defaults:

Brake: off
Battery type: lipo
Cutoff mode: soft
Cutoff threshold: middle
Start mode: normal
Timing: 15
Governor: off
PWPM Freq: 12kHz
BEC output: 5.25v
Lipo Cells: auto

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think you'll want the battery type set to NiMH and the cutoff set to low.

Which motors are you running? I had a hell of a time with SS 3508-20 580kv and the hobbywing 30A with the superx. I'm going to begin the process of tearing down to swap ESCs soon.

mediaguru

Which motors are you running? I had a hell of a time with SS 3508-20 580kv and the hobbywing 30A with the superx. I'm going to begin the process of tearing down to swap ESCs soon.

May be a dumb question, but why set battery type to HiMH? I'm running 6S lipos on the bird.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
May be a dumb question, but why set battery type to HiMH? I'm running 6S lipos on the bird.

Something to do with the lipo setting can trigger it to cut off I think. I can't recall - but you will definitely find it if you search for ESC settings.

mediaguru

First, many thanks to those trying to help. I've made some progress, but I've run into a wall.

I've bound the receiver in mode-4 as per the manual. Now this says to jump the signal channel of 1&2, and 3&4. Looking at the manaul here: http://postimg.org/image/ka4emc9up/ it does not show a 1-16 mode.

I'm powering it up with one esc/motor hooked up to the 1st port on the 8XR. I copied the settings for channel 1 (throttle) to channel 9 because I'm not really sure if in that mode it is channel 1 or channel 9. The manual doesn't cover sbus mode very well. The esc is beeping waiting for me to configure it, but nothing I do on the remote does anything.

The power distribution board is supplying the power to the esc. I get beeping regardless of whether or not the RX is powered.

What is my error?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Option 4 is correct. It's channels 1-16 because 1-8 are sbus, 9-16 are the standard analog outputs.

Is the receiver getting power? The hobbywing 30A OPTO is not going to be able to power it. You'll have to hook the sbus up to get power (unless you have another ESC or UBEC lying around you can plug into an open channel on the RX.

Are you sure the throttle stick is being output from channel 1 & 9? You can see that on the taranis in the outputs page. I think you access it from hitting the page button (don't have the taranis here).

Last edited by a moderator:

mediaguru

Option 4 is correct. It's channels 1-16 because 1-8 are sbus, 9-16 are the standard analog outputs.

Is the receiver getting power? The hobbywing 30A OPTO is not going to be able to power it. You'll have to hook the sbus up to get power (unless you have another ESC or UBEC lying around you can plug into an open channel on the RX.

Are you sure the throttle stick is being output from channel 1 & 9? You can see that on the taranis in the outputs page. I think you access it from hitting the page button (don't have the taranis here).

I'm seeing the throttle movement graphic display on channels 1 and 9. Now perhaps I should mention that I'm powering the RX with a voltage regulator/distributor. That distributor is taking 22.2 volts from the PDB and converting it down to 5v. The PDB is also powering the esc/motors directly. So if I unhook the supply to the RX from the regulator, it still powers up. Maybe I should cut the hots of the esc cables?

So I should change the TX to channels 1-16? Also very dumb question, but is it internal or external in the remote? I'm working with the internal setup.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The radio should be set to D1-16. Internal - because you're not using an external module. Then bind the RX with the jumpers. Turn it off, then remove jumpers, then plug your servo from ESC #1 into the throttle output channel. That's when you power up Tx, throttle all up, power RX, then throttle down after beep. Repeat.

It shouldn't matter how you get power to the RX, sbus from superx, regulator etc. as long as it's powered up you're fine.

You dont need any of the red or black wires from ESC to superx.

mediaguru

The radio should be set to D1-16. Internal - because you're not using an external module. Then bind the RX with the jumpers. Turn it off, then remove jumpers, then plug your servo from ESC #1 into the throttle output channel. That's when you power up Tx, throttle all up, power RX, then throttle down after beep. Repeat.

It shouldn't matter how you get power to the RX, sbus from superx, regulator etc. as long as it's powered up you're fine.

You dont need any of the red or black wires from ESC to superx.

Checked:

Radio set to D16 internal.
Channels set to 1-16.
I took two servo cables and cut off the hot and ground, leaving only the signal cable, and bound the RX with channels 1&2 jumped and 3&4 jumped.
NO cables are attached to the superx, no sbus connected.
I turn on the TX, then move the throttle to 100%
Then I power up the bird. Shortly after the ESC starts to beep.

Esc beeps, motor twitches with each beep. Moving throttle does nothing. I must be missing something obvious.

That's as far as it gets. I wonder if there's some way to check the outputs of the RX and make sure the throttle signal is really there?

Perhaps I need to calibrate my radio?

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Have you done the taranis stick calibration??? I don't think it would effect this - but if you have not done it, you absolutely should. Make sure the taranis is all set up properly before moving forward - since this is what is going to determine all data transmitted to the craft - for calibration or flight. THIS should get you started.

You still have the throttle copied over to the 9th channel? It shows on the taranis screen? You removed the jumpers from the Rx before powering up? You are seeing the green light on the Rx?

Make sure the cut servo wires are heat shrinked (or elec tape) so they can't short anything.

If the motors are twitching then I think it typically means it's not seeing signal (or power???). Mine were doing that when I was having the problem I mentioned in an earlier post. But it should not be doing this for the Rx cal.

Just for giggles, plug the sbus into the rx sbus port from the superx X port (it will power it - so remove any other power that you have been using), run one servo to the ESC from the throttle channel. Then try the procedure again.

mediaguru

Have you done the taranis stick calibration??? I don't think it would effect this - but if you have not done it, you absolutely should. Make sure the taranis is all set up properly before moving forward - since this is what is going to determine all data transmitted to the craft - for calibration or flight. THIS should get you started.
I'll do that next, hopefully late tonight.

You still have the throttle copied over to the 9th channel? It shows on the taranis screen? You removed the jumpers from the Rx before powering up? You are seeing the green light on the Rx?
Yup, throttle still copied to 9. Both channels show on the monitor when I move the stick. Jumpers removed yes. Green on RX yes.

Make sure the cut servo wires are heat shrinked (or elec tape) so they can't short anything.
Are you talking about the cut servo wires when I jumped it? Or are you talking about cut servo wires which go to the superX? All my servo wires to/from the escs have all three wires still.

If the motors are twitching then I think it typically means it's not seeing signal (or power???). Mine were doing that when I was having the problem I mentioned in an earlier post. But it should not be doing this for the Rx cal.
I'm guessing no signal, since moving the sticks does nothing. They should have power, but I'm not ruling anything out of course.

Just for giggles, plug the sbus into the rx sbus port from the superx X port (it will power it - so remove any other power that you have been using), run one servo to the ESC from the throttle channel. Then try the procedure again.
So: Connect sbus between the RX and SuperX and no power supplied to the superx from the voltage regulator. Then plug one esc into channel 1/9 as I have before? I can try that.

Many thanks for the help.

mediaguru

I never answered this. Sorry about that. I'm running the Tarot 5008/340kv with 40A-PRO hobby wing escs.