XAircraft SuperX - Taranis - X8R

Anyone get this combination working properly with Failsafe / RTH when using SBUS? If so, how....... Loving this radio but want to make sure I have it all the way setup. I have everything working, including a RTH switch. Setup Custom Failsafe, but when I power off the TX, I appears to put the SuperX in ATT Mode as signified with a slow blinking Green instead of RTH with blinking Reds. Thanks much, ~T.J.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Anyone get this combination working properly with Failsafe / RTH when using SBUS? If so, how....... Loving this radio but want to make sure I have it all the way setup. I have everything working, including a RTH switch. Setup Custom Failsafe, but when I power off the TX, I appears to put the SuperX in ATT Mode as signified with a slow blinking Green instead of RTH with blinking Reds. Thanks much, ~T.J.

Fail safe will not work with S-Bus, X8R is still on even though radio maybe off and SXFC does not interpret the signals correctly, you will need to set it up via the radio, best way is on 'no pulse' then RTH

David

Yes as witnessed if you turn your radio off LED should flash red

David

Ok, so forgive my Noobness as I just got the Taranis.....

I am using Companion9x, so in the TX, under FS, set to "No Pulses", where do I then set RTH or the rule?

Thanks again!!

~T.J.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Ok, so forgive my Noobness as I just got the Taranis.....

I am using Companion9x, so in the TX, under FS, set to "No Pulses", where do I then set RTH or the rule?

Thanks again!!

~T.J.

Oh dear! your taxing my not too good memory, you need to read the instructions for your X8R, from memory, you set up the switches you want on the radio, this would mean setting the RTH switch, you then bind that to the X8R by the method you read in the manual for the X8R

That's the best I can do for you

David

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Crazy thing is this shows it can be done......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZCPft1VltY

I asked him how he did it and he mentioned putting FS in Custom, setting channel 6 to 100% in the FS on the TX.

Beating my head on concrete!!

~T.J.

I don't disagree, but was he using SBUS? if you get an email off to your local Xaircraft distributor and ask them if Fail-safe works in SBUS you may find they say no, it has to be done via the radio which means binding with the RX as per the X8R manual, remember that the no pulse RTH cannot be sent by the TX if it is off! it has to come from the RX which is on.

EDIT: I have just seen this on another forum, you may want to read/join the conversation
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28018181&postcount=2572

Good Luck with your quest

David

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't disagree, but was he using SBUS?

David, If you look at that video closely, you will see it is SBUS. He told me that he did NOTHING at the receiver and everything in the Failsafe Tab of the Companion9x software. He said put it at 100% on Ch6 and that is all he did. Gonna try another message to him to get more details......

~T.J.

Just to circle back and provide an update!!

Using a Taranis, Super X using SBUS, and an X8R receiver, FAILSAFE WORKS PERFECTLY!!! Yes, using SBUS.

Steps:

1. Setup everything possible in Companion9x you normally want. Set Receiver mode to D16 for the X8R, and Ch1 thru Ch16.
2. Click on Failsafe tab and select Custom.
3. Put Ch 6 on 100% (this is the rub in my case as even though I did it, it did not work).
4. Save EEPROM to radio.
5. Bind RX and TX together. DO NOT SET ANY FAILSAFE ON RX!!!
6. Now, to fix it up! On the TX, go to the Failsafe setup. It will be in custom already, so skip to SET and press ENT.
7. Minus down to Ch6. If your's is like mine was, it was not at +100%. Press ENT
8. Now move your RTH switch you setup on the radio to the RTH position and make sure it is showing +100% on the bar.
9. Press and hold ENT to commit changes.
10. Exit back to main screen. Power cycle TX and RX and test.

Now if I read the model into Companion9x, it all looks fine. If I make any changes and write to the EEPROM, everything is updated EXCEPT the failsafe. After writing to your Taranis each time, repeat steps 6 thru 10 and you will be set. Even if Ch6 shows 100% after a write, still repeat steps and save or it won't work. Must be a bug in Companion9x?

Hope this helps someone! BTW, I am using Super X with Stella, as well as the FrSky 4 CH SBUS Decoder. ALL 16 Channels work on SBUS, along with Failsafe!!

Regards,

~T.J.

skquad

Using a Taranis, Super X using SBUS, and an X8R receiver, FAILSAFE WORKS PERFECTLY!!! Yes, using SBUS.

Steps:

1. Setup everything possible in Companion9x you normally want. Set Receiver mode to D16 for the X8R, and Ch1 thru Ch16.
2. Click on Failsafe tab and select Custom.
3. Put Ch 6 on 100% (this is the rub in my case as even though I did it, it did not work).
4. Save EEPROM to radio.
5. Bind RX and TX together. DO NOT SET ANY FAILSAFE ON RX!!!
6. Now, to fix it up! On the TX, go to the Failsafe setup. It will be in custom already, so skip to SET and press ENT.
7. Minus down to Ch6. If your's is like mine was, it was not at +100%. Press ENT
8. Now move your RTH switch you setup on the radio to the RTH position and make sure it is showing +100% on the bar.
9. Press and hold ENT to commit changes.
10. Exit back to main screen. Power cycle TX and RX and test.

Now if I read the model into Companion9x, it all looks fine. If I make any changes and write to the EEPROM, everything is updated EXCEPT the failsafe. After writing to your Taranis each time, repeat steps 6 thru 10 and you will be set. Even if Ch6 shows 100% after a write, still repeat steps and save or it won't work. Must be a bug in Companion9x?

Hope this helps someone! BTW, I am using Super X with Stella, as well as the FrSky 4 CH SBUS Decoder. ALL 16 Channels work on SBUS, along with Failsafe!!

Regards,

~T.J.

Thanks for working that out. I'm looking forward to trying it when my Taranis arrives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
write, still repeat steps and save or it won't work. Must be a bug in Companion9x?

Regards,

~T.J.

That's great T.J I'm thinking the test is now to turn on SuperX get a bind X8R goes green and then turn off the radio, what does the LED do?

The thing that doesn't seem right to me is you redoing the failsafe whenever you burn new to the eprom, I don't know about you but I am forever modifying my eepe adding stuff fixing setting, and I have never redone the failsafe, I know mine works because when I turn the radio off the LED flashes the same red pattern that I have when I go RTH.

Anyway I dug around and found the X8R instructions I have attached here the relevant section, still if the way you did it makes you happy then that's cool just so long as you are getting the right feedback of failsafe

Attachments

• IMG_NEW.jpg
    IMG_NEW.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 429

That's great T.J I'm thinking the test is now to turn on SuperX get a bind X8R goes green and then turn off the radio, what does the LED do?

The thing that doesn't seem right to me is you redoing the failsafe whenever you burn new to the eprom, I don't know about you but I am forever modifying my eepe adding stuff fixing setting, and I have never redone the failsafe, I know mine works because when I turn the radio off the LED flashes the same red pattern that I have when I go RTH.

Anyway I dug around and found the X8R instructions I have attached here the relevant section, still if the way you did it makes you happy then that's cool just so long as you are getting the right feedback of failsafe

David,

When I turn off the TX, the LED now blinks double red in the same pattern RTH does. It is definitely working as it should.

I tried the FS as the X8R instructions said, and this only put the Super X in ATT mode. Go figure.

Anyway, resetting FS on the radio after the burn is no big deal to me. Most important is the Telemetry, SBUS with 16ch, and a working FS / RTH!!

~T.J.

PS: Hopefully someone else can confirm my findings and report back if they have the same issues as I did after an EEPROM write.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
David,

When I turn off the TX, the LED now blinks double red in the same pattern RTH does. It is definitely working as it should.

I tried the FS as the X8R instructions said, and this only put the Super X in ATT mode. Go figure.

Anyway, resetting FS on the radio after the burn is no big deal to me. Most important is the Telemetry, SBUS with 16ch, and a working FS / RTH!!

~T.J.

PS: Hopefully someone else can confirm my findings and report back if they have the same issues as I did after an EEPROM write.

Fantastic, hope you never have to use it! and a experience that I hope you can avoid, I once landed and immediately turned off the radio, my X650 burst into life and took off! to say I was surprised is an understatement I was sh**** myself thinking I was about to have the SuperX's first fly away.

I turned the radio back on, got control landed and went home, studying the blackbox I saw that I turned off the radio within the 3 second wait period and SuperX saw that as a RTH signal, so hope you can avoid that, wait at least 3 seconds from motors off to turn off the radio :tennis:

David

dazzab

I once landed and immediately turned off the radio, my X650 burst into life and took off! to say I was surprised is an understatement I was sh**** myself thinking I was about to have the SuperX's first fly away.

I turned the radio back on, got control landed and went home, studying the blackbox I saw that I turned off the radio within the 3 second wait period and SuperX saw that as a RTH signal, so hope you can avoid that, wait at least 3 seconds from motors off to turn off the radio :tennis:

David
Wow, thanks for the warning. I didn't know that. I hope they change that. It's a serious safety issue. I think the APM once did that and they did an enhancement to prevent it. I think it had to do with adding logic that if it was on the ground or already within a radius of take off it wouldn't engage RTL but I'm not sure. Of course having it disarm automatically after three seconds is good but sooner or later someone will be injured by this which will be awful for both the user and XAircraft.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Wow, thanks for the warning. I didn't know that. I hope they change that. It's a serious safety issue. I think the APM once did that and they did an enhancement to prevent it. I think it had to do with adding logic that if it was on the ground or already within a radius of take off it wouldn't engage RTL but I'm not sure. Of course having it disarm automatically after three seconds is good but sooner or later someone will be injured by this which will be awful for both the user and XAircraft.

Well not really! it is a good feature to have, say your flying and for some reason your thrust stick goes to zero the motors will power off the vehicle will start tumbling to earth, you have 3 seconds to apply thrust which will start the motors and you have saved the day! hooray! hooray! you are a hero :nevreness:

Just remember about the landing story :highly_amused:

Zirt57

Why change something when the problem is the radio was turned off first. ALWAYS, and I mean always disconnect the battery from your multicopter before turning off your radio. No matter who builds the controller, a multicopter without power cannot fly away. Actually, this rule applies to all RC equipment (plane, car, boat etc)

Jeff

Why change something when the problem is the radio was turned off first. ALWAYS, and I mean always disconnect the battery from your multicopter before turning off your radio. No matter who builds the controller, a multicopter without power cannot fly away. Actually, this rule applies to all RC equipment (plane, car, boat etc)

Jeff

As Buzz Lightyear would say, I am not flying, I am Falling With Style!! Same with an airborne multi rotor with out power.....falling with style....with a VERY HARD LANDING!

~T.J.

Zirt57

As Buzz Lightyear would say, I am not flying, I am Falling With Style!! Same with an airborne multi rotor with out power.....falling with style....with a VERY HARD LANDING!

~T.J.

TeeJeeBee, is that you? If so, believe it or not, good to see you. :)

Posted using Tapatalk