FrSky/Taranis Owners Thread

boba7523

Hi guys, so i followed the instructions and placed 2 jumper pins on channel 1, 2, 3, 4.
Change channel output to 1-16 on the Taranis. Mode still D16.

Nothing changed. Still cant bind... Still getting the flashing red LED... What could possibly be wrong? I dont understand why it's so hard to bind a Rx.. :(

whdpCT0.jpg

boba7523

This is what Frsky tech support Ray told me to do. Is he correct? I told him it's Sbus...

Hi, pls try the bind process again as blow process:

1, set X9D in D8 mode, channel range CH1-8, enter the "Bind".

2, connect X8R CH7 and CH8 signal pins by jumper to set the X8R receiver to D8 bind mode ( no need to hold the F/S button on X8R).
the receiver red led flashing indicating bind established.

3, both turn off the transmitter and receiver, remove the short cap, and power cycle, the X8R green led will solid on in normal operation mode.
Ray

boba7523

So i just tried what Ray told me and I get a solid green now. I turn off my Taranis and it flashes red. So it binded.

But which method is correct, the one you guys suggested or Ray's? He put me in Mode 1 while you guys suggested Mode 5 of the Rx binding Operation in the manual.

Anyways, now i try to play with throttle, motor doesn't turn on though. Am i supposed to calibrate in Naza Assistant or something?

min0nim

Yep - try once more. Make sure the Taranis is on, and in bind mode too.

Just thinking, how far away from the Rx is the Taranis when you're trying to bind? I often have an issue where the Taranis looses signal when it's closer than about 30cm's to the Rx. Move it away a bit so you can be sure it's able to transmit and receive.

Edit - never mind - you got it working :)

Last edited by a moderator:

min0nim

You won't be able to spin the motors up just by moving the throttle around. You need to arm the motors first. With the Naza, the arm signal is both sticks down to the left or right. Pick one - I use left. As soon as you do this, the motors will spin up to idle.

Do it just to check, and then yes - plug the Naza into your laptop and set it up properly.

boba7523

You won't be able to spin the motors up just by moving the throttle around. You need to arm the motors first. With the Naza, the arm signal is both sticks down to the left or right. Pick one - I use left. As soon as you do this, the motors will spin up to idle.

Do it just to check, and then yes - plug the Naza into your laptop and set it up properly.

Didn't work. Moved both sticks to bottom left then tried to play with throttle.

boba7523

Guys, so i just opened up Naza Assistant with the Taranis off. I get this error below. Is it a big deal?

Motors Start failure caused by TX stick(s) mid point error too bigIf the TX stick(s) mid point error is too big, Motors Start will fail when you execute the Combination Stick Commands (CSC) and lead to the aircraft will not takeoff.. And the LED will blink Red four times per second continually to warn you.
TX stick(s) mid point error too big can be caused by the following reasons:
(1) There is TX stick (except the throttle stick) not at center when power on the autopilot system.
(2) The TX sticks has been trimmed, which leads to the large deviation of mid point. For example, the SUB-TRIM has been adjusted for Futaba transmitter.
(3) The TX stick(s) travel has larger asymmetry.
For the reason (1), please put all TX sticks at the mid point, and then power cycle the autopilot system to re-record the mid point. If the problem continues, that can be caused by the reason (2) or reason (3), you need to adjust the output range of your TX, and then use the Assistant Software to redo the TX calibration. Please carry out the following procedures.
(1) Connect to the Assistant software, click Basic-> R/C-> Command Sticks Calibration, and push all TX sticks throughout their complete travel range to see if any stick cannot reach its largest position.
(2) Adjust the largest travel of TX stick until the cursor on the Assistant software can reach both end positions, according to your TX manual.
(3) Power cycle the autopilot system, note that power cycle is required.
(4) Redo the TX calibration according to the Assistant software.
<!--EndFragment-->

boba7523

Ok - getting closer.

If you haven't done any other setting up, then Gringers' excellent post will get you there.

Read here for the basic how-to:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...tructions-for-FrSky-Taranis-X8R-and-Naza-M-V2

I'll take a look tomorrow but I just got this reply from the Frsky tech after explaining to him that I got it to bind using D8, Ch 1-8, and jumping channels 7 and 8 on receiver:

i doubt that the F/S button on the X8R has some issue. Pls open the shell of X8R and try to bind it in D16 mode(Mode5 ,without jumper), when in step about press and hold F/S on X8R, you can short the F/S button to replace holding F/S.

Ray.

Kind of confused..

Gary Seven

Rocketman
You want mode 4. That will give you channels 1-8 on sbus, and make the physical outputs 9-16 for use with other things (gimbal etc). Also, mode 4 will allow you to use telemetry.

Forgive me for jumping in here (I'm a clueless newbie). But this is so counter-intuitive it's making my scalp itch. I'm looking at the X8R manual and it seems to me that the choice should be Mode 5, channel output CH1-CH8 or Mode 1, channel output CH1-CH8. I don't get it. But what [MENTION=11354]Motopreserve[/MENTION]; is saying is that if you want to use S-Bus, you must use Mode 4, channel CH9-CH16 in order to get the first CH1-CH8 channels. Anyone else see my confusion?? Yes, I'm confused. Of course the friggen #$&@%! manual doesn't help and there is no mention of what to do when using S-Bus.:confused:

Kudos to everyone for this thread, BTW!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Deep breaths Gary :).

For sure the frsky literature is a little shady.

The reason you want mode 4 is that it provides the additional channels available in sbus configuration on 9-16. Sbus defaults to having software/radio channels 1-8 on the sbus wire, so you might as well set it yo so you can access software/radio channel 9-16 on the physical outputs. In the case of mode 4, the software/radio outputs 9-16 show up on what is labeled 1-8 on the physical receiver, giving you a full 16 channels to work with.

Make sense?

min0nim

Yeah, the manual :)

What mode 4 gives you is CH1-8 through the S-Bus, and CH9-16 through the ports.

This is great, because you can use the first 8 channels to drive the flight controller through s-bus, then use the rest of the physical channels to plug into gimbals, camera shutter triggers, lights, etc.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Deep breaths Gary :).

For sure the frsky literature is a little shady.

The reason you want mode 4 is that it provides the additional channels available in sbus configuration on 9-16. Sbus defaults to having software/radio channels 1-8 on the sbus wire, so you might as well set it yo so you can access software/radio channel 9-16 on the physical outputs. In the case of mode 4, the software/radio outputs 9-16 show up on what is labeled 1-8 on the physical receiver, giving you a full 16 channels to work with.

Make sense?

Yes and no. I totally get what you are saying about S-Bus defaults to channels 1-8 which leaves you with channels 9-16 available on the unused receiver pins. But looking at this friggen manual it doesn't really clue you in that you need to choose Mode 4. I mean:
attachment.php

Is this obvious to everyone else but me?? Thanks again for the post.

Attachments

• FR_SKY.jpg
    FR_SKY.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 279

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Yeah, the manual :)

What mode 4 gives you is CH1-8 through the S-Bus, and CH9-16 through the ports.

This is great, because you can use the first 8 channels to drive the flight controller through s-bus, then use the rest of the physical channels to plug into gimbals, camera shutter triggers, lights, etc.

Thanks @min0nim; see my reply to Motopreserve. I just wish the manual was clearer on this. As I said, it's quite counter intuitive IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal Blur

Thanks @min0nim; see my reply to Motopreserve. I just with the manual was clearer on this. As I said, it's quite counter intuitive IMHO.

This is not unique to FySky or even this hobby. Many times manuals are written by engineers. They write from an engineering perspective and make certain assumptions about the end user's basic knowledge - which of course is erroneous since most end users aren't engineers. Throw into the mix that the manual is likely a translation from another language and you get information that is confusing at best. The only thing worse is a manual that is written by someone who has never even seen the product and is just going off of engineering notes.

boba7523

That's all fine.

Just calibrate the Taranis - follow this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9yJCxQw3Yc&feature=youtu.be&t=3m17s

Then also run through the calibration in the Naza Assistant.

The message from FrSky support is confusing! He seems to be suggesting there's something wrong with the f/s button, and you can activate it by taking the case off.

Thanks so much for all the help so far, really appreciate it!

I just got a reply from Ray (Frsky tech).

Basically, my X8R can bind in D8 mode but not D16 mode, so he wanted me to take off the shell and try to bind in D16 mode. And if it can bind in D16, that means the F/S button is malfunctioned.

So for me using SBus and no gimbal, is D8 the correct mode or D16?

From Ray:

From your information, the X8R can work in D8 mode and not work in D16 mode, so i doubt that the F/S button on the X8R has some issue.
"Pls open the shell of X8R and try to bind it in D16 mode(Mode5 ,without jumper), when in step about press and hold F/S on X8R, you can short the F/S button to replace holding F/S."

Using this way, if the receiver can work in D16 mode, that says the button has some issue.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Thanks so much for all the help so far, really appreciate it!

I just got a reply from Ray (Frsky tech).

Basically, my X8R can bind in D8 mode but not D16 mode, so he wanted me to take off the shell and try to bind in D16 mode. And if it can bind in D16, that means the F/S button is malfunctioned.

So for me using SBus and no gimbal, is D8 the correct mode or D16?

This doesn't make sense at all. Have you seen this video: "How to bind FrSky X8R receiver to Taranis X9D transmitter in D16 mode" ?

http://youtu.be/1IYg5mQdLVI

Gary Seven

Rocketman
That was the video i watched before binding for my first time. No jumper on any signal pins, D16, channel output 1-8, external RF off.

All i got was a flashing red LED.

Well I'm fresh out of ideas then. Have you considered your X8R is defective? What a freakin bummer. :upset: