FrSky/Taranis Owners Thread

boba7523

Well I'm fresh out of ideas then. Have you considered your X8R is defective? What a freakin bummer. :upset:

It's able to bind in D8 though... Maybe i should do what the Frsky tech said and remove the shell and try to bind in D16 mode, and if it works in D16, that means the F/S button is defective?

I dont know if I would void warranty policy from Aloft if i remove the shell though... I'll contact Aloft right now to ask.

thomasleja

All you guys are great at starting this new thread for beginners. I am a beginner with a Phantom 1 and 2 using individual DJI radios. I just purchased a Taranis X9D Radio with a X8R receiver and know nothing about programming the radio. Could someone help me get started with a set up for the P1 or P2 and than i could use this guide for other birds.

The radio has a SD card and I was hopping to get a copy of a working model the start me off. I would send a SD card or make any arrangement necessary.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
All you guys are great at starting this new thread for beginners. I am a beginner with a Phantom 1 and 2 using individual DJI radios. I just purchased a Taranis X9D Radio with a X8R receiver and know nothing about programming the radio. Could someone help me get started with a set up for the P1 or P2 and than i could use this guide for other birds.

The radio has a SD card and I was hopping to get a copy of a working model the start me off. I would send a SD card or make any arrangement necessary.

You won't need to send the card anywhere - that's the genius of the internet - you can just download it when you find it :)

Seriously though, you might want to start HERE: Great thread on setting up the Taranis with the Naza M (which is what your Phantom 2 has (slightly different version). Use that thread to get familiar with the concepts before downloading anything - just so you'll know what's up when you get to work. In terms of getting the Phantom to recognize a 3rd party Rx, you might be best checkoing out/posting over in the DJI/Phantom section.

I did a quick Google search and came up with a thread that had a download for a Phantom model on the Taranis.

Good luck and fly safe.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
You won't need to send the card anywhere - that's the genius of the internet - you can just download it when you find it :)

I did a quick Google search and came up with a thread that had a download for a Phantom model on the Taranis.

Good luck and fly safe.
[MENTION=11354]Motopreserve[/MENTION]; You crack me up. I don't know why but I knew you were going to post that. :friendly_wink:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
@Motopreserve; You crack me up. I don't know why but I knew you were going to post that. :friendly_wink:

I wasn't trying to be [too much of] a wise a** :)

But I have recognized that mention of other forums ends up getting edited, so I figured I'd post the Google search itself. I definitely didn't go though all the inks, but there were plenty to sift through. I think he will find what he's looking for with a little digging, or at least a good place to start.

boba7523

@boba7523; Did you get your issue resolved? Just curious.

Yep got it resolved! Sent it back to Aloft and got a replacement, it binds perfectly to D16, Ch 1-16 now!

Quick question. Which mode should I be in for the binding? If you look at X8R manual, there's 5 modes...

I have Sbus... No plans for gimbal right now but do have plans for telemetry.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yep got it resolved! Sent it back to Aloft and got a replacement, it binds perfectly to D16, Ch 1-16 now!

Quick question. Which mode should I be in for the binding? If you look at X8R manual, there's 5 modes...

I have Sbus... No plans for gimbal right now but do have plans for telemetry.

Mode 4 is what you're looking for. If you plan on doing an ESC throttle calibration, and haven't done it yet, you can copy (or duplicate) the throttle channel to an empty channel (I used 11 - which is now the 3rd physical output on the X8R in mode 4) in Companion 9x so that you have access to the throttle output on a physical servo output.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Seven

Rocketman
"Throttle Warning" when I start up Taranis

Hello everyone. Been playing around with my new Taranis for the last 24 hours or so. Went through the calibration steps as outline by R. Scott Page and even managed (after a lot of confusion and hassle) to update the firmware of the Tx. However, I'm getting the "Throttle Warning" message at startup every time, even when the stick is in the full down position.

What to do?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hello everyone. Been playing around with my new Taranis for the last 24 hours or so. Went through the calibration steps as outline by R. Scott Page and even managed (after a lot of confusion and hassle) to update the firmware of the Tx. However, I'm getting the "Throttle Warning" message at startup every time, even when the stick is in the full down position.

What to do?

I haven't updated yet - but maybe double check the trims???

Gary Seven

Rocketman
I haven't updated yet - but maybe double check the trims???

AFAICT the trims are centered (Taranis will even tell you when they are centered). I was having this "Throttle Warning" message before the firmware update and thought updating it would help. It didn't. Just don't know what to do now.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
AFAICT the trims are centered (Taranis will even tell you when they are centered). I was having this "Throttle Warning" message before the firmware update and thought updating it would help. It didn't. Just don't know what to do now.

You did the stick cal in the taranis, correct? If so, I'm not sure what it would be.

Maybe be try adding a new model and copy the basic settings over to that to see if the throttle issue follows it over.

vellocer

What to do?

This may not be related, mine did the same thing due to the throttle stick refusing to stay in the off position.... it would always spring up slightly.....there is a fix video on youtube for this, involves taking the back off the radio.... very easy to do.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This may not be related, mine did the same thing due to the throttle stick refusing to stay in the off position.... it would always spring up slightly.....there is a fix video on youtube for this, involves taking the back off the radio.... very easy to do.

Wow. Would be interesting to know if this is the case. Do you have a link to the video? Would be good to have it here in the thread.

Were you able to test it by holding the throttle stick all the way down?

Gary Seven

Rocketman

Hello Vellocer. This is quite possibly what's causing the problem as I can see that the hash mark on the gimbal stick does not match up exactly with the hash line on the gimbal margins. It's off ever so slightly...not even 1mm (appears to be about 0.5 mm offset). I am extremely wary of pulling apart my brand new Taranis! :dread:

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Wow. Would be interesting to know if this is the case. Do you have a link to the video? Would be good to have it here in the thread.

Were you able to test it by holding the throttle stick all the way down?

Motopreserve, I just tried that. Tested by holding gimbal stick down to where the two hashlines meet up. Result is NO throttle warning. If I turn off Tx, let go of gimbal and turn back on, I DO get the throttle warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just watched the video. Although I can sort of see what he did to fix this, what worries me is the disassembly of the case. I know what a "Inspector Clouseau" I am.

I have taken apart a Tx before. It's really more intimidating BEFORE you pull it apart. You could contact the retailer and ask for a replacement, but that might take a while?

take the back off and check it out - worse case is you put it right back on and ship it back :)