XAircraft SuperX - Taranis - X8R

dazzab

Why change something when the problem is the radio was turned off first.
Jeff
Anything that increases safety and prevents possible injury is a good thing in my book. People make mistakes. If you ignore that fact then your product won't be as safe as it could be. It's not exactly a big deal to program that safety feature in to the flight controller.

Zirt57

Anything that increases safety and prevents possible injury is a good thing in my book. People make mistakes. If you ignore that fact then your product won't be as safe as it could be. It's not exactly a big deal to program that safety feature in to the flight controller.

I was flying planes long before flying multicopters. Planes don't have a flight controller. The flight controller is you. The procedure is always turn your radio on first and turn it off last. If you don't do that, the mistake is yours, not the manufacture of whatever you are flying. Right now, if you go to my flying club field and turn on your plane first, they'll kick you out of the club for unsafe practices. These procedures are safety related that all pilots should be following. Airline pilots have a safety checklist to go through and so should you. Take ownership of your own unsafe practices.

Jeff

p.s. So, yes, a manufacture could code something into your flight controller, but if you decide to fly a plane later, you will not have gotten into the proper habit of turning on the radio first and turning it off last. This is the last I will say on the subject. If you decide to fly unsafe, that's your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

I was flying planes long before flying multicopters. Planes don't have a flight controller. The flight controller is you. The procedure is always turn your radio on first and turn it off last.
..........inflammatory statements removed by the moderator..........This is about making complex systems more robust and safer. If the eyesight of one person is saved by a simple change in code, isn't that a very good thing? ..............more inflammatory statements removed.......... BTW, just two weeks ago one of the most experienced RC plane pilots at our club lost two fingers in a prop accident. So don't think your experience or attitude make you immune from accidents.

Airline pilots follow checklists alright. But planes actually have serious warning systems for some strange reason. I guess you think those are a bad idea as well? In spite of this, there is a case where the pilot disarmed that alarm and the entire flight crew skipped a section of the checklist. They took off with a fully loaded plane without flaps deployed and got caught in some wind. Crashed and killed everyone.

................yet more inflammatory statements removed.....................It's a fairly simple concept that anything that increases safety is a good thing. I bet the people in the example I gave above would have really appreciated a system that prevented that flight crew from taking off without flaps deployed. Then again, I'm sure you would have known better.

a lot of other stuff after this post was deleted. abide dudes.

skquad

Just to circle back and provide an update!!

Using a Taranis, Super X using SBUS, and an X8R receiver, FAILSAFE WORKS PERFECTLY!!! Yes, using SBUS.

Steps:

1. Setup everything possible in Companion9x you normally want. Set Receiver mode to D16 for the X8R, and Ch1 thru Ch16.
2. Click on Failsafe tab and select Custom.
3. Put Ch 6 on 100% (this is the rub in my case as even though I did it, it did not work).
4. Save EEPROM to radio.
5. Bind RX and TX together. DO NOT SET ANY FAILSAFE ON RX!!!
6. Now, to fix it up! On the TX, go to the Failsafe setup. It will be in custom already, so skip to SET and press ENT.
7. Minus down to Ch6. If your's is like mine was, it was not at +100%. Press ENT
8. Now move your RTH switch you setup on the radio to the RTH position and make sure it is showing +100% on the bar.
9. Press and hold ENT to commit changes.
10. Exit back to main screen. Power cycle TX and RX and test.

Now if I read the model into Companion9x, it all looks fine. If I make any changes and write to the EEPROM, everything is updated EXCEPT the failsafe. After writing to your Taranis each time, repeat steps 6 thru 10 and you will be set. Even if Ch6 shows 100% after a write, still repeat steps and save or it won't work. Must be a bug in Companion9x?

Hope this helps someone! BTW, I am using Super X with Stella, as well as the FrSky 4 CH SBUS Decoder. ALL 16 Channels work on SBUS, along with Failsafe!!

Regards,

~T.J.

Works great T.J. Thanks for that.

dazzab

And while I've stirred you up about safety issues - how do you feel about the inclusion of a geofence? XAircraft doesn't have that function and I think it's a great idea to limit the ceiling or distance your copter can go as they have in the APM/Pixhawk and DJi's Wookong.

I just came back from a 16 min flight with my hex and SuperX in the wind. It was incredibly stable. They certainly have the flight capability down. So if they just add a few features it would be a big bonus. Regardless great value and very stable flight. Good fun!

And while I've stirred you up about safety issues - how do you feel about the inclusion of a geofence? XAircraft doesn't have that function and I think it's a great idea to limit the ceiling or distance your copter can go as they have in the APM/Pixhawk and DJi's Wookong.

I just came back from a 16 min flight with my hex and SuperX in the wind. It was incredibly stable. They certainly have the flight capability down. So if they just add a few features it would be a big bonus. Regardless great value and very stable flight. Good fun!

My feeling is we are going to see some neat stuff real soon for SuperX.....Ground Station, Bio-Motion, etc...... :)

~T.J.

fltundra

That's great T.J I'm thinking the test is now to turn on SuperX get a bind X8R goes green and then turn off the radio, what does the LED do?

The thing that doesn't seem right to me is you redoing the failsafe whenever you burn new to the eprom, I don't know about you but I am forever modifying my eepe adding stuff fixing setting, and I have never redone the failsafe, I know mine works because when I turn the radio off the LED flashes the same red pattern that I have when I go RTH.

Anyway I dug around and found the X8R instructions I have attached here the relevant section, still if the way you did it makes you happy then that's cool just so long as you are getting the right feedback of failsafe

Failsafe with Taranis and X8R only gets setup in the TX not in the receiver!

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
That was before the latest tx and rx firmwares.

No it wasn't it's off the FrSky web site! at any rate, as TJ acknowledged every time he writes to the eprom he has to re-do his failsafe... go on read that in his post!
Now if I read the model into Companion9x, it all looks fine. If I make any changes and write to the EEPROM, everything is updated EXCEPT the failsafe.

Now I have more than one eepe, a couple really as I run 2 gimbals and other stuff, I am forever writing to the eprom from companion if I had to do the failsafe every time I would bound to forget once, the once I needed failsafe and it wasn't there! FrSky have never issued a notification "now you have the new firmware you must re-write your failsafe every time"

I have since day 1 flashed my X8R with the failsafe only once did I confirm it with an accident fortunately very high up radio turned off failsafe kicked in, I turned the radio back on and took control, other than that, I use switch RTH almost every time I fly.

I don't care if you use the TJ method just don't be so adamant that it is right and the only way because it's not.

X

fltundra

Attachments

• 20140421_075212.jpg
    20140421_075212.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 217

fltundra

And how does this support your original incorrect statement?

X
I guess i should have specified if your running OpenTX 2940 and you have latest firmware in receiver and TX. From what i remember reading that those instructions were for Frsky factory software not Opentx 2940.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
I guess i should have specified if your running OpenTX 2940 and you have latest firmware in receiver and TX. From what i remember reading that those instructions were for Frsky factory software not Opentx 2940.

We are flogging a dead horse here! I have OpenTX 2940 and have latest firmware in receiver and TX and still flash failsafe using the X8R for the re-write reasons I have mentioned, you do it what ever way you want, just don't advise unsuspecting users that TJ's way is the only way, because it is NOT the FrSky way.

Ended now

x