Y6 Builders thread

Dewster

those look very cool... my y6 is very ghetto compared to yours... one day i'd like to find time to build mine properly and get rid of all external wires and esc so it looks tidy...
anyway, after haveing used an X8 copter for 6 months, i decided i wanted a y6 with foldable arms for trasnport purposes, the x8 was a p.i.t.a to load in a fully loaded car.
Y6 is also way better for orientation.
mine started off as a blueskyrc.com spider frame , i modified it a bit to allow folding front booms.
View attachment 5480View attachment 5481View attachment 5482View attachment 5483View attachment 5484

AQ50D board, Emax GT2215/12 upper motors, GT2215/09 lower motors. 11x45 APCE top, 10x5 Xoar bottom. Turnigy Plush 30, quadframe.com landing gear , 4s 5000 25c turnigy lipo, Panasonic GF2 with 14-42 camera. 5.8Ghz 200mW TX with separate camera, 3.2kg AUW . 8 minutes flight time.

I like that you built your frame. You only need to tidy up the wiring.

yeow

Hi,

I own 2 Mk and fine this is the time for me to try out WKM on Y6, anyway I have few question below:
My setup is DW Y7
Axi 2814/22 motor
photohigher av130 mount
Plan to carry nex5n or occasionally a canon t2i
1. What esc should I use? the dji opto 30A is enough for me?
2. Is there any good recomendation on power distribution board that I can buy off the shelve? There are so many type, what should I look for?

Thanks

George

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

I own 2 Mk and fine this is the time for me to try out WKM on Y6, anyway I have few question below:
My setup is DW Y7
Axi 2814/22 motor
photohigher av130 mount
Plan to carry nex5n or occasionally a canon t2i
1. What esc should I use? the dji opto 30A is enough for me?
2. Is there any good recomendation on power distribution board that I can buy off the shelve? There are so many type, what should I look for?

Thanks

George

George the Opto's would be plenty big enough.

As for the distribution board I use this drop Goeff at Quadcopters.co.uk and ask him wnat I used . I cannot see the make as its buried in my build.

BUT I take TWO sets of power leads off the board so I can run one or two batteries. I run 2 5000mah 25c Overlanders or their lighter 4250mh 35c and get just the same flight times. The overlanders are the lightest mh for mh. I get about 12/15 mins with GoPro/Nex5 and 9/12 mins with canon 550D.

Dave

luckyone

Hi I'm a newbie here.
Was wanting to build my first y-6 but need some help. I was wanting to buy a frame off Rusty's link below.
http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/Rusty-s-UAP1-Frame-Kit/
Was wanting the Castle creation Pheonix 25A ESC's with the Avroto 2814 heard these were a excellent combo?
But not sure on the props size? Also for the FC looking at the Naza-m with GPS and have a go-pro camera added to this mix.
any thoughts on any of this set up?
Thanks
L1

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
I use a UAP-1 frame for my Y6,the spec is in post 27 of this thread.

Mine has the square ally arms which makes it pretty bullet proof,if a little heavy.Flies great ,and the frame is very adaptable should you wish to change configuration.

View attachment 5484

Heres a boring early video

excuse the untidy wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_20120120_153706.jpg
    IMG_20120120_153706.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 386
Last edited by a moderator:

luckyone

Very cool Y6 if i can get mine half that nice i'll be satisfied. 'Man Droider y6 is my dream world quad Heheh!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jem

Aye Up Jem welcome to the Y6 clan.. Looks a nice MR U still happy with her?

Hi Dave. Very happy with my ADX3. I've got a AV130 on it now and had maiden flight with my GH2 yesterday. All seemed OK, although I was taking it very carefully, until about 7 mins then I lost most of my anticlockwise yaw. I put this down to the extra weight. I was wondering what your gains are set at as we seem to have very similar builds. Cheers, Jem

ZAxis

Hi Dave. Very happy with my ADX3. I've got a AV130 on it now and had maiden flight with my GH2 yesterday. All seemed OK, although I was taking it very carefully, until about 7 mins then I lost most of my anticlockwise yaw. I put this down to the extra weight. I was wondering what your gains are set at as we seem to have very similar builds. Cheers, Jem

Jem ...

Don't just think gains, also consider the alignment of the motors. On a Y6 this is critical. We had our Y6 motors a bit out of vertical alignment and had all sorts of yaw problems. After realigning every motor so that it was truly vertical the yaw was perfect. We relied on the alignment holes predrilled into the arms and got caught out so don't trust them alone, always measure directly.
When we did have the yaw problems, half the motors were being worked harder than the others to correct the yaw and pulling more current, subsequently the escs (Mikrokopter BL) were getting rather warm. Its possible your's are getting warm enough to affect your esc's performance.
Good luck

andy

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

Aye up Jim..

I agree with Andy. Check motor alignment. The holes in the arms are correct BUT there is play in the fixing bolt that goes through the body plates and arms. This is enough to throw the prop tips seriously out.

Even when you have this tight and with no movement you have to make sure u evenly tighten the motor mount bolts evenly. Keep nipping them up and checking prop distance to what it is standing on.

Seven mins in does sound like overheating of ESC's. OR it could be that the voltage in the pack are getting to low and motors cant deliver the correct power thet the FC is wanting.

What packs are you using?

I use 2 x 5000mah Overlanders and can get between 9 and 11 mins but I dont because she dont fly good below 14.1 volts.

What is you set up?

Dave

yeow

Hello
I just build my DW Y6, maiden without any yaw problem.The only issue is a bit wobble while take off compare to mk, I have already key in the exact location of IMU and GPS in dji assistant sw but only improve a bit, could it be the default gain is too high?

Few question here:
1. What is common setting for 1st level and 2nd level voltage protection for 4S lipo? I think the default setting did not use up all mah of lipo...
2. I saw it somewhere but cant find it now that someone showing telemetry feature by using graupner mx20 radio, any idea?
3. I had purchase the 2.4 datalink, does it have osd to transmit to my lcd display?

Many thanks

George

yeow

Hi Droider ,

My opto 30 is getting 65 Celsius after flight(dw y6, not install gimbal yet) , I am not comfortable with this. Wonder what's ur setup is?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I run mine to max of 75ºc before I get a warning fro my telemetry. I have flown them at 90ºc with out any problems but I would not like to go that hhi. I did have problems when I used MK with overheating but since I moved to WKM I have not had any issues. On my HL Y6 I am running 25amp pentiums... I think!

Dave

yeow

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reply.
My current setup is opt0 30A with APC13x6.5 prop, I suppose if reduce the prop size and upgrade the ESC to 40A will lower the temperature right? Wonder what prop you use?

George

Jem

Aye up Jim..

I agree with Andy. Check motor alignment. The holes in the arms are correct BUT there is play in the fixing bolt that goes through the body plates and arms. This is enough to throw the prop tips seriously out.

Even when you have this tight and with no movement you have to make sure u evenly tighten the motor mount bolts evenly. Keep nipping them up and checking prop distance to what it is standing on.

Seven mins in does sound like overheating of ESC's. OR it could be that the voltage in the pack are getting to low and motors cant deliver the correct power thet the FC is wanting.

What packs are you using?

I use 2 x 5000mah Overlanders and can get between 9 and 11 mins but I dont because she dont fly good below 14.1 volts.

What is you set up?

Dave

Cheers guys.
I checked the motor alignment and found one of the front arms was out by about 1cm at the prop tips, I don't know how much that would effect the yaw.
Realigned all the motors to within a couple of mm and went out for a flight yesterday. First set of packs seemed OK, took it fairly easy though. On the second set the same thing happened at 7 min. Anticlockwise yaw seemed OK but clockwise made it twitch and jump al over the place.
Here's my setup. ADX3 HL, WKM, T-motor 40A ESCs, Torxpower 3536 motors, Graupner 11.5 props, 2x Turnigy 5000mah 30-40c, AV130 with Panasonic GH2. Total weight 4.75kg.
Never fly it below 14.4 volts and ESC temp if usually between 25 and 40.
Any thoughts.
Cheers,
Jem

Dewster

Attachments

• Raven Y6 front.jpg
    Raven Y6 front.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Raven Y6 right side.jpg
    Raven Y6 right side.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Raven Y6 left side.jpg
    Raven Y6 left side.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Raven Y6 rear.jpg
    Raven Y6 rear.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 347

jcmonty

Cheers guys.
I checked the motor alignment and found one of the front arms was out by about 1cm at the prop tips, I don't know how much that would effect the yaw.
Realigned all the motors to within a couple of mm and went out for a flight yesterday. First set of packs seemed OK, took it fairly easy though. On the second set the same thing happened at 7 min. Anticlockwise yaw seemed OK but clockwise made it twitch and jump al over the place.
Here's my setup. ADX3 HL, WKM, T-motor 40A ESCs, Torxpower 3536 motors, Graupner 11.5 props, 2x Turnigy 5000mah 30-40c, AV130 with Panasonic GH2. Total weight 4.75kg.
Never fly it below 14.4 volts and ESC temp if usually between 25 and 40.
Any thoughts.
Cheers,
Jem

What type of flight times are you seeing with that 4.75kg weight?

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Here she is. Raven. Testing the throttle response. I hovered inside the house. Its very nimble, and quick. I converted DJI's F550 frame to accept Avroto motors. I have 11 inch Graupner props. Hopefully the loading won't be too much for the 30 amp escs. Im looking forward to putting it in the air.

Looking forward to the maiden video ;)

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Dewster

My Y6 throttle curve seems a little sharp when I descend close to the ground. I'll lower the craft into a smooth descent and once I reach a certain level in throttle my craft will drop suddenly causing me to throttle up at times. Do I need to adjust gains for throttle? This occurs when flying in attitude mode. It has plenty of power in manual mode and a consistent throttle.

DJI F550 converted to a Y6
Avoroto 2814/11s motors
11x5 inch Graupner props
30 amp esc
3S 6000 mah lipos in parallel: 12000
Aeroxcraft landing gear

Sometimes my landings are a little harder than intended. I was able to float to a nice landing with my flat hexa. Is it just the behavior of a Y6 in ground effect?
Gopro Hero 2 camera