Y6 Builders thread

matwelli

thanks Pete, I can identify with project creep, or in my case "crazy idea creep"

to bad the Y6 is for Pat (the guy who owned the Vtail 8 that you thought was ugly) , its being converted into a Y6 , the 8 was over the top for him

how do you rate your hex ? coning to get semi serious and photograph all of Taranaki this year (bit of a project with the kids) and thinking a decent hex may be idea, that and a wing for windy days
going to make whatever it is out of wood - grown to like building with it over the past month, and if i have a battery drill and a hacksaw in the car a length of wood, i can repair on-the-run which would be important if at whangamomena or mt damper falls .

yes.... i said ALL of Taranaki !

View attachment 9416

Attachments

• taranaki.jpg
    taranaki.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 343

Efliernz

Pete
I love my DW VM-6. Assembled in hours, everything locked into place straight. A pleasure to build after diy'ing for so long. I have flown it in 30Km winds (Hoverfly is awesome in the wind) but I am using thin APC's - not SF. SF catch the wind too much. I haven't fpv'd the DW yet (tomorrow!).

The Y6 (at this stage) will have wooden arms. I am trying to decide if I use 55g, 75g or buy another 2x120g motors as I have 4 spare. If I go the 120g way, I will make the arms out of carbon to keep it rigid. It will end up being similar to the VM-6... yet I really want a travel Y6. I think the 55g will be too light. Ok for the gopro, no good for the LX3/gimbal. 75g motors will fit on 18mm square pine :)
A travel (fold-able) Y6 will let me backpack it into some tramping areas.

Not that I'm indecisive! Today's build I thought about at work yesterday, drew/designed at home in 10 minutes, built in 4 hours!

Dewster

Here is mine :)
View attachment 12133

Have you guys dealt with any yaw issues?? I am having a yaw in forward flight. . . I am using a multiwii board right now. . . . No matter how I seem to crank up the P or I it acts the same so far. . . Any thoughts? (let me know if you want me to start a different thread for this, i couldn't find one) All motors/rotation/props and such have beed triple checked and the yaw is always clockwise and it only starts after I am moving forward at a good pace (not right away).
I am wondering if it is a "tail heavy" thing??[/

Do you have the same sized props and motors on top and bottom? I think the Y6 needs to have a near perfect balance to prevent Yaw issues. The lower props (if equal) are working through the prop wash from the top rotors, combine that with a craft that has more weight on one arm than the others and that could result in Yaw issue. Think about forward flight. The tail rotors are doing the pushing while the forward arms keep the craft level. Do you experience yaw issues when flying the craft with a single arm pointing forward? These are just my unscientific thoughts. I built a Y6 using WKM. I haven't had any flight issues. I'm trying to increase flight time though. So I'm toying with the idea of longer props on top, but wonder if I will generate yaw issues.

matwelli

a simple way to test your theory is shift the weight forward.

i think, is more that fact that the lower props have a greater effect on yaw than the uppers, as they are the last in line in the vertical air column you are creating

you have two front lower props, both creating a clockwise yaw component, in forward flight, all arms equally contribute to forward flight, and as forward flight requires more thrust (as a % is used for forward motion) you will overall have a greater clockwise yaw component that the flight controller will have to fight harder to compensate. also the rear lower prob, in forward flight is in "dirty air" thats been disturbed by the guts of the frame, which will also affect the yaw tourque produced

thats my 2 cents anyway.

my only y6, used opposite pairs on the front and didnt notice an issue, maybe the right hand arm you could try reversing both motors/props/channels and see if there is a diference

fr3style

So my Y6 is now finally airborne!

I have just got some of the YAW fixed. Thank you Irisaerial.

But i need some advice what is the best absolute best way to allign the motors so that the are perfectly horizontal. Im using a Rusty Y6 UAP2 with vibration dampening motor mounts.
My rid felw today somewhat stable for first outdoor test flight, How ever when i yaw, it will jump up 5 to 6 inches and yaw real fast. Im guessing i need to set a curve in my futaba TX ??
also when i took of second time today it did a counter clock wise yaw 90% by its self. But this only happened once out of 5 times. Could this be related to the arms not beeing dead center so tha tthe motor can maybe have some sort of incline?

One more thing was flight time. A very stock UAP2 Y6 from rusty no gimbal no antivibration gimbal kit just a Turnegy Nano-Tech 4S 5.0 ( i admit second charge ever on that battery) only lasted 7 minutes. I was hoping for much more then that say 10 minutes.
I will be using two of these batteries later when i start working with the RIGG.

Any one know how much i need to set the NAZA gps/compas to on the Z axis when i use a BadgerFly Dome?

On the Naza V2 compared to my V1 I dont get the initial fast three blinks indicating that the IMU is warming up. My naza will arm a second after I turn it on. is this normal?

Last question any one have one of these like mine?

Rusty UAP2 Y6
Antivibration MotorMounts
NAZA V2
Nano-Tech 5.0 4S Turnegy
ZTW SimonK 30A esc
[h=1]Gemfan Carbon Reinforced 11x4.7

View attachment 12378[/h]

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 254

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Have you tried assigning the yaw gain to a slider/knob on your radio and playing with that? I think you probably got your arms square enough. I'm guessing it's something else at this point. Let's see what someone else has to offer on this.

fr3style

Have you tried assigning the yaw gain to a slider/knob on your radio and playing with that? I think you probably got your arms square enough. I'm guessing it's something else at this point. Let's see what someone else has to offer on this.

My Y6 is now airborn and flying pretty decent! Need to just get some battery plate holders and make the gps face the right angle! What yuribsaid about aligibg my motors on the arms solved my ywa issue!

Now to see about propps! I have 11 inch all round! Some people aay use small underneath

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
you'll be fine with the same top/bottom. Dont get hung up on the mixed prop theory for now. It may buy you a few extra seconds in the air at best. For what you are doing 11 graupners, apc 11 Slo Fly's will work just fine. If you want to experiment with Xoar and carbons just be prepared to spend a lot, wait a lot more, and balance even more than that!

Dewster

My Y6 crashed after I hit DJI's 2nd level voltage protection. I think the reduction of power combined with the difference of prop pitch and diameter caused my craft to spin. I was running Graupner 11x5 on the top and 12x6 on the bottom. This is just info to be mindful of if you run into a low power situation. I need to replace my Aeroxcraft landing gear, props, and the old lipos that flat lined on me. I've since turned off the voltage protection and use a lipo alarm. I'd rather have a damaged lipo vs a craft dropping from the sky.

vislaw

My Y6 crashed after I hit DJI's 2nd level voltage protection. I think the reduction of power combined with the difference of prop pitch and diameter caused my craft to spin. I was running Graupner 11x5 on the top and 12x6 on the bottom. This is just info to be mindful of if you run into a low power situation. I need to replace my Aeroxcraft landing gear, props, and the old lipos that flat lined on me. I've since turned off the voltage protection and use a lipo alarm. I'd rather have a damaged lipo vs a craft dropping from the sky.

Long ago I turned off the voltage alarm and rely on the Quanum Telemetry system from HobbyKing to monitor voltage. It is SO much better to have that realtime voltage data. The other day I noticed one cell going haywire in a suspect 6S LiPo -- very obvious due to the bar display for each of the 6 cells. I'd have never seen that by relying on total voltage. Best $50 I have spent: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Telemetry_System_Volt_Amp_Temp_mAh_V3_0.html

Dewster

Long ago I turned off the voltage alarm and rely on the Quanum Telemetry system from HobbyKing to monitor voltage. It is SO much better to have that realtime voltage data. The other day I noticed one cell going haywire in a suspect 6S LiPo -- very obvious due to the bar display for each of the 6 cells. I'd have never seen that by relying on total voltage. Best $50 I have spent: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Telemetry_System_Volt_Amp_Temp_mAh_V3_0.html

Thanks!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
What is everyone using now that Graupners are not available

Grupners are abvalible if you look hard enough. Flash RC in france has the biggest collection and most are in stock. Electric wingman is supposed to be getting restocked in July. I think he has limited 10x5 in at the moment but I was forced to get some from Flash. Good service also but the website is only in french so I just emailed them my requirements and they sorted it.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Different props top and bottom on DJI stuff does not work well. Stick to the same top and bottom.

Dave

fr3style

Tried my Y6 Rusty with AVROTO using 11 inch blades. With two 5000mah Turnigy Nano-Techs i only get 8:30 minute flight until the red light on the naza starts to blink!!!
What can I do to get 12 minute flight times. This is using a Brushless gimbal for a gopro. Imagine when i try to lift a nex5 i wont get 5 minutes is that it?

I need more then 10 minutes flight times!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
This is the down side to coaxials. With a flat hex you probably would get closer to 10 minutes. It's a part of life with coaxials.

fr3style

So had a little misshap today. After a smooth flight in wind gusts. Testing out my FPV equipment that worked amazing with the brushless gimbal. Landed and did not turn of motors yet as i wanted to do another takeoff. I left the button for less cyclic on and the thing just went sideways on me and busetd out 3 blades :-( So now that I need to order more blades ( yes I only bought 2 extra blades. stupid me) What Blades should I get ? I have a total 3.5 kilo machine with the batteries and all. Using AVROTO motores 2x 5000MAH 4s batteries. I am currently running on 11x4.5 Gamfan carbon reinforced blades all round. Would like to test 12x3.8 what do you guys say? Would actually like to buy some cheap blades of many sizes to try out different setups.. And when i find what is best i will get wooden XOAR

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry to hear. Dont know why having your dual rates switched would do that unless you had one of them linked to do something else like a fail safe. But even then.

I'd try APC 11 and 12" slow fly's. Tried and true easiest prop to balance. Work great for most applications. maybe fast flying FPV is not one of their strong points but will still work fine.

fr3style

Yeah Yuri thanks..

Im going to buy some 12x3.8 found a local guy in Rio De Janeiro that has some. Not so much more then usa so im happy! But 12x3.8 is what i need right? I have 11x4,7 now

Wonder if changing them around a bit will give me some benefits.

Fast flying is not my priority now. But man the wind gusts were big and the Y6 not yet so balanced was doing a great job. Might post video if any one is curious

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
They will def work but remember they are capable of lifting a lot more so if your not loading them properly you can expect some vibrations and poor wind performance. Of course your gimbal may band-aid most of that. Get them both and try them, they are cheap, strong and always available which is whats so great about them.