Y6 Builders thread

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@Andy.. ypu dont half make some stuff... nice one.

@Dewster. Not sure whats going on there. If its ok in manual then I doubt throttle curves in the TX are going to do anything.

Dave

Dewster

Here's a short video of my DJI 550 Y6 conversion. I will post a longer video of some of the flight once I assemble some good footage:

Youtube: http://youtu.be/ajcUgabb_Hs

DJI F550 with modified arms (hacked) for Y6. Frame painted flat black to get a uniform color (electrical contacts not painted)
DJI 30 amp opto esc
Photoshipone power distribution (used for more connections)
Avroto Motors 2814/11s
Graupner 11x5 inch E-flight props
Xaircraft dome
Futaba super 8fg and receiver

I fly with 2x 6000 mah Genesis 3s lipos and get a flight time of 9 to 11 mins (11 minutes max flight time at hover).

I need to adjust the gains so that it's response is not so crisp during flight transitions.

I've tested RTH (I didn't let it land itself out of fear of damaging props during possible tip over). It was extremely windy the other day flying and RTH struggled to bring the craft back. It actually flew sideways (45 degrees off home heading), but tracked on a straight and slow course home. I took control of the craft and had no problem adjusting for the wind. I guess RTH is good on calm wind days?

The craft flies fine. It's not as floaty as my former flat Hexa. I would have to reduce throttle a lot to get my flat Hexa to come down from altitude.

I may put extensions on the arms later to test it's flight characteristics. Your advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

Does longer arms relative to prop size increase control? I'm thinking about lowering the gains on my WKM for smoother flight. Right now it snaps to hover when I release the sticks. I want my Y6 to ease into the transition. I bought extension for my F550, but haven't used them. I have 11x5 inch Graupners (which are great props!). It leave about 1.5 inches from the dome of my craft. The props are almost as long as the arms supporting the motors.

Danub

I have some questions about y6 setups and graupner props.
All of the graupner props are 5 pitch that are available cw/ccw AFAIK.
I have read that the lower props should have a higher pitch. You guys run same pitch top and bottom and tune down the top motor to spin a bit slower?
If so would it be reasonable to try to use something like avrotos on top 770kv and maybe t-motor 900kv motors on the bottom?

Or is it best to just use 10" props up top and 11" props on the bottom?
Should the lower props always be larger? It seems some of you guys use same size AND pitch top and bottom.
I am trying to get a better grasp on this y6 theory ;) Thanks

vislaw

I have some questions about y6 setups and graupner props.
All of the graupner props are 5 pitch that are available cw/ccw AFAIK.
I have read that the lower props should have a higher pitch. You guys run same pitch top and bottom and tune down the top motor to spin a bit slower?
If so would it be reasonable to try to use something like avrotos on top 770kv and maybe t-motor 900kv motors on the bottom?

Or is it best to just use 10" props up top and 11" props on the bottom?
Should the lower props always be larger? It seems some of you guys use same size AND pitch top and bottom.
I am trying to get a better grasp on this y6 theory ;) Thanks

I use same graupner props top and bottom and same Avroto motors top and bottom on my Droidworx Y6 and it flies beautifully.

yeehaanow

I wouldn't use different KV motors.

Back when I had a Y6 I ended up using 10x4.7 apc on top and 9x5 grapner on bottom. You want the lower props to spin faster so use a smaller prop on bottom.
It flew well for me, after I maxed the yaw gain at 300 on the naza.
I have a bunch of perfectly good used props I could sell, so PM me if you are interested.

Danub

I wouldn't use different KV motors.

Back when I had a Y6 I ended up using 10x4.7 apc on top and 9x5 grapner on bottom. You want the lower props to spin faster so use a smaller prop on bottom.
It flew well for me, after I maxed the yaw gain at 300 on the naza.
I have a bunch of perfectly good used props I could sell, so PM me if you are interested.
I have heard the opposite also. . . use larger props on the bottom. . . That is why I am a bit confused. . . it seems that there are a bunch of different theories.
How did you get the lower motors to spin faster? Can it be adjusted in most FC's GUI?? ( i plan on using CC to start)

yeehaanow

By using smaller props on the bottom it will naturally spin faster with everything else the same. Probably even with the same size on the bottom too, because of the airflow.
My theory was since the bottom props are in the prop wash of the top, they need to move the air faster than it's already moving in order to have equal power and torque. So that's why, I guess. Seemed to work for me.

Danub

By using smaller props on the bottom it will naturally spin faster with everything else the same. Probably even with the same size on the bottom too, because of the airflow.
My theory was since the bottom props are in the prop wash of the top, they need to move the air faster than it's already moving in order to have equal power and torque. So that's why, I guess. Seemed to work for me.
hmmm . . . I thought the kv X voltage determined the speed of the motor?? (with the exception of overloaded motors)
That is why I was thinking about higher kv motors on the bottom. Most ppl seem to be using th same motors top and bottom soo I think that is where I will start. ;)

yeehaanow

Different loads will produce different RPM.
It's based on the motor Kv but it depends on the prop what the final rpm will be.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Jake Built may want to chip in here. He has a CC Y6 and it flies really nice.. From memory he is usinf same top and bottom..
JAKE?

I use WKM and same props and motors top and bottom. I am just guessing here but I would think when you set the confiruration of the Multi to Y6 in the tools it will make some adjustment in the config for a coaxial. With my old MK set up you could set different % to top and bottom motors.

You fancy a MK set up cheap? I got the full monty with Graupner MX20 radio all boxed up and waiting for a new home!

Video of my latest Y6

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Hi,yes my Y6 is running with torxpower 2216,graupner 10x5 on all motors,and using OPCC.

Heres a video of it,I think I was using 11" graupners on all motors then .

Danub

Jake Built may want to chip in here. He has a CC Y6 and it flies really nice.. From memory he is usinf same top and bottom..
JAKE?

I use WKM and same props and motors top and bottom. I am just guessing here but I would think when you set the confiruration of the Multi to Y6 in the tools it will make some adjustment in the config for a coaxial. With my old MK set up you could set different % to top and bottom motors.

You fancy a MK set up cheap? I got the full monty with Graupner MX20 radio all boxed up and waiting for a new home!
Well the most of you guys are saying use the same motors and props sooo that is where I will start.

I am going to pass on the mk offer, Thanks though. . . . If I upgrade from my current gear I'll be looking at either hoverfly or dji ;)

Off to go grab a half dozen of everything. LOL

Thanks guys for the input and the videos. I will post up some pics when I get everything finished :)

Danub

Here is mine :)
View attachment 9410

Have you guys dealt with any yaw issues?? I am having a yaw in forward flight. . . I am using a multiwii board right now. . . . No matter how I seem to crank up the P or I it acts the same so far. . . Any thoughts? (let me know if you want me to start a different thread for this, i couldn't find one) All motors/rotation/props and such have beed triple checked and the yaw is always clockwise and it only starts after I am moving forward at a good pace (not right away).
I am wondering if it is a "tail heavy" thing??

Attachments

• DSC00062.jpg
    DSC00062.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 347

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I had a serious yaw to the right on my Y6 with wookong. The fact that it happened so erratically though made it really hard to diagnose. I just blamed it on not setting the gains right but who knows. Y6's are the most sensitive to gains and arm alignment of all the configs. But I also know for sure my arms were perfect 90 deg to the table and 120 deg spacing (which is not as critical). I would say if your Y6 is consistently doing the same thing that it is more mechanical than gains but it could be a mix of both.

matwelli

thought i would post up a pic of my latest build, just so pete (efliernz) can see not everything i build is hideous :)

12mm carbon, 550 mm MTM, 750 kv RC timer motors , and the plastic parts are a special "impact modified PLA" very strong and flexiable, not like normal PLA plastic, but a bear to print (sags and droops, lifts of the table and distorts if you look sideways at it while printing)

Modified my motor mounts after a discussion with Bart on another thread, my old design could potentially stress the motor base - thanks bart

Attachments

• DSCF9112.jpg
    DSCF9112.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF9113.jpg
    DSCF9113.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCF9114.jpg
    DSCF9114.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCF9115.jpg
    DSCF9115.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 336

FerdinandK

Here some pics of my Y6. Was a "recycling" project, and since I try to build all other copters "stealth", at least this one should shine and blink:

DSC01694.JPG

and when the night comes ...

DSC01692.JPG

best regards

Ferdinand