hexhome

Television Broadcast Engineer, SUSA operator
I'd highly recommend heading towards the gh4... 2 man setup so you can get the whole camera part off your plate and just concentrate on flying the perfect paths/glide slopes, etc.

Having seen the results on this forum from the GH4 I would agree. Unfortunately it does not have an SDI connector to output to the Cobham and the aim is not to record on camera, that is to say we will but only as a back up. We are not in the 'cinema' market, I am happy to leave that to the incredibly talented people such as yourself and in my part of the world, the very talented (and athletic) Lec Park. We need a very robust but light camera which outputs via a SDI BNC. We have FS700s but they are a little too heavy and possibly not up to daily use in a typical UK environment.

Of course, this all sounds very brave at the moment, but with a deadline fast approaching, we might just end up with a GH4 and an HDMI adaptor :)

Clive

Having seen the results on this forum from the GH4 I would agree. Unfortunately it does not have an SDI connector to output to the Cobham and the aim is not to record on camera, that is to say we will but only as a back up. We are not in the 'cinema' market, I am happy to leave that to the incredibly talented people such as yourself and in my part of the world, the very talented (and athletic) Lec Park. We need a very robust but light camera which outputs via a SDI BNC. We have FS700s but they are a little too heavy and possibly not up to daily use in a typical UK environment.

Of course, this all sounds very brave at the moment, but with a deadline fast approaching, we might just end up with a GH4 and an HDMI adaptor :)

Clive

What are you needing SDI out for? We used our S900 for a livestream at a concert and we came out of light bridge, into a HDMI - SDI converter then when into the video switcher. We had the lightbridge set to realtime at 720p but recorded internally at 4k.

hexhome

What are you needing SDI out for? We used our S900 for a livestream at a concert and we came out of light bridge, into a HDMI - SDI converter then when into the video switcher. We had the lightbridge set to realtime at 720p but recorded internally at 4k.

Mainly to reduce latency and to allow direct connection to a Solo7. The output could be live mixed with other cameras operating on triax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainly to reduce latency and to allow direct connection to a Solo7. The output could be live mixed with other cameras operating on triax.

Why not use something like a Paralinx Arrow since they make one that uses HDMI instead of SDI? Also what exactly are you trying to do?

hexhome

Why not use something like a Paralinx Arrow since they make one that uses HDMI instead of SDI? Also what exactly are you trying to do?

That's a good suggestion and something which I hadn't considered. At first glance it answers all of the issues at a much lower cost compared to the Cobham solution. What a great source this forum is! I will investigate further and report back. Thanks Shawn.

That's a good suggestion and something which I hadn't considered. At first glance it answers all of the issues at a much lower cost compared to the Cobham solution. What a great source this forum is! I will investigate further and report back. Thanks Shawn.

No problem. They also have the Arrow X if you need some more range.

hexhome

No problem. They also have the Arrow X if you need some more range.

Yes I was looking at that. A very attractive price! Have put the wheels in motion to find out more, particularly regarding UK frequency compliance. They already have the necessary CE mark.

Thanks again.

smaris

Like the way you take the shots aebiagio . I like your show real. What stuff you use ?

SamaraMedia

I couldn't agree more! The first few gigs I ever had 3 years ago the entire video I made for a client was all aerial haha, gets somewhat boring. Since then I have been a one man production, my brother just got out of the air force so he has been helping me out with being a camera op. Yea lots of driving and very fast paced productions.

By the way I'm planning on picking up the align g3 gh gimbal and most likely using my Phobotic CP on it. Hows the Phobotic working for you?

Thanks Again,

Nice work Nick, what was your MR, gimbal setup for this shoot? I see some of your videos posted on Quadframe.us, still using their 3 axis gimbal? V1 or V2?

kloner

Aerial DP
unless your pulling focus theres almost no advantage to an hd downlink. gh4 would be considered on the bottom end of a good camera, sony a7 is hot if your not gonna mess with recording to internal sd and naturaly as always, the red's are towards the top end of whats possible with aerial cinema.... but it really gets interesting and expensive at that point.

there is also products like Atomos hd recorders if that was something you really needed as in a low end camera with high end color space / prores

hexhome

The reason for us is to input into a live broadcast either via satellite or fibre. Remote focus zoom are also a challenge. The only established method seen so far is via a Lanc.

kloner

Aerial DP
we did a live cbs broadcast with paralinx..... while we were there, tried lightbridge and that also worked. lightbridge has a lot more range

AerialVue

CAA Registered Company
Excellent video, pretty brave of you to fly over such an iconic site as that. A long way from filming in your local park not so long back!

andy

Hi Andy

It was pretty stressful but an opportunity that could not be missed…
A long way from filming in your local park not so long back!
how time flies! last tine we flew together was almost three years ago.. I was only looking at the Y6 meet we had yesterday.. How we and technology has moved on eh?

D

hexhome

we did a live cbs broadcast with paralinx..... while we were there, tried lightbridge and that also worked. lightbridge has a lot more range
A quick update: we have been offered a Teradek Bolt to test. It's spec is very similar to the Paralinx Tomahawk. Camera wise, we have discovered some Sony FS700s doing nothing so are considering using one. The advantage is that zoom control would be easy to sort out using http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/index.html The downside is the weight!
The Lightbridge was considered but it's latency was an issue for live multi camera use. As always, grateful for opinions and advice.

hexhome

A quick update: we have been offered a Teradek Bolt to test. It's spec is very similar to the Paralinx Tomahawk. Camera wise, we have discovered some Sony FS700s doing nothing so are considering using one. The advantage is that zoom control would be easy to sort out using http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/index.html The downside is the weight!
The Lightbridge was considered but it's latency was an issue for live multi camera use. As always, grateful for opinions and advice.

Bluerex

attachment.php

Ouch!

C

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 8.28.53 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 8.28.53 pm.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 353