Naza Trim Issue

ChrisG

Good to see you got it sorted out kloner,
My lipos are strapped underneath also... I wouldn't think it should make a difference but you never know.

I have not been able to try the switching from atti to man etc yet due to rain but am keen to test it out.
I found my bad DX7 pot by flicking the sticks during re-calibration looking for problems and seeing my elevator stick would sometimes be out of the green range.
Have also seen this problem with a friends older Tx when setting up Flybarless units on a heli, I only use my Dx7 for foamies Etc so never picked it up.
With some more playing I could get it to stay out of range easily after small stick movements.

This would obviously give the Naza a constant elev input (drift) when you think its centered... as I found out.

Mailman,
If you are chasing Graupner 10x5's (that can be hard to get) I got mine from electricwingman in the Uk

mailman35

chrisg,
not chasing anything really just looking for a reliable vendor for parts that im gonna need as i break them :p

(edit)
just got back from flying through 2 packs, no crashes this time out, but with the atti down at 80% the quad doesnt seem as much of a tail drift in the wind, 6-10mph winds.
now to just see if getting longer legs or pool noodles, then slinging the battery under would make more of a positive difference.

all and all not a bad flying quad for my first built kit.
:)

also getting around 9-10min per 2650mah 40-50c pack. with above 25% left in the pack.

Last edited by a moderator:

mailman35

actually i went through my settings again and noticed that i had -2 for the rudder subtrim that may of corrected the clockwise drift.

kloner

Aerial DP
I test flew mine earlier and it still drifts

one thing i noticed is i got the fpv tx on top of the naza, when i change the angle of the antenae in the rotor wash, it drifts different directions. Gonna take it off the naza here in a bit and try again

mailman35

yeah im getting ready to head out again just waiting for my 2 packs to finish topping off, they are between 97-98% so far :)
i upped my expo to 30% if i need it.

mailman35

also ive noticed that flying in manual mode is quite hard for me, even if i turn the expo down by 50% im still at 130-130-130-100 and atti is at 85, gonna try toning it down.

kloner

Aerial DP
I think i hit the bottom end where it gets drifty on mine, not bouncy at all, but today when i got it leaned as far forward as it'd tilt in atti, almost couldn't get it back to level. pulled full back a long time and it finally leveled out. kinda thought it was going in, but it finally came back to me. When i picked it up to turn off the cam, it wasn't on. Wanted to see what it was about onboard

Think it's at 110-110-130-90 and 80-80

sure flies smooth on the camera onboard though. none of that over revving of a motor at a time bounce

mailman35

i tuned mine down to 90-90-90-125 and then 85-85 gonna have to see how it flies this afternoon once i get home.
its just so hard to control in manual mode at this time for me.
and i have noticed that once it gets going in atti, like going forward it does seem to take its time to slow down when you pull the stick back, at this point since im still learning how to fly and all, im staying close to the ground, i have noticed that it does tend to keep going if you let the stick go back to neutral.

kloner

Aerial DP
ok cool, so it's just a behaviour of it. let me know how the low numbers go for ya. When i first got mine and it had 100 in every slot it was a ***** to fly in manual, but once i bumped into the 120's for roll/tilt it seems to be super steady, but it will fall off axis. I'm a scale helicopter guy, thousands of hours on the sticks so it's nothing new to me. But flying in atti is so comftorable it makes something difficult to do so easy to accomplish. Has me thinking wookong in all the scale helis... lol

mailman35

will do, i just remembered at first when after i got the quad built, and started testing it while waiting for bigger bats to show up, i had bumpped everything down to 50 just to hover, but now that im flying outside im wondering if maybe 110 and a -epxo would help in smoothing everything out? i mean i did have my first flip last night :)
thanks to the flying prop nut :p

FOX222

Those last 2 numbers of 80-80 (Attitude Gain) seem low to me. They control the stick input and will make it mushy feeling in attitude mode and it will take too long to stop or change heading. I have them on a slider so I can change them from 100 up to 200 for more aggressive flying but run it at 150 most of the time.

I also put the dual rate and the attitude/manual control on the same switch so when I switch to manual it changes the dual rate where I run 60% expo in manual mode and 25% expo in attitude mode due to my higher gain setting. This makes it feel similar in both modes.

When I am making a video with the GoPro where i am flying around I fly in manual mode and it fly's very smooth because the gyros are working in heading hold mode so the craft holds the attitude you have set which makes for a smooth flyby. I think my next step will be to put the Naza on a bigger frame with an articulated camera mount so the camera stays level. Have any of you guys tried using a gimbals mount with the Naza yet?

john

kloner

Aerial DP
if you turn down manual, your suppose to turn up atti from my understanding. i think your shooting in the neighborhood of 200 combigned +-20 or so

Fox, got any onboard footage to see what these numbers film like?

FOX222

with atti at 80-80 the craft is far more stable for me. also the random oscillations seem to be less as well.

The random oscillations with higher "Attitude Gain" is from stick input. Try using some expo to compensate and you will have much better control. I could not get the craft to stop well at lower numbers.
I have been flying helicopters since the late '70's so the Naza feels slow to me but if you are more comfortable with low settings then by all means go with it because everybody has their own preference of how it should feel.
One of the biggest things I have learned from flying rc helis is just because one guy flys with huge gains or 14 degrees of cyclic or reverse expo does not mean you will like it that way.

john

kloner

Aerial DP
this is a video onboard of 150-150-130-90 with atti at 80

this was 120-120-130-95 atti 80

honestly i could barely make out the high frequency osscilation with naked eye or ground cameras

now the battery and camera are underneath, it got even smoother from not fighting itself balancing

getting the props balanced just right made alot of oscilating go away as well. like one swipe of 600 grit down the edge of a blade would make it good from not good

I'd still like to see some onboard vids of 200 in manual

Last edited by a moderator:

FOX222

if you turn down manual, your suppose to turn up atti from my understanding. i think your shooting in the neighborhood of 200 combigned +-20 or so

I don't understand this comment. How are you turning one or the other up or down? What combined numbers are you referring to? Not trying to put you down, I just don't understand.

Fox, got any onboard footage to see what these numbers film like?

Yes I do. I will have to upload it after I finish my work.

FOX222

kloner,
Your videos don't look to bad at all. how do you have the camera mounted to the frame? Are you using any soft mounts?
Balancing the props is a must and the type of prop can make a big difference too. have you ever used the Graupner E-props?

kloner

Aerial DP
the first one the motors are over revving constantly, by the last one it almost floats off from not enough gain

I'm talking about the pitch/roll in basic and atti. i've fallen on 120 basic, 80 atti and it's as smooth as can get it. Have made 232 go pro vids trying to tune it so far since new years. The lower settings give the camera a fighting chance to smooth out. higher gains made it shake, forget jellow

View attachment 2501View attachment 2502

Thats underneath next to a leg with the lens centered

View attachment 2503View attachment 2504

the graupners just came in stock since i've had this thing. Got a set of motors to put on it too when the props and adapters get in. Set of bigger suppo brand motors with the grapner prop adapters and props

Attachments

• 026 (1280x960).jpg
    026 (1280x960).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 024 (1280x960).jpg
    024 (1280x960).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 296
  • 022 (800x600).jpg
    022 (800x600).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 021 (800x600).jpg
    021 (800x600).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 273

mailman35

so just got back form some flying took the quad up a bit higher then i have thus far, and when i am decending i got the occilation when im using 105-105-105-110 and 85-85 but other then that quite some fun flying just need some better visual aids for flight in lower light.

no way to mount a cam to the thing yet :p