Naza Trim Issue

mailman35

since ive figured out my expo. im going to try playing with my gains again right now they are 100-100-100-100 atti 80-80.

kloner

Aerial DP
I finally hooked up a lead to x1 and put em on a gyro sens switch. in gyro sens, it gives me 3 settings. i enabled it, set all the gains to 130-130-130-100 and 80-80 in the lowest setting, then incrimentaly made it go up in all ail,ele boxes. was just doing it with atti, but just added the manual to it too. it's weird you can do that but it does. Gonna get more tests for my time like this, especially cause can bring it all down in the field. After putting them graupners on, it wanted alot more gain

mailman35

ahh i have a control knob on my radio i could possibly assign to that. i have a single 3 position switch that i have assigned to the man-fs-atti setting. i have noticed something odd when i have the naza in inteli mode, and kick the switch to failsafe, the motors just spin at idle and never shut off.. :O

kloner

Aerial DP
I don't have fail safe programmed in my flight modes like that....... Makes since though that it wouldn't stop, it's suppose to hover in one spot till the batteries die then descend, i assume by lack of voltage

kloner

Aerial DP
when you look at your throttle curve in your tx, does the first part have a flat line, rest is a linear straight line? are you using your throttle trim in the middle? when you calibrate to the assistant, are you putting the throttle to the middle at exactly at 50% throttle and hitting finish? does that slider in the assistant sit in the green?

mailman35

i have a futaba t7c, so in acro mode i do not have a throttle curve thats only in heli mode. and ive had 0 luck finding anything in that mode that makes flying easy. just got back and did some additional flights and do hear that i got something vibrating when im flying, so next week i get new props and bearings.. gonna upload the videos in a bit.

http://youtu.be/QpmjQ80Ym5o

man they are taking forever to upload.

Last edited by a moderator:

mailman35

yes all the sticks are centered.
i have the manual sitting next to me. i will go through the recalibration again when i go to modify the gains and get the x1 channel setup.

wow balanced props do wonders, the stock ones wherent that far off. only took a few small peices of tape.

(edit)
it took centering the stick and going to +9 on the throttle expo to get it centered.
upped the basic gains to 120 all across and had to up the expo to 50 to make it flyable, but in manual it does hover in the living room at half throttle.

WillM

Thanks to kloner (and everyone else) for the great info in this thread. I'm new to this and just finished assembling my NAZA/FW450. I was/am planning a similar build to kloner, and already own the GoPro and other bits from other hobbies/projects. Anyway, thanks for detailing all of your trials with gains & batteries.

Is it possible that the drift issues some people are having is due to incorrectly calibrated accelerometers? Does anyone know what the NAZA actually does during its start-up procedure? I own a few different bits of technology which have built-in accelerometers, and all of them require some type of periodic calibration. Some require a manual procedure, some are automatic.

I wonder if the NAZA calibrates ('zeros') the accelerometers at startup. If so, it would be important to keep it level when powering up (connecting the battery).

It would be nice if you could see the accelerometer settings & calibrations in the NAZA Assistant software.

- Will

mailman35

kloner,
ended up assigning my knob to x2, and have it set to remote adjust of all the gains, i limited the end points on it, so now it goes from 110 to 219 for basic, and from 80-160 for atti.

i still need to see if moutning the naza to the zeal tape will help at all.

(edit)

got the gains sorted out, how ever post prop balancing ive noticed some jello, didnt see it last night but when i took it out this morning and sent it up when the motors where hovering high up it started to happen.
http://youtu.be/geUkbQywGrE?hd=1

WillM

kloner,

I noticed that you are running LEDs and 4S batteries. Are the LEDs powered by the 4S? Are you using a voltage regulator to step down the 4S to 12v? If so, any details on the regulator would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

kloner

Aerial DP
mailman, when your so far off it's not a jello thing, it's a vib thing. i think when you were flying before, you were so far off the zeal just masked the vib. As you get closer to the sweet spot on balancing, it starts to jello. Same with flying. hovering, going up and down slow are easy. its the flying where it goes bonkers, usually one motor and usually down to a certain rpm.

By watching your vid, the front right is vibrating too much, balance it again. the left rear outta whack will vibrate the front right too. it's nice having refrence in view to sort them out

Will that's awesome man. Jump in. I run the 12v light strips on 4s, there soldered in at the esc board with jst's. they do get a little warm on 4s after a 10 min flight, but have flown at least 300 flights, more than half 4s and still burn bright. They save my butt alot, especially in clouds where you look up and can't see colored arms so well, the lights glow and show the way

These were the cheap ones on ebay, came from china

WillM

Thanks kloner! I've already jumped in with both feet! I'm hoping the LEDs also help with orientation. I seem to be struggling with that a bit, especially when the multi is a football field away. Thanks again, good luck with your FPV flights, and don't forget to keep us all updated!

Cheers,

Will

mailman35

kloner,
ahh thanks, i ended up balancing all my spare props last night, and the ones on the quad where the first ones so i may of not done them enough.
and i did notice vibration in the front right arm this time.. so slowly but surely i will get this done :p

Bigcats30

I had the same as you guys and all it was.....was the naza wasn't flat on the base plate, mine leaned forward very sligthly and this caused my naza to keep flying forward even after lots of calibration checks.....sometimes its the simple things.

kloner

Aerial DP
i had remounted mine a few times and it wouldn't stop. mine was the throttle trim being down screwed up the center of the throttle stick. in calibrate i'd calibrate the sticks ant throttle at mid stick was off to the left 2-3mm from middle and was black. i went into "trim system" and shut the throttle trim off and boom, it flies level manual and atti flat as a pancake. i notice though after flying it pretty hard i'll come in and try making it hover and it takes a bit for it to settle down and stay in a spot again.

One poster in this thread mentioned bubbles under the tape, now that's a tough one to find