DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

DJIFlyer

Glad you got it working... it is a pretty cool feature! I have not tried re-setting POI within same flight. I'll have to try it this weekend. Would think it should work?

Ken

Ken; if you get it to work and there seems to be a trick involved please let me know, and I'll do the same if I get there first. Have a great weekend and thanks again for your help.

CLAUDE258

Ken,
Were you able to find the problem of woobles during the failsafe (RTH)?

This morning I tested my WKM on a CX4 (Quad) on 5.12. POI worked good once I understood how it works.... 1st flight took me a few tries to set POI target as I was switching between off and POI too slowly. Once I learned you need to switch it fast... it worked. But when my bird was switched to autonomous (failsafe), it wobbled a lot! Nearly wet my pants especially on the first flight when I lost control! Was on 5.08 with about a dozen flights and it was perfect. The gains and settings are the same from 5.08 to 5.12. Anyone got any idea where the wobble is coming from? Is it 5.12 or can it be my gains or settings? I did notice it wobbled a little once right before I went failsafe on the 2nd flight as well and overall... the bird seems to be less stable at 5.12 then 5.08.

1st Flight
I forgot to keep an eye on time so I think it went into failsafe by itself right after I switched to failsafe so I could not turn it off and lost stick control of the bird. Was ready to take over on Alti or Manual mode but the wobble went away and decided to let it land by itself. the wobble starts at about 5:55 (during Ascend of fail safe) and again at 6:12 (during 180 turn toward home in failsafe mode). Auto land was perfect.

2nd Flight
After about 30mins rest... decided to try it again. The POI worked great but once I put it in failsafe to come home and land... it wobbled again a few times during flight home. The wobble starts at 2:35 (during ascend of failsafe) and 2:55 (during straight flight toward home in failsafe). Auto land was perfect again.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

apeman88

I've been grounded for varies reasons since then... only been able to hover on the driveway or office yard so no change to test RTH. Hoping to to test it next couple of days and will advise.

Ken

Aviator

I've been grounded for varies reasons since then... only been able to hover on the driveway or office yard so no change to test RTH. Hoping to to test it next couple of days and will advise.

Ken
Try lowering your basic pitch and rolls gains by 20 to 30%?

apeman88

I was also thinking it might have to do with gains. Still learning gains as it's hard to dial in or I just can't get it right. Will try this next time I'm on the flying field. Thanks!!

Aviator

I was also thinking it might have to do with gains. Still learning gains as it's hard to dial in or I just can't get it right. Will try this next time I'm on the flying field. Thanks!!
I am used to using the arducopter open source stuff so gains and stuff I am well accustomed to *:) what you need to look for with the pitch and roll gains is how they react to a quick flick of the roll or pitch stick on the transmitter? If they are slow to return to level they are too low? If they as quick but bounce? They are too high.. I had to reduce mine by 30% after upgrading to 5.12a

apeman88

Thanks!! So to confirm...

1. On pitch and roll... quickly move aileron or elevator from off center to center and see how it returns to level. Move gain up until tries to counter balance (rock back from opposite direction) then move gain down a little (10%?) until it does not.

2. What about for Yaw (rudder) and Vertical (elevation)? For Yaw i'm going upto where it stops drifting and for Vertical... I stop when it's able to keep elevation within 3ft or so. Is there a better way to adjust gain?

Should gain be adjusted in perfect calm (no wind) conditions or does it matter?

Thanks!!

Ken

I am used to using the arducopter open source stuff so gains and stuff I am well accustomed to *:) what you need to look for with the pitch and roll gains is how they react to a quick flick of the roll or pitch stick on the transmitter? If they are slow to return to level they are too low? If they as quick but bounce? They are too high.. I had to reduce mine by 30% after upgrading to 5.12a

Aviator

Thanks!! So to confirm...

1. On pitch and roll... quickly move aileron or elevator from off center to center and see how it returns to level. Move gain up until tries to counter balance (rock back from opposite direction) then move gain down a little (10%?) until it does not.

2. What about for Yaw (rudder) and Vertical (elevation)? For Yaw i'm going upto where it stops drifting and for Vertical... I stop when it's able to keep elevation within 3ft or so. Is there a better way to adjust gain?

Should gain be adjusted in perfect calm (no wind) conditions or does it matter?

Thanks!!

Ken
1. Not really 10% but you could use increments of 10%? I had the remote adjust on X3 and used a knob on my transmitter until it returned to level quick enough but was still smooth. There is a little overshoot before level but only slight..
2. For yaw I used this method.. Move the yaw stick to either left or right? then let go, you will find it either drifts (increase gain) or continues a little and bounces back (decrease gain) If it stops more or less when you let go of the stick with no or very little bounce? then you have it about right.. As for the vertical gain put it in GPS mode and get it into a hover then I push the elevator stick forward so that it is moving away from me, if it gains height or drops adjust the vertical gain until it holds the same height when in flight..
As for the wind? I would try and do it on a calm day, or early morning when there is usually very little wind

apeman88

Cool! thanks Aviator!!! I will try that tomorrow.

Ken

1. Not really 10% but you could use increments of 10%? I had the remote adjust on X3 and used a knob on my transmitter until it returned to level quick enough but was still smooth. There is a little overshoot before level but only slight..
2. For yaw I used this method.. Move the yaw stick to either left or right? then let go, you will find it either drifts (increase gain) or continues a little and bounces back (decrease gain) If it stops more or less when you let go of the stick with no or very little bounce? then you have it about right.. As for the vertical gain put it in GPS mode and get it into a hover then I push the elevator stick forward so that it is moving away from me, if it gains height or drops adjust the vertical gain until it holds the same height when in flight..
As for the wind? I would try and do it on a calm day, or early morning when there is usually very little wind

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Droider. As to small craft I updated my CX4 with 5.12 and flight was normal POI worked a treat but when I did the failsafe it scared the living daylights out of me. Dont get me wrong it did what it was supposed to do and landed within a foot of take off. But.. I initiated the return to home with the nose facing away from me. It thought about it for a moment then executed a fantastic banking left turn and ended up pointing the nose back to home point and came back at a rapid pace but stopped near the take off point then desended. All good but unexpected. Previously it just reversed to the home point.

My return to home is set at GO-H

I thought they always pointed home if more than 10 m from hiome point.. But good to know you have no other issues. I am wondering if it is my really old first generation WKM's that is not happy with all the new features
Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Droider
I'm beginning to wonder ( what is it really wrong with the IMU or MC) I have a Two at this moment ,One was purchased during a introductory Time late August 2011 other one Early December 2011 , both are mounted on Hexa with current Firmware 5:12 Flying well with all the new Feature offer to WK I haven't noticed any unusual flying chararistics
Is this something I need to look into it? Pay close attention toward the Birds ! Because there are some members being flying with the S800 ask to send back the Unit for replacement , could you please enlighten me in regards to early version Wk. :

Shiu

Aye Up Shiu.

My first generation WKM just does not like 5.12 or a. GPS lock takes ages (if ever) and it just does not fly right with drifting in GPS hole eventually leading to huge toilet bowls.

As soon as I put it back to 5.02 bingo.. GPS lock with in a minute rock steady and ready for abuse!.. I aint to bothered about it not working on 5.12 but it would be nice to use the little 450 to play and get used to POI and the new features with out trying it on my ore expensive MR's

Dave

Vojec

Great straight easy settings instruction. Maybe off topic but still...
It is possible to set GPS home start position manual (moving button or...), because never wait for GPS to lock and start in ATTI mode and switch to GPS mode when no red light blinking. So if I want use RTH must be sure where the home GPS position is.

Thanks.

Aviator

It is possible to set GPS home start position manual (moving button or...), because never wait for GPS to lock and start in ATTI mode and switch to GPS mode when no red light blinking. So if I want use RTH must be sure where the home GPS position is.

Thanks.
If you want the rtl to work properly then yes you must wait for a GPS fix before takeoff. If GPS fix happens whilst flying, I believe that rtl should come to the point that it got the fix? which could be a problem? if it thinks it has landed and shuts off the motors? The best method to be safe is get a lock on the ground and set home point, then fly.

apeman88

Yes, you can re-set home position by switching between off and home (but it depends which of the 3 settings for IOC you used). My only question is... once home is set or re-set during flight... it registers the longitude and latitude of home... but what about altitude? Will current flight altitude be set as home? If so... what happens when it auto lands? Will it think the flight altitude when home is set during flight is ground? Who wants to try??? :)

Ken

Thanks.

Works fine setti.g home in flight I have done it many times what happens is when it starts its decent from making it back to the home position and starts descent and reaches that hieght it holds for a couple secs then starts decent again untill on the ground. No problems at all.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

apeman88

Wow.... I'm happily surprised! That is great!

Ken

Works fine setti.g home in flight I have done it many times what happens is when it starts its decent from making it back to the home position and starts descent and reaches that hieght it holds for a couple secs then starts decent again untill on the ground. No problems at all.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Tomstoy2

I got a question.
If you set home point for POI, what happens if you enter failsafe? Does it remember initial home point, or will it just go to POI and land? It would seem to me that POI would be a seperate setting, and initial home not affected, but I really have no clue about that.

apeman88

POI and Home are 2 separate location. With good GPS lock, home is automatically set and can be re-set in mid flight. POI is another location you set during flight. The 2 are distinctive of each other. See my video above... home was set at take off... I set POI, fly around POI and auto RTH and landed at home (take off point)

Ken

I got a question.
If you set home point for POI, what happens if you enter failsafe? Does it remember initial home point, or will it just go to POI and land? It would seem to me that POI would be a seperate setting, and initial home not affected, but I really have no clue about that.