Gaui Gaui ESC Vs Programming Cards

Hi friends - Well, I have programmed my Gaui 500X 18 amp GE-183 ESC's using the transmitter but have very little faith everything took as needed. I'd prefer to use a nice programming card. Does anyone know for sure which programming card will work with the stock Gaui 18 amp ESC's and where they can be purchased? I really appreciate your help on this one...

ChrisViperM

Hello

There is really nothing what needs to be programmed with the GE-183 ESC's. By using the transmitter (throttle stick up - power on - beep beep - throttle stick down - finished...you only tell the ESC where it has to expect no throttle and full throttle...that's all....and this procedure you normally also do also with programming cards....so you would buy a programming card for nothing

Chris

Hi Chris and thanks for the advice. The manual that came with the Gaui 500X shows on page 17 the ESC Programming sequence for the GE-183 which includes like 8 different options. Everything "seems" to be working OK but it seems odd they would tell you how to program it... Time will tell right... Thank you again.

ChrisViperM

Since this ESC's are specifically for the 500X, the factory setting is ferfect ok out of the box....The programming possibilities in the manual is shown for guys who want to change some settings or tweak around a little bit....but I strongly advise you not to fiddle around with this settings unless you know exactly what you do.
I had first the GU-INS and later the WooKong M and didn't touch anything on the ESC's...and they are sill doing fine

Chris

OK - I typically lean toward experience and it seems you have had success leaving them stock. I monkey'd with them so much I have no clue if I made a difference or not. It seems to fly well and in the Las Vegas summer heat (100+ degrees) the motors and ESC's all stayed between 95 & 115 degrees after a 10 minute hoover. I also felt it was unusual to cram a heat producing electrical ESC into a tube with NO ventilation so I decided to mount the ESC's on the outside of each boom where they may get some prop downwash cooling.. I may also inspect them easier this way as well.. Considering the stability so far, I would say all is good. Of course many more low level "test" hovers are required before I feel confident to slap the ole Go-Pro camera on board. Again, thanks for the advice sir..

Tomstoy2

There is only a couple of things I would recommend changing.

Battery type, change to nicd. This gives you a lower voltage cutoff point and these things don't auto-rotate, so it's a safety thing.

Motor timing, research your pole count and set timing to match. Medium works well with just about everything, but this depends on the motors.

Cutoff should always be soft.

Yes - I fully agree and that was the main reason why I attempted to make the changes to the ESC's... Problem is I am not sure if what I did, and how I did it, actually changed the ESC. This is why I'd still love (and want) a programming card for piece of mind.. On my Heli's the ESC will emit a series of beeps for each item to confirm assignment. On these Scorpion motors when I power up only one motor (I think) emits any noise and it is a just three shorts and one long. I tried to program: Brake Off / Ni Cad battery / Soft Cut Off / Low Cutoff Threshhold / Normal Start Up and Low Timing. If I can not find a program card that will work on these Gaui ESC's, I am almost tempted on buying four Turnigy Plush 30 amp ESC's and matching programming card and be confident of what I have... Geez, their only $12.19 each....

Badfrog

Yes - I fully agree and that was the main reason why I attempted to make the changes to the ESC's... Problem is I am not sure if what I did, and how I did it, actually changed the ESC. This is why I'd still love (and want) a programming card for piece of mind.. On my Heli's the ESC will emit a series of beeps for each item to confirm assignment. On these Scorpion motors when I power up only one motor (I think) emits any noise and it is a just three shorts and one long. I tried to program: Brake Off / Ni Cad battery / Soft Cut Off / Low Cutoff Threshhold / Normal Start Up and Low Timing. If I can not find a program card that will work on these Gaui ESC's, I am almost tempted on buying four Turnigy Plush 30 amp ESC's and matching programming card and be confident of what I have... Geez, their only $12.19 each....

I have the same GUAI setup - I actually took the GUAI/Scorpion motors and 183 escs off the GUAI frame and put them on a DJI550 Hex (bought 2 new motors/esc's). I am curious to know if you ever found a programming card for the 183's? They seem to be fine and the DJI is flying great... but as they say, "inquiring minds want to know..."

Hello Badfrog.. I ended up putting the stock DJI ESC's and 2212 motors on my Flamewheel 450 and am using it for my camera platform. She flies so smooth and stable. I have her set up for the FAILSAFE and RTH modes however I am TOO CHICKEN to flip the switch and test it. One day. As far as the turnigy items, I purchased a Turnigy programming card from Hobby King and used it to program the Turnigy ESC's which are now on my Guai 500. She seems to fly pretty well (so far). I also am using one of Hobby Kings flight controllers - this set up is not as smooth as the DJI but then again is 1/4 the cost.

AirPix

There is only a couple of things I would recommend changing.

Battery type, change to nicd. This gives you a lower voltage cutoff point and these things don't auto-rotate, so it's a safety thing.

Motor timing, research your pole count and set timing to match. Medium works well with just about everything, but this depends on the motors.

Cutoff should always be soft.

I'm setting up a 500x with Gaui 183 ESCs and Gaui 960 kV motors (stock setup) but with a Naza M-Lite w/ GPS (and the VU "BEC") and I've decided that it would work best with the Naza Voltage Monitoring function if I went with a lower battery voltage (NiCd) and kepth the other settings stock (though I'm not sure what the "Cutoff Threshhold" is. On a fixed wing you can always restart an LVC'd motor and carry on...

--Bill