How tough are 8" DJI props

BerndM

OK...I've read a LOT of really scary posts about DJI props, both 8 & 10" sizes coming apart in mid air causing quite a few terrible crashes.
Based on this eye opening info, I won't use any of the "old" style DJI props with the smaller hubs.
I did however buy some of the "new & improved" 8" DJI props with the larger hubs, and had an interesting event today.
I managed to stupidly run into my concrete block wall while luckily only 18" off the ground and at no more than a walking speed. :upset:
So my "crash" was more of a lumpy landing than anything else. :shame:
One of the props suffered a small cut on the leading edge and some scuffing on the opposite blade of the same prop.
It did NOT break!!!!
So, now that I knew I had a "damaged" and possibly compromised prop, I thought I'd do a little testing.
I firmly secured the quad to the ground so it could not lift at all and proceeded to run the motors back and forth from just about an idle to FULL power at least 20 times and NONE of the props failed, not even the damaged one.
I'm thinking this was a pretty good hard test and the "new & improved" larger hubbed DJI's held up admirably.
After this testing, I DID retire the damaged prop. Why tempt fate, right? :livid:

Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

I have been super impressed with the DJI 8" props. I have read all the disgruntled post about the props breaking but it seems to me that the 10" props are usually the ones that people complain about. Regardless, I have abused the crap out of my 550 with the 8". Many flights, many situations that I thought should have broke the props but they hung tough. Last week I did replace the two most abused props and of course it made a big difference in how it flew. I use this 550 to huck around the sky and practice. I have another MR running Grap 11x5 and I try not to go too crazy with it and risk any crashing but I was quite surprised the other day when I had a bit of a rough landing and broke a prop. Very confident that the DJI 8" have put thru way worse, in my case, and I have never broke one. Im not saying the the DJI props are even in the same ballpark as the graps when it comes to quality, just saying that they work real well for me on my MR that gets tossed around the sky and on occassion into a tree :)