DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

Tomstoy2

Thanks, Apeman! That's the way I assumed it was,,, but with the Chinese way of thinking, figured I better ask.

Seriously thinking of upgrading my Hexa now, as I really could use as much help as possible with my gimbal control.
Still, kind of concerned with this wobble issue in rth, as it seems to be universal no matter the configuration.
Ultimately, would like to just go with a seperate gimbal stabilizer, but seems to me to pretty much be a waist of money coupled to my cheap as hell mc6500pro gimbal. Going to a good gimbal would be desireable, but room is limited with the X/A Hexa.

apeman88

There's been a few comments on my gains maybe be too high as 5.12a seem to require lower gains (approx 30% less). I have not confirm this yet... won;t have time til tomorrow to confirm out on the field. It does make sense... lower the gains so the auto pilot won't over react. Will confirm and advise.

Ken

Thanks, Apeman! That's the way I assumed it was,,, but with the Chinese way of thinking, figured I better ask.

Seriously thinking of upgrading my Hexa now, as I really could use as much help as possible with my gimbal control.
Still, kind of concerned with this wobble issue in rth, as it seems to be universal no matter the configuration.
Ultimately, would like to just go with a seperate gimbal stabilizer, but seems to me to pretty much be a waist of money coupled to my cheap as hell mc6500pro gimbal. Going to a good gimbal would be desireable, but room is limited with the X/A Hexa.

Quick question for you guys doesnt this firmware have the ability to fly back home with a motor failure ?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Aye Up Shiu.

My first generation WKM just does not like 5.12 or a. GPS lock takes ages (if ever) and it just does not fly right with drifting in GPS hole eventually leading to huge toilet bowls.

As soon as I put it back to 5.02 bingo.. GPS lock with in a minute rock steady and ready for abuse!.. I aint to bothered about it not working on 5.12 but it would be nice to use the little 450 to play and get used to POI and the new features with out trying it on my ore expensive MR's

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing, i will keep eye on it….will post if it behave unwantedly :)

Shiu

Tahoe Ed

Quick question for you guys doesnt this firmware have the ability to fly back home with a motor failure ?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Flying with 5.12a on my S800. Motor 1 quit in flight I did not realize it until I got the copter closer to me. I flew as normal, no drooping to the right front no larch to the right, nothing. It was absolutely stable. I brought it back for a safe landing. No issues for me. Others have not been so fortunate. However, I also don't know how they had their copters set up.

Dewster

Man... I would have had a heart attack if I saw my craft doing that on failsafe. After my Hexa crashed from a prop breaking, I'm nervous as $%&^ when I see my craft behaving badly. It's bad that it's happening on a Quad. I haven't upgraded to 5.12 yet. I'm on 5.10 I think. I have it on a DJI F450 quad with 30amp ESC and Avroto 2814/11s motors. No apparent issues. I did have one toilet bowl moment during a Return to Home. All other tests on RTH worked as adverstised. Anyway...

After my prop broke (No fault of the flight controller), I've been skittish about flying my craft around houses, cars etc. Just open fields or about three feet off of the gound in the neighborhood. It's good that you were testing it in an open area.

DJIFlyer

I just completed my build of a Hexa with NAZA/GPS and I notice that it seems very touchy in a slight wind or breeze. I wonder if this is due to gain settings. It flies very nicely with no breeze but seems too touchy when there is a little wind and cannot seem to find a comfortable hover. Do you think that this may be related to gains being too high or too low? Can anyone weigh in on this? I know that this is a 5.12 discussion but I have the same issue with my WKM after the update and it seems to apply to both so I would appreciate any advice relating to the elusive gain settings. Thanks.

apeman88

Finally was able to go out to the field. I was able to reset POI multiple times without any problem.

Ken

Ken; if you get it to work and there seems to be a trick involved please let me know, and I'll do the same if I get there first. Have a great weekend and thanks again for your help.

apeman88

Aviator.... thanks for the advise on lowering gains... that did it.... no more (or much less) wobble. I think I need to dial it down even more. I dropped from 160 to 130 and think maybe another 10%. Below is video of the latest test... you can still see a litle bit of wobble on the flight back to home.

Try lowering your basic pitch and rolls gains by 20 to 30%?

This first video, it bounced a little on landing... turned gain down even more and 2nd video is much better.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

apeman88

I tested this yesterday... I'm on 5.12a. I am able to rearm the bird and fly without disconnecting the battery by switching to Atti mode and back to GPS mode. Tested this a few times.

Ken

I flew my F550 today with 5.12 with zero wind & it flew really nice the only thing that happened is when i tested the RTH it did come back sweet as, but i could not get it out of fail safe when it landed either by toggling the mix switch or GPS-Atti-Manual i had to unplug the batery. I have not had this problem before.

Just today I finally decided to take the plunge and try to install the 5.14 FW update to my WKM. I am so freaked out right now because this is the first time that an update has failed to work. During the install my WKM (on the DJI S800) got to the point where it told me to cycle the power to the WKM (which I did as I have always done) and then I started to get an odd pattern of beeps from my motors, a failed install and have not been able to get the unit to do anything since. I tried to re-power then re-install the FW but it just continues to make this odd pattern of beeps with slightly twitching props with each beep. The FW install doesn't seem to do anything now... just an odd, bouncing green progress bar that ultimately fails on the install screen. I JUST got this thing to finally work for me after all of these months of issues and now I am stuck again and not sure what to do. Any ideas? I can't find any info on failed WKM FW installations anywhere thus far.

apeman88

First... REMOVE YOUR PROPS WHEN YOU PROGRAM or service your multi. I had one spin up on me during programming (not WKM) and got 16 stitches.

There has been reports that once in a while... programming may not take. You have to reprogram it again. For me... it beeped and flashed in weird pattern but a reboot cured it. For a few... needed reprogramming. If memory serves, there was one or 2 that programming killed the WKM and had to be sent back for service.

Good luck!

Ken

Just today I finally decided to take the plunge and try to install the 5.14 FW update to my WKM. I am so freaked out right now because this is the first time that an update has failed to work. During the install my WKM (on the DJI S800) got to the point where it told me to cycle the power to the WKM (which I did as I have always done) and then I started to get an odd pattern of beeps from my motors, a failed install and have not been able to get the unit to do anything since. I tried to re-power then re-install the FW but it just continues to make this odd pattern of beeps with slightly twitching props with each beep. The FW install doesn't seem to do anything now... just an odd, bouncing green progress bar that ultimately fails on the install screen. I JUST got this thing to finally work for me after all of these months of issues and now I am stuck again and not sure what to do. Any ideas? I can't find any info on failed WKM FW installations anywhere thus far.

nisouck

Yes, "Remove your props when you program".

But the easy way to upgrade securely WITHOUT removing the props is to supply 4.8v to the receiver.
That sufficient, the power will go to the DJI MC also.
:nevreness:

Tomstoy2

What’s changed?
1.Attitude is controllable when one power output of Hexa-motor is failed in Atti. Mode and GPS Atti. Mode, including Hexa-rotor IY and Hexa-rotor Y.
2.When one power output of Hexa-motor is failed in Atti. Mode and GPS Atti. Mode, Hexa-rotor Iand Hexa-rotor V will spin to keep the aircraft stable.
What’s new?
1.S-bus2 receiver is supported for D-Bus port.
2.Height limit is added in the Tool.

Nacho42

I travelled the brand new firmware around my backyard for a few mins this excellent night and also all appears okay. Cinestar 8 with AXI and Maytech 35A Opto Escs. Futaba SBUS recipient. .