DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

apeman88

So RTH and land activated by failsafe (either activated by a switch or powering off the TX) is a different program/instructions than low voltage/land immediately?

Ken

that is what I was wondering. But I cant risk a go home from higher altitude until I know. So I guess I will try the wkm on a light cheap airframe, before i risk my expensive octo. The naza does an autoland much slower, and its rth is sweet.

yakjock

what about the return to home!?

I tested it yesterday evening & yes it's working ok I can stop the RTH before it descends & regain control but once it starts it's final decent you have to disconnect the battery to restart the motors. All good now.

apeman88

Yakjock... so once it start descending and before it lands... you can not take over by switching to Alti or Manual mode?

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Mike. It my be best if you explain the mix thing in more depth for the others. There is a thread on here somewhere explaining it.

Dave

Dreamweaver

Yeah that's the video i watched...i use different switches so i had to adapt it a little.

You do tie up a virtual channel but not a physical one...the DX18 is looking like necessity with a 2-3 axis gimbal.

~Mike

Droider. As to small craft I updated my CX4 with 5.12 and flight was normal POI worked a treat but when I did the failsafe it scared the living daylights out of me. Dont get me wrong it did what it was supposed to do and landed within a foot of take off. But.. I initiated the return to home with the nose facing away from me. It thought about it for a moment then executed a fantastic banking left turn and ended up pointing the nose back to home point and came back at a rapid pace but stopped near the take off point then desended. All good but unexpected. Previously it just reversed to the home point.

My return to home is set at GO-H

Blacksails

Droider. As to small craft I updated my CX4 with 5.12 and flight was normal POI worked a treat but when I did the failsafe it scared the living daylights out of me. Dont get me wrong it did what it was supposed to do and landed within a foot of take off. But.. I initiated the return to home with the nose facing away from me. It thought about it for a moment then executed a fantastic banking left turn and ended up pointing the nose back to home point and came back at a rapid pace but stopped near the take off point then desended. All good but unexpected. Previously it just reversed to the home point.

My return to home is set at GO-H

I'm currently on 5.02 and have found that if i'm near to the home point, the craft will simply back up to home in failsafe. If I fly further away and activate failsafe it will then turn to point the nose home before returning.

Anyone having problems with older WKM's with this firmware.. Like pre october 2011 units?

Hi Droider
I'm beginning to wonder ( what is it really wrong with the IMU or MC) I have a Two at this moment ,One was purchased during a introductory Time late August 2011 other one Early December 2011 , both are mounted on Hexa with current Firmware 5:12 Flying well with all the new Feature offer to WK I haven't noticed any unusual flying chararistics
Is this something I need to look into it? Pay close attention toward the Birds ! Because there are some members being flying with the S800 ask to send back the Unit for replacement , could you please enlighten me in regards to early version Wk. :

Shiu

DJIFlyer

This morning I tested my WKM on a CX4 (Quad) on 5.12. POI worked good once I understood how it works.... 1st flight took me a few tries to set POI target as I was switching between off and POI too slowly. Once I learned you need to switch it fast... it worked. But when my bird was switched to autonomous (failsafe), it wobbled a lot! Nearly wet my pants especially on the first flight when I lost control! Was on 5.08 with about a dozen flights and it was perfect. The gains and settings are the same from 5.08 to 5.12. Anyone got any idea where the wobble is coming from? Is it 5.12 or can it be my gains or settings? I did notice it wobbled a little once right before I went failsafe on the 2nd flight as well and overall... the bird seems to be less stable at 5.12 then 5.08.

1st Flight
I forgot to keep an eye on time so I think it went into failsafe by itself right after I switched to failsafe so I could not turn it off and lost stick control of the bird. Was ready to take over on Alti or Manual mode but the wobble went away and decided to let it land by itself. the wobble starts at about 5:55 (during Ascend of fail safe) and again at 6:12 (during 180 turn toward home in failsafe mode). Auto land was perfect.

2nd Flight
After about 30mins rest... decided to try it again. The POI worked great but once I put it in failsafe to come home and land... it wobbled again a few times during flight home. The wobble starts at 2:35 (during ascend of failsafe) and 2:55 (during straight flight toward home in failsafe). Auto land was perfect again.

Ken

POINT OF INTEREST PROBLEMS: I have 5.10 in the WKM and I like the new features (like RTH switch) but for some reason I cannot get this new POI to function. I am familiar with Course lock and have setup a three-way switch with Off-Course Lock - POI and I can see in Assistant that all three positions are in their respective Blue Zones when switching. My understanding is that flipping this switch between POI and Course-lock several times will then create a new home point (or in this case POI lock) provided that I have the maximum amount of sats. for a solid GPS lock, which i do have. Then if I flip the switch to the POI setting I can back off of the POI for the desired distance and then have the multi rotate around this POI simply by using the aileron stick. It seems straight forward enough but it will not work for some reason and I wonder if I am missing something. When I do the quick switching between Course-lock and POI I get the confirmation of a fast blinking Led a few times but then if I pull back from the new POI and use aileron to attempt to rotate the multi just moves in the direction that the aileron is sending it to and there is no rotation around the POI. Can anyone think of something that may cause this? I am outside of the 10 meter boundary so I don't think that this is the cause although there may be some other distance requirements that I am not understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

apeman88

If your getting the green flashing light after setting POI, the unit confirmed the POI is good. You need to back out of that POI at least 5M and max of 500M. This was my mistake the first time (see the video and you'll see I backed up a little more). With your bird more than 5M away from POI... if you switch on POI, the bird will auto rotate heading toward POI to confirm it's now in POI mode. You can move all sticks around and the POI will remain the heading. i.e.... move aileron and it will spin around the POI... move rudder and it was spin the bird and if you leave it say facing 180 degree butt face POI... then give it aileron ... bird will fly around POI with butt facing POI.

Give it another try with further distance. Good Luck.

Ken

DJIFlyer

Hey Apeman88: I quickly took your advice and got it to work. Many thanks! My problem was the distances, just as you suggested. This is pretty cool and I have a great many uses for such a thing. Thanks for the other tip too. One this that I could not seem to get it to do was to start over again and create a new POI. Perhaps I am not doing the correct thing to overwrite (or undue) the first one. I assume that if I go to OFF on my POI- Home Course switch I can then move to a new location and then do the 'quick switching' between the POI and Home Course which I would assume records a new GPS point but I cannot get it to give me the fast green LED confirmation. Have you tried this?

apeman88

Glad you got it working... it is a pretty cool feature! I have not tried re-setting POI within same flight. I'll have to try it this weekend. Would think it should work?

Ken