DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Uploaded for me first time. I had not noticed any gimbal twitch on mine until I really looked and could see some very very small movements. Any hoe upgraded flown and seems the same but the very very sight twitch has gone.

I am sure they needed to sort the Octo problems out asap but wjile they were at ti I would have thoyght they could have done something about the pitch control speed.

Ill fly them both tomorrow and give them a good testing

Dave

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
I just updated & flew with the last version Assistant 1.30a. Very windy out. Gusts to 9 MPH with 4mph average winds.
It seems to fly much as before. Mine was always very "nervous" in winds. Seems more nervous and twitchy with the winds today since upgrade.
GPS holds tight. 1/2 meter movement max. in high wind gust.
I run gains at Pitch 115; Roll 115; Yaw 100; Vertical 115.
Sometimes it gets so hyper in a wind gust that you wonder if it will crash, but it always pulls back to a solid hover.
Low wind conditions are rock solid.
So far everything is a blast & never a crash.
Anyone have similar "hyperness" with winds?
Any solutions to make it react more passive to wind gusts?

That the report.

Were you flying an Octo? What config?

I just updated & flew with the last version Assistant 1.30a. Very windy out. Gusts to 9 MPH with 4mph average winds.
It seems to fly much as before. Mine was always very "nervous" in winds. Seems more nervous and twitchy with the winds today since upgrade.
GPS holds tight. 1/2 meter movement max. in high wind gust.
I run gains at Pitch 115; Roll 115; Yaw 100; Vertical 115.
Sometimes it gets so hyper in a wind gust that you wonder if it will crash, but it always pulls back to a solid hover.
Low wind conditions are rock solid.
So far everything is a blast & never a crash.
Anyone have similar "hyperness" with winds?
Any solutions to make it react more passive to wind gusts?

That the report.

yakjock

I flew my F550 today with 5.12 with zero wind & it flew really nice the only thing that happened is when i tested the RTH it did come back sweet as, but i could not get it out of fail safe when it landed either by toggling the mix switch or GPS-Atti-Manual i had to unplug the batery. I have not had this problem before.

yakjock

I have set up a mix on my dx8 so just flip the switch I have not used the aux 3 option in the new software & it was only flown about 40-50 mtrs away to test the RTH with the new software.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I seem to remember that when it lands and shuts down motors you have to then unplug the battery. Try it by taking over while flying home.

Dave

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
I have any update and will glady take comments.
I fly Hexa- See specs below. I was flying 5.10 with no issues.
I upgraded to 5.12a yesterday and had a few near crashes.
Is 5.12a for octo users only? perhaps I need to use 5.12?
Here's the problem:
When flying in 5.10 my hexa would "wobble" or "react with roll shake" when in hover and hit by a strong breeze. When flying in forward flight it would never react to a breeze.
Now with 5.12a it reacts "violently" with wobble when both in forward flight & hover.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
I am definately going to try a different assisant version.
I will use 5.12 if 5.12a was for only octo users...can anyone verify this?
Otherwise I will go back to 5.10.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have said in pervious posts and threads I don't think one size will fit all. This has been conveyed to DJI Best they have firm wares for the different configs rather than what would appears to be a firmware that is trying to cope with to many variables.

I have test flown only at home 5.12a on my Y6 configs and in wind and they seem just fine. I will try again tomorrow to see if they are just as good.

Dave

yakjock

Flew the F550 again today 10-12 mph gusting 15-17 according to my skywatch & it flew really well a little bouncy in some of the bigger gusts but all in all an improvement over 5.02 for me.

yakjock

To be honest I was having so much fun just flying I forgot to check it but I should get a chance Tuesday evening so I will check it then.

Tahoe Ed

Test flown 5.12a on my S800, it works, even if you loose a motor. Very solid in 10mph winds with gusts to 14. Just an FYI, so was the F550. With less weight, it just bounced a little.

How would one go about to disable a esc or a motor while in flight for testing? Or is the done externally with some other remote device?

Thanks again..

KS

Aviator

How would one go about to disable a esc or a motor while in flight for testing? Or is the done externally with some other remote device?

Thanks again..

KS
You could make an electronic switch to cut off the signal to the ESC? but I highly recommend not doing it! much easier to take off a prop before taking off and make sure the machine cant tip over while testing, no point causing risk or damage if not needed? I have lost a prop during flight "Octo" due to a loose fit.. If I hadn`t have seen it, I dont think I would have noticed?

I have finally plucked up courage to fly with 5.12a on my octo after an earlier bad experience. All seems to be OK except I have set it to auto land on low voltage. It lands too fast (see video) It is not a low voltage issue because the battery which is 4S still has 14.8v no load after autoland. If it landed at this speed from a higher altitude I probably would get a lot of damage. I also have an quad with a naza GPS and it autolands nice and slow.
I am extremely hesitant to try a RTH until I have this issue sorted
I cannot find any way to alter the descend rate in the software: ANy ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Best thing is not to get to low voltage condition.. Ivguess its there to get to down in one piece as best it can with the voltage left in the pack. ALL my WKM decent really fast on emergency battery landing.. I just never let it get there.

Dave