Ray Bahas

Guys and Pals, I suggest to NOT use the word DRONE for our aerial interest and activity as it is negatively perceived by the general public (and NSA).
We're here for the love of our beautiful Earth and Human observation, Art filming or simple curiosity about our environment. Aren't we ?
Kindly use the appropriate terms of Multirotors or Aerial Cameras in order to put things in the right perspective for the spying robots out there...
Just a suggestion for the sake of our peace of mind.

Av8Chuck

Hi Ray, I agree that nomenclature is important. Its interesting but I've noticed that people who are into RC's tend to view regulating AP as a commercial vs hobbyist debate and don't seem to be as sensitive to the term "drone." Photographers who view MR's simply as a tool that enable them to get the perspective of what they want to shoot don't generally refer to MR's as drones. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, as a photographer I tend to regard MR's flown for sport/aerobatics as "drones" and MR's that are flown for photography as Aerial Platforms, Infinite Jib, or insert your favorite term
here..

Either way, they are Multirotors and if we keep referring to them as drones or UAV's we run a real risk of loosing our right to fly.

"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it." George Washington.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Bahas

Hi Ray, I agree that nomenclature is important. Its interesting but I've noticed that people who are into RC's tend to view regulating AP as a commercial vs hobbyist debate and don't seem to be as sensitive to the term "drone." Photographers who view MR's simply as a tool that enable them to get the perspective of what they want to shoot don't generally refer to MR's as drones. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, as a photographer I tend to regard MR's flown for sport/aerobatics as "drones" and MR's that are flown for photography as Aerial Platforms, Infinite Jib, or insert your favorite term
here..

Either way, they are Multirotors and if we keep referring to them as drones or UAV's we run a real risk of loosing our right to fly.

"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it." George Washington.

Hi Chuck, I totally agree with you.

dazzab

Interesting conversation about nomenclature. I've always wondered where the term UAV came from. There's nothing 'unmanned' about drones or UAVs. They are not autonomous and they do have a pilot. The pilot is just located outside the vehicle. As far as aerial photography goes the platform is typically flown only LOS as well. Personally, when I have thousands of dollars of photo gear in the air, the less control the platform has and the more control I have, the better.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
In Europe we're trying to use the term RPAS (Remotely Pilot Aircraft System). So our craft becomes an RPA (remotely piloted aircraft) and we are RP (remote pilots). I've got an RPQ-S qualification (remote pilot qualification-small). See, it all fits together.

In the UK we don't have the same stigma with Drone. I still say drone because it sounds cool.

Anyway, video topic hijacked enough. Sorry.

Ray Bahas

In Europe we're trying to use the term RPAS (Remotely Pilot Aircraft System). So our craft becomes an RPA (remotely piloted aircraft) and we are RP (remote pilots). I've got an RPQ-S qualification (remote pilot qualification-small). See, it all fits together.

In the UK we don't have the same stigma with Drone. I still say drone because it sounds cool.

Anyway, video topic hijacked enough. Sorry.

On the contrary Ben, this is interesting to know because here also we're trying to establish some sort of "system code" to name things properly but moreover to establish some "standard" behavior and certification in order to avoid incidents or accidents as more and more unqualified people have access to these cheap RPA as you call them. What is the system / organisation / institution ? that deliver "certification" in the UK ?
In Canada, they just set up a system directly related to the civil aviation core and Transport Canada is the only Gov. organisation to deliver such remote pilot certification, following a serious course and training with licensed private institutions. Like for a driving school I'd say.

Thanks to all for participating to this conversation.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
ResourceUAS provided my training. Mostly ex-military so they know their stuff.

Maybe time to start another thread? There's one called RPQ-S or BNUC-S? Has links and discussions.

So returning to the thread subject... ;)
Here's a video I just finished of some iconic places back home in Costa Rica. I had some yaw issues while down there due to an ESC or motor going out of whack, and a little of it is still evident in a few scenes.

Ray Bahas

Here's a video I just finished of some iconic places back home in Costa Rica. I had some yaw issues while down there due to an ESC or motor going out of whack, and a little of it is still evident in a few scenes.

WOW, super nice shots and places :)
Camera ? Gimbal ? MR ?

WOW, super nice shots and places :)
Camera ? Gimbal ? MR ?
Thanks Ray! Sorry I forgot to post on the info on the post (I put it on all my YouTube description stuff).
I use an S800 with Zenmuse carrying a Sony NEX-5R. It's setup for dual or single operator, though for all of that shoot it was setup as single operator (just me). I'll post shortly some other projects I did there.

SjaakZwart

Very, very nice..... My compliments!

Een helicopter? Da's een bemande drone!

jhardway

This is a collection of clips I was able to get the other day, Over all getting the footage took less then an hour. What I was finding most challenging as I do when running the rig as a one man setup was running the copter and keeping the camera angle in a decent set, at the same time. best all

This is a collection of clips I was able to get the other day, Over all getting the footage took less then an hour. What I was finding most challenging as I do when running the rig as a one man setup was running the copter and keeping the camera angle in a decent set, at the same time. best all
Nice job! And you are right, solo operation is quite tricky. The video I just posted above was done solo operator as well, so I know what you mean.

That is a friends production we had the occasion to participate, it was inspiring but most of all it was BIG FUN doing it :nevreness:

kloner

Aerial DP

Attachments

• mob credits.jpg
    mob credits.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 245