plingboot

bloody hell that clip is good… it even gave me vertigo, must be one hell of a buzz when you're actually flying the thing.

is a fatshark 5.8ghz set (not dominator), with a gopro enough to get started with - or does more cash need to be thrown in the pit?

Last edited by a moderator:

juz

FPV pilot
Is it best to have the camera pointing straight forward and level,or is it better to angle the camera down slightly?

As Bowley said straight ahead is probably best. That is how I feel most comfortable. My gopro however, is pointed ever so slightly down.

juz

FPV pilot
bloody hell that clip is good… it even gave me vertigo, must be one hell of a buzz when you're actually flying the thing.

is a fatshark 5.8ghz set (not dominator), with a gopro enough to get started with - or does more cash need to be thrown in the pit?

Yeah, its great fun. Had a great flight today which ended in a crash again. Failsafe works okay.

Fatshark 5.8 and gopro? I guess so. Cant really comment on stuff I never used. 1.3ghz 300mW, 480 FPV cam and fatshark base goggles work well for me.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hope you found it ok.. what happened?

Maybe you could get a job as a flying sheepdog! Great shots again..

Dave

Av8Chuck

As usual, Jeff, simply amazing. Personally I think this is your best aerial video, everything is so smooth and well composed.

It almost makes me want to move to VA...

Borneoben

Jeff Awesome work as usual

I hope you are working with the West Virginia Tourism Board or equivalent as you sure do a great job of promoting the area.

What is the ecomonmy doing there atthe moment?
I dont suppose you need someone to carry your Lipo's for you do you?
I come fairly cheap and my wife daughter are pretty quite... most of the time anyway.

lol

Keep um coming we all love your work.

Cheers

Ben

Bowley

Beautiful video Jeff, as usual.
Heres a wee compilation I stitched together of my filming along my local coastline. Did it with my Gaui 330 and a fixed gopro so its a bit wobbly.
Feel a little foolish putting it up as its real newbie amatuer league but what the hell.

Usually I set the timer for 8 minutes which is more than enough for 3 takes plus additional experiments, however if I go right down to 14v I am somewhere between 9-10 minutes depending on the pack. If I have to hover and wait for something to happen I'll put 2 packs in parallel, but my neck gets stiff for these shots plus the canon dSlrs will stop recording after 12 minutes, well except for the new 1Dx.

Cheers,
Jeff

Av8Chuck

The 1Dx is built like a tank and at $7K I wouldn't think its a good candidate for aerial video. Although they claim:

Featuring advanced video-capture capabilities, the Canon EOS-1D X’s upgraded imaging system and Dual DIGIC 5+ deliver greatly enhanced movie quality. In particular, the camera minimizes the occurrence of color artifacts and moiré, and enables the shooting of low-noise video even in dark conditions.”

That's pretty pricey, I'm sure the image quality of stills will be amazing and the video better, but I'm not sure if the video will be that much better than a GH2, especially the hacked GH2. I'm surprised that it doesn't shoot 1080P 60 fps. It would be nice if the hacked GH2 shot 1080 60P.

Does anyone know if there's a lens adapter for the GH2 to enable the use of L-series EF Canon lenses? I have the Tokina 11-17 f/2.8 that I'd like to try. Anyone flown one of those?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Av8Chuck..

Could you start a new thread about the GH2 hack please and post what links you have on it..

Thanks Dave

Av8Chuck

Hi Dave,

Finding information about the GH2 hack seems to be confusing. I find it difficult to get straight answers but a good place to start is here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?223622-GH2-official-discussion-thread This is a thread on DVXUser.com started by the hacker.

You can find the link to download the PTool Firmware Manipulation tool here: http://www.gh1-hack.info/wiki/PToolSoftware

And Vitaliy's [The guy who hacked the GH2] website is here, although its interesting reading, its confusing: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/666/ptool-v3.62d-topic

Some of the videos I've seen from hacked GH2 looks amazing but there are so many variables to shooting its hard to tell how much better it is and its difficult to discern from these websites how difficult it is to do this and if its worth the effort. If I could find a lens adapter that enabled me to use Canon EF lenses it would make the decision to purchase a GH2 a lot easier.

Jeff has posted some really nice GH2 footage and I don't believe his is hacked, he's also posted some nice NEX 5n footage which doesn't look as good but the 5n is much smaller, lighter, less expensive and shoots 1080P60.

I guess the fact that there are so many choices is a good thing.

Sorry Dave, I missed the point of starting a new thread. Feel free to move this post if you like.

"Whats the AUW with 5D"
I think we were around 8 pounds AUW.
We have lifted the 5d on the Cinestar 6 and Cinestar 8, but like the 8 better. Not a big fan for the 5dmk2, would rather lift the fs100 for same payload.

"Looking at the numbers while lifting the 5dmk2 with the Cinestar 6. Ambient temp was 88F, and the hottest esc was 79C. Average amp draw was 40-45amps with 50 amps on climb out. Flight time was 8.5 minutes on a 6200 mah."

My GH2 is not hacked. I might take a look into this if I'm not happy with the NEX 7 that we have preordered.

Cheers,
Jeff