Sony Nex-5n - downlink

affas

I have tried all options, Auto, 1080p and 1080i.

Got myself a miniHDMI to HDMI cable today and connected the can directly to my homecinemasystem with great succsess....

So I guess there something wrong with the FF card??

Attachments

• IMAG1667.jpg
    IMAG1667.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 353

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I have tried all options, Auto, 1080p and 1080i...

Just leave it on Auto. Do you have another camera with HDMI out to try?

The big ungainly, metal-boxed HDMI converter has been known to be a bit selective with which cameras it will work with for. Perhaps your FF item has the same problem.

As I said before get in touch with Freefly. They took your money, they should help.

Minnzoo

So I have it in manual focus, but I can't seem to set the focus to anything that looks as good as it does in autofocus, even at long distances. Am I missing something?

gww528

Just to clarify for those looking for a working setup, here is my complete setup for downlink with a Sony NEX5n. (wiring photos for converter at the bottom of post). HUGE thanks to MombasaFlash for helping and posting about this converter hack. Not sure who found it first but thanks to them as well!

Thanks again, Skivvie! This helps a lot for newbies like me :)

+1 very helpful... Thank you! :)

This works with the Sony Nex 5R

Last edited by a moderator:

Minnzoo

I hope someone can tell me what good it is to be able to view fpv through the nex-5n if I can ouly take pics with the gent led in manual. All my pics will be blurry! David

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

vbrewer

Finally look what I found! a HDMI cable shorter than a foot! this is the 6 incher http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-male-t...ink-for-multirotor-FPV-FINALLY-/261122523742?
and the 8 incher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-male-t...ink-for-multirotor-FPV-FINALLY-/261122524330?

Just to clarify for those looking for a working setup, here is my complete setup for downlink with a Sony NEX5n. (wiring photos for converter at the bottom of post). HUGE thanks to MombasaFlash for helping and posting about this converter hack. Not sure who found it first but thanks to them as well!

Sony NEX5n on a PhotoHigher AV130 on a Flexacopter with WKM

HDMI -> RCA converter available from Amazon here:ViewHD Universal Mini HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter
ir

ir

or on Goodluckbuy here: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hdv-m610-mini-hdmi-to-cvbs-lr-audio-converter-adapter-scaler-.html

HDMI to mini HDMI cable that I hacked the plastic off of and put heat shrink on so it would fit between the pulley and the camera. Have a slimmer shorter one on the way... one of these: http://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin-World-s-Thinnest-HDMI-Cable-s/192.htm but can't confirm yet if it will fit without cutting away connector... my guess is no.
View attachment 6378

ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz A/V Tx with the 5v out powering the HDMI converter:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=266
Powering that with a Zippy 1000mAh 2s Lipo

blue beam cloverleaf and skew planar antennas:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49&products_id=550

ImmersionRC Duo5800 A/V Diversity Receiver (overkill but nice):
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=265

Fatshark Dominator video goggles (sometimes, also use LCD screen depending on situation)
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22&products_id=522
Powering these and the receiver with a Zippy 1600mAh 3S Lipo.

Here's how to power/hack the HDMI converter.
Each of the 4 corners has female tabs on the top of the case. Just push into the crack with a spudger or super thin screwdriver to pop the tabs out.
View attachment 6379View attachment 6380

Then desolder the RCA connectors. This is a pain in the *** I suggest you have a good solder sucker.
View attachment 6381

I then soldered a servo lead on like so. 5V to the positive side of the capacitor next to the USB port (the leg closest to the edge of the board). Ground to a leg of the USB shield. And Video to the center pin hole of the video socket, the inner of the two holes. Zip tie for strain relief pop the case back on and pow. Done. IF you don't knock of one of the tiny SM resistors along the way that is. ;-)
View attachment 6383View attachment 6382

I mounted it to the front of the AV130 with some 3M dual lock velcro, battery backpacking along as well.
View attachment 6384

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Finally look what I found! a HDMI cable shorter than a foot!..

Neither of which are much use. They are too short and the straight mini-HDMI plug will be unusable in many gimbals due to lack of space to access the connector on the side of the camera.

You want one of THESE - unless you can find one of the Freefly angled cables where the angle is horizontal rather than vertical.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
So I have it in manual focus ... Am I missing something?

Probably. Mind you, setting infinity focus is not that simple with these stupid cameras. It is much more reassuring when the lens focus ring has an end stop or there is at least a focus bar on the screen. They have neither. The only aid you have is the 'Peaking Level' and 'Peaking Color' (Setup menu). Of course you will need to have something distant to focus on but, bearing in mind you are probably using a wide lens and trying to keep the aperture higher than ƒ7, anything more than a few meters will be in focus anyway.

Minnzoo

Thanks Momba! thats exactly what I am finding. I'll try what you said.

David

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

vbrewer

I disagree, I bought one and it is surprisingly flexible, and I mount my converter right under my camera, half a meter is just crazy long, it weighs so much more than what I have, if you really have so little clearance in your gimbal that you need something with a right angle, then I would just get a type c to type c right angle adapter to use in conjunction with this shorter cable.

Neither of which are much use. They are too short and the straight mini-HDMI plug will be unusable in many gimbals due to lack of space to access the connector on the side of the camera.

You want one of these - unless you can find one of the Freefly angled cables where the angle is horizontal rather than vertical.

vbrewer

I would show you how I have my mount set up but the design was given to me by an AP friend, and he didn't want me to share the design, but what I can say is that the converter should be mounted as close to the camera as possible, I would put it on the bottom of the gimble bucket so it is directly under your camera. This would allow you to save alot of weight and put more mass with your camera increasing your stability.

AlexeiD

Hi
I have the same problem with my nex5n
When I have hdmi cable connected, camera makes 70% less photos. I have to keep pressing photo trigger on my remote control for several seconds to make that photo.

Has anyone had problems with the Gentl Shutter LED when using the HDMI to AV converter? I find the camera does not respond to the LED command correctly when it's going through the HDMI cable, and many of the pics I do take are out of focus. If I can't figure it out, I'll have to go back to my secondary FPV camera to take pics. When I unplug the HDMI cable, everything works properly.

Thanks,

David

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
The problem with a 'Forum' is that people don't bother to go back into a thread to find an answer, they just ask the same questions over and over again. On the other hand, one can hardly blame them as the threads get so long that it can take ages to wade through it all and maybe not even find the answer.

So, ONCE AGAIN. The gentLED SHUTTER does NOT work with a Sony Nex when an HDMI cable is connected .... IF the camera is set to Auto-Focus.
Set the camera to Manual-Focus and the gentLED SHUTTER will work with the HDMI connected.

AlexeiD

I have solved problem with non focusing this summer - yes, by switching to manual focus. But still I have the problem, when I start shooting, I need to press the shoot button for several seconds to get the first shot.

The gentLED SHUTTER does NOT work with a Sony Nex when an HDMI cable is connected .... IF the camera is set to Auto-Focus.

zorba

... was given to me by an AP friend, and he didn't want me to share the design ....
Really? then what are you doing here?
I thought forums are to exchange information and help each other..
Cheers

Nettraptor

Hello there..
I got a White HDMI to AV converter from E-bay and is working with my NEx5n BUT.... i have to connect the converter in usb to gt the required 5v to operate..
2 questions.

1)can i work with it only with HDMI?
2)If not where i will give the required 5v? any pictures??

Last edited by a moderator:

Nettraptor

ok i found it!
Hello there..
I got a White HDMI to AV converter from E-bay and is working with my NEx5n BUT.... i have to connect the converter in usb to gt the required 5v to operate..
2 questions.

1)can i work with it only with HDMI?
2)If not where i will give the required 5v? any pictures??

lopper64

I was powering mine for one day and it worked fine and now video works but by infrared shutter doesnt work anymore when HDMI cable is plugged into camera. Soon as I unplug HDMI from camera remote infrared shutter starts working. Any Ideas?