Sony Nex-5n - downlink

Dr.phil

I haven't bought a camera yet, but I will soon.
Just noticed that there is no composite output on the Sony nex-5n!
How do connect your down link systems?

cryhavoc38

Quadrammit!!
If you havent purchased the 5n yet, I'd hold off if I were you.
Sony is bringing in the 2012 models soon.
The replacement to the nex C3 has already arrived as the Nex F3 with a 16mp sensor.
One could assume that a new Nex 5 series camera is around the corner as the F5

Even though they really haven't acknowledged the overheating issues of the 7 and 5n, its there, so maybe a refresh will be announced later this year.
sonyalpharumors.com has some tidbits and speculation.

cryhavoc38

Quadrammit!!
Thanks guys.
Hmm 490g. Thats pretty heavy

if you are referring to that hdmi converter...this is why you are suppose to remove it from the plastic case and put heat shrink around it. The plastic case is heavy.
you can also unsolder the rca's you don't need, such as the right and left..unless you want to record prop/wind noise in stereo. lol

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke

No you don't.

You need THIS ONE. I've been telling everyone for the past two weeks. I have two of them . AT $37.99 apiece (inc. shipping) they are much cheaper, they are a quarter of the size and weigh just 39g - even with the plastic case.

56.hdmibox_2.jpg

56.hdmibox_3.jpg

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Amazon ships so freakin fast. Ordered this yesterday and it came today on a saturday with normal free prime shipping...
http://amzn.com/B0080KN18K

Here is a pic of it with the case off and next to the old larger version.

Attachments

• new-hdmi-converter.jpg
    new-hdmi-converter.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 538

skivvie

What do you guys think the current draw is on this small HDMI converter? I want to power it from my ImmersionRC Tx but it maxes at 5V 300mA.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I'm running mine the same way from an Iftron Stinger Tx using the built-in 5v camera supply. You can see it in the second photo above. It's okay so far but again, bad weather is really limiting flight opportunities at the moment.

thijmen5

Is the live view decreasing the recorder image in any way? Otherwise i need to go thinking about this option. By this time I thought about an extra fpv cam, but this is way better. I am not that good with electronics, but do you need to make a lot of adjustments to this thing from good luck buy?

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Are you asking if using the HDMI signal to monitor the camera output reduces the recorded image quality? I have no idea but I cannot ever in the world imagine why that should be.

The only necessary mod to the GoodLuckBuy mini-HDMI converter is for the power supply. It comes with a small USB socket. I opened the case and hard wired a regular three-core radio cable to supply 5v +ve and -ve and feed the +ve video signal (power and video share the same -ve).

As the circuit board pins of the USB socket are almost impossible to see, let alone wade in with a big fat 1mm solder-iron tip, I soldered the +ve wire to the nearest parallel point which is +ve leg of the smoothing capacitor just to the left. The -ve goes to any earth tab - I use the metal surround of the switch next door - and the video cable goes to the centre pin of the yellow phono socket. I removed the three phono sockets anyway.

With this three-core radio cable arrangement I am able to utilise the dedicated camera socket of the Iftron transmitter without any further connections or wires being necessary.

thijmen5

Sounds great, thanks. Think i will try it!

The recorded image quality is what I mean indeed. Don't know why it will be reduced, but I'm asking to be sure it won't ;).

BTW: Do you have any pics from the open case and the adjustment you've made?