Z15 need a NEX fixed lens

rsun

Hey Guys.....

Need some help here..

Just got a mail from DJI where they like to know what lens I will use on my Z15...... They want to make it is ready to use when I get it...:nevreness:

DJI don't regament a zoom lens for AP, so would like to know what fixed lens you are using on your NEX 5N.... ( Only got the NEX house, did not buy a lens just jet... )

Thanks for your answer guys...

Rene', same here...I've got a bog-standard 5n with a standard Sony packaged Sony 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 OSS Lens. I've replied to DJI asking are they suggesting that this lens will give bad results for AP work when using it on a Sony Nex 5n/Zenmuse Z15 and that if this is the case then I would reluctantly/probably have to purchase other lens. I await there reply.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
they may have balance issues with the kit lens. a good AP lens is the 16mm prime lens. it's very small, doesn't protrude much from the front of the camera and it's light.

bart

Bart, good call on that and I (sort of) accept the reason why...however I seem to remember many of the promo videos of the S800/Z15 show the Sony Nex 5n with a lens longer than the 16mm variety...It very much looks like I'm going to have to find another £180 ($280) if I want to ensure a level of AP quality output.

Kilby

I'm sorry, but for all the hype that has been put into this gimbal, I would expect it to work with more than one lens, especially considering the price. If they are having balance issues on an NEX, how are they doing with the DSLR version? Will that only be able to use the smallest lens also?

-Terry

Terry, that is exactly what I mean when I used the expression 'sort of' from my earlier reply. All the 'stuff' that has been said and shown really set expectations that then convinced many (including me) to spend a lot of their money up front to purchase fit-for-purpose quality equipment...that is quality in all areas...am I getting the sense that these expectations are being slowly eroded ? I hope it won't turn out as such but it may end up as another expensive also-ran for me.

rsun

I am thinking of using the E16mm F2.8 pancake lens with the ECU1 ultra wide conversion lens and get the ECF1 fisheye conversion lens too..

Then I can chance between the 2 lenses for video and stills....

Is that a good solution ???

yeehaanow

The big advantage I see to have 'super' stabilization is to finally be able to use long lenses.... But not all the time. Balancing the camera for different lenses is as simple as moving it back and forth on the mount, right? I don't get it.

rsun

DJI did recommend the Sony / Zeiss Sonnar E 24mm f/1.8.... but $1400 for a lens is a lot if the 16mm can do the job..

jes1111

Farcical!

Have they actually stated that it's a weight/balance issue? It might be an observed problem with the in-lens stabilisation on certain lenses - which would be tantamount to an admission that their vibration isolation doesn't work ;)

rsun

This is the mail I got from DJI:

First mail:
Greetings!
For AP purpose, setting up the camera with our Z15, what kind of lens are you planning to use?
I got confirmation from our engineer dep. To get the best quality during AP, recommend you use fixed lens instead of zoom lens.

Second mail:
The thing is different camera have different center of gravity. The same thing happens even when you’re using different lens.
This will cause the ripple effect.
Our engineer will do a lot of homework before ship out the Z15. We want our customer to get this Z15 ready to use J

We have did a lot of test, something I can ensure is that zoom lens could not work good on AP. Lens will change focus length during flight when shaking.
Fixed lens would a better option.
One of my customer in Caribbean use the Sony / Zeiss Sonnar E 24mm f/1.8.

So that is why I like to know what I should go for as a fixed lens.... like to get a fine video from the start... :)

jes1111

Really odd! Jello is caused by vibration. Also, the lens could indeed "zoom itself" if it was subject to vibration. Neither problem is related (directly) to CoG. Are they tacitly admitting that their vibe isolation doesn't actually work? Are they conceding that the CoG adjustment range is inadequate? Haven't they heard of gaffer tape? Do they know anything about the hobby/profession for which they are designing a high-ticket product?

Between this and the Pletty debacle, who needs TV? ;-)

EDIT: Please don't think I'm dismissing or belittling the real side of this - real people's real money! Everyone affected has my sympathy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

I think the reason is to do with where they fit the camera position so that it will balance. A zoom lens will change it's CoG as you zoom it, so that is probably the reason. When you get into this kind of pointing accuracy the camera has to be perfectly balanced because the fast acting motors cannot hold a high torque output. If you spend about 500,000 usd on a Cineflex then guess what, it has to be balanced internally to suit the lens. I am afraid it goes with this level of performance.

jes1111

I understand what you're suggesting, Denny - but the Sony 18-55 lens changes it's length by about 12mm (I just looked it up!). If the mount cannot cope with that tiny amount of mass moving by that tiny distance (relative to the total mass of the camera and the pitch axis itself)... well, then maybe they should also be asking "Do you intend to fit a lens hood? Plastic or metal? And how about a UV filter? Hoya or B+W?" ;-) If it is that sensitive then, IMO it would be an unusable system, "unfit for purpose". My understanding is that they are using direct-drive brushless motors - they should certainly have enough holding torque. Mind you, thinking about it - how are you supposed to balance the thing? If they are brushless then they'll have that "cogging" thing happening when no power is applied - so they must provide some way of disconnecting the axis - tricky on direct drive. Maybe that's the problem - there's no way for the user to balance it!

It's all speculation until the actual product is shipped. I can't wait! :)

yeehaanow

Am I the only one that would want to put a long lens on this thing? All their tests have been super wide lenses. Boring. I want to see what it does with a 100mm. :)
My guess is that they are stalling for time and doing some market research. Every camera on every gimbal should always be balanced. That, I thought, was a given. ??
Judging by how much effort it has taken to tune the picloc for my camera and gimbal I can see why their tuning would be so specific.

DennyR

I understand what you're suggesting, Denny - but the Sony 18-55 lens changes it's length by about 12mm (I just looked it up!). If the mount cannot cope with that tiny amount of mass moving by that tiny distance (relative to the total mass of the camera and the pitch axis itself)... well, then maybe they should also be asking "Do you intend to fit a lens hood? Plastic or metal? And how about a UV filter? Hoya or B+W?" ;-) If it is that sensitive then, IMO it would be an unusable system, "unfit for purpose". My understanding is that they are using direct-drive brushless motors - they should certainly have enough holding torque. Mind you, thinking about it - how are you supposed to balance the thing? If they are brushless then they'll have that "cogging" thing happening when no power is applied - so they must provide some way of disconnecting the axis - tricky on direct drive. Maybe that's the problem - there's no way for the user to balance it!

It's all speculation until the actual product is shipped. I can't wait! :)

I think we are all getting carried away with technology, we should be more focussed on getting out there and using our creative processes to produce artistic work in what ever way that suits us as individuals. How you get the result is of secondary importance. We will be judged at the end of the day by our clients who don't care about anything other than the final result. Brand loyalty is unimportant, it is all about what you do with it in your own style. Tweeking this and that along the way. I would love to see a GoPro sized camera with a BOSS lens system and 4 K resolution. In the meantime I will have to find other ways to get the best out of what I have.

rsun

Well spoken Danny......
To many peoples guesswork and excuses on the different forums on why people don't what to buy this or that product..... and properly i many cases it is just because thy don't have the time ($$$) for it... lol
Also in many cases the treads are so long and boring that the good info gets lost, just because people don't want to read a lot of personal views that don't help you and your problem....

Like this tread might is turning into....:nevreness: