Sony Nex-5n - downlink

featherodd

HDMI -> RCA converter available from Amazon here:ViewHD Universal Mini HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter
ir

Here's how to power/hack the HDMI converter.
Each of the 4 corners has female tabs on the top of the case. Just push into the crack with a spudger or super thin screwdriver to pop the tabs out.
View attachment 6379View attachment 6380

Then desolder the RCA connectors. This is a pain in the *** I suggest you have a good solder sucker.
View attachment 6381

I then soldered a servo lead on like so. 5V to the positive side of the capacitor next to the USB port (the leg closest to the edge of the board). Ground to a leg of the USB shield. And Video to the center pin hole of the video socket, the inner of the two holes. Zip tie for strain relief pop the case back on and pow. Done. IF you don't knock of one of the tiny SM resistors along the way that is. ;-)
View attachment 6383View attachment 6382

skivvie: Huge thanks for posting these instructions. They're extremely helpful! ;D

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
but has anyone found a source for a very short hdmi cable? I like that smaller converter, the first one everyone was using was HUGE!

summary, short cable anyone?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just ordered one, thanks.

and just for the record, the 6" can be found here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-male-to.../261122523742?
and the 8 incher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-male-to.../261122524330?

and, regarding the gentLED, Mombasaflash wants everyone to know

ONCE AGAIN. The gentLED SHUTTER does NOT work with a Sony Nex when an HDMI cable is connected .... IF the camera is set to Auto-Focus.
Set the camera to Manual-Focus and the gentLED SHUTTER will work with the HDMI connected.

:tennis::tennis:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thank you Bart for letting everyone know for THE LAST TIME about the gentLED/Nex/HDMI/Focus issue :).

Those 6" and 8" cables look a little too short for our installations. I have been using a short right-angle mini-HDMI to HDMI cable from eBay UK shop CineGearPro. They are still selling them HERE.

Only proviso is that the orientation of the r/a mini-HDMI connector is a bit of a lottery. Sometimes the right-angle will go upwards when plugged into the camera HDMI socket, and sometimes it will go down. I bought two of these cables and ended up with one of each !

And finally, for the positively absolutely definitely LAST TIME ONCE AGAIN. The gentLED SHUTTER does NOT work with a Sony Nex when an HDMI cable is connected .... IF the camera is set to Auto-Focus.
Set the camera to Manual-Focus and the gentLED SHUTTER will work with the HDMI connected.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thanks for that pokmon. However, I must look for the Mac .dmg version (if it exists) because one thing that aggravates the bloody hell out of me is doing ANYTHING on a Windows PC. Like now, when the firmware update aborted because of WTF, who knows?. Hardly surprising when you consider the tortuous route a Windows install of anything has to take.

EDIT 1: Hmm. Turns out the Mac firmware updater procedure is just as tortuous and on top that ... IT doesn't work either.

Good one Sony.

EDIT 2: PC/Mac/Parallels etc. Info bulletin.

A Mac running OS 10.5.8 (Leopard) will not update Nex-5n firmware with either the Mac .dmg file OR with the Windows file running XP via Parallels 6.

A Mac running OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and Parallels 8 WILL update the Nex-5n firmware with the same .dmg file.

If that makes Snow Leopard look good ... DJI Wookong software works great with Parallels 6 on the Leopard Mac but does NOT work properly with Parallels 8 on Snow Leopard. The check boxes next to the various Motor Mixer options are not displayed. It is therefore not possible to verify or change the Motor Mixer selection. All other functions do work however.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... MombasaFlash if you have a problems with mac update, try communicate with Sony

The firmware update DID load ... eventually ... on a Macbook Pro running OS 10.6 with Parallels 8 and Windos XP Pro. It didn't at first on an iMac running OS 10.5 with Parallels 6.

The Sony site lists minimum requirements as Mac OS 10.5, but apparently they are wrong about that. It perhaps should read OS 10.6.

Who knows? Who understands computer rubbish anyway!

Has anyone tried using their HDMI2AV converter through a flytron video switch?

I want to be able to switch between my wide angle 12v fpv cam (powered via 12v bec) and the video output from the HDMI2AV box from my nex5n. Both of these go through the video switch (powered by and plugged into my RX) feed into a minimOSD (signal wires only), and then the resulting signal goes to my vtx... simple right.

What happens is if I don't power the HDMI2AV box, my FPV cam will work fine with the OSD, and when I flick the switch to change to the NEX5, I just get a grey screen with the OSD on it. Once I power the HDMI2AV box with a hacked usb cable plugged into the power of my receiver, the secondary position on the switch will now display the NEX5n image with the OSD overlaid correctly, but position 1 to view my FPV cam will just scroll the screen across and look like it's never really locking onto the signal.

That definitely looks like the culprit, but I'm having trouble re-wiring it to eliminate it. I've tried powering the HDMI2AV box with a 5v BEC which is running off the 12V BEC that supplies the VTx and 12V camera. Also the switcher board is powered by the same 5v BEC and only the signal wire is connected to the receiver, so the only ground for the whole lot is through the 12v BEC. I've also tried powering my OSD from the same 5V BEC, but I get the exact same behaviour no matter what I try.

Turns out I can't use photoshop for ****. Just tried for half an hour to draw up a connection diagram, but having no luck at all getting anywhere fast.

Hey guys, i too had issue with the Nex5R not churning out signal if via the hdmi2av converter, however direct hdmi to tv works.

My stuffs purchased from the below links, which highly the same one as you guys have.
1) hdmi2av
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini...dapter-Free-Shipping-Wholesale/757266276.html

2) mini hdmi to hdmi cable, 50cm (very stiff :-( )
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...I-Cable-V1-4-3D-for-Camcorders/668125541.html

3) Tarot PTZ IR shutter
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tarot-ZYX-GS-RISC-ZYX21-Infrared-RC-PTZ-shutter/819222106.html

The only thing different and positive in my case is, i don't have the shutter issue, tested in lanscape mode and Iauto mode, on Auto focus, with direct hdmi to tv, or through hdmi2av(even no image), the IR shutter works perfectly without delay, and able to shoot continously without pause if i leave the stick there. Hope this helps.

My issue when connected through the hdmi2av. Shows colour bars and words.
E1A7006A-C9B0-49EC-B9A8-13BAD672D21F-443-000000302A646513.jpg

And within a second, it will go bad.
A7B98D19-B128-4ECA-8142-BA70AD546C6E-443-000000302C70EAD9.jpg

Tried all sorts of settings on the Nex5R, Auto, 1080i or p, different turn on sequence. Nothing works. I have a friend on 5N, it works. Also, when i connect my sis Canon EOS M to the hdmi2av converter, image display immediately!

So this is very much issue btw Nex5R and the hdmi2av. Damn. Hope to sort it out asap!

I did. Tried with power bank/5V stepdown for my GPS, tried different sequence. Non works.

Also, the blue light will not come on if i supply it with 5V from any method, but if i connect it to Nex5, the blue light comes up instantly. Haih

Hi, could you help me out? My board is slightly different to those I have seen here. Can someone please tell me where I should fix the +5v feed?

View attachment 12922

View attachment 12921

I have the same board and am having trouble getting power to it. If i power it with usb via computer and use the composite out to my fpv monitor it does work. A wiring diagram of this board or how to power with a usb cable would be awesome. The wire colors inside the usb cable i have chopped up are yellow, white, blue, and green. Any help would be great!

here is a link to exact board: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080KN18K/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a basic wiring diagram for hacking a usb cable to power the converter

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6513089709_77eca80b54_b.jpg

Hey guys I've got mine working!!!

It was like this, i noticed whatever 5V source that i connect to the MicroUSB, the blue light just wont't come on, except if i connected the hdmi to Nex5R.

So no choice and finally pry it opened and noticed mine is a blue board, which got me thinking maybe it's the reason it isn't working, since you guys got a green one.
9F05D470-35F4-4B4D-ACC1-2A32D2154317-2946-000002A4DD7DD9F6.jpg

And know what?! I noticed the USB Pins aren't soldered to the board at all!!! Blardy China chinese. Maybe they thought it's too tiny and too hard so they didn't bother to solder it!? If then wtf for gave me a usb cable!!! Theres even some fractured fragment on top of the Pin 2 and 3!
7F5B0E5C-7851-4B4D-83DC-2F68273C19A1-2946-000002A4ED0ACDDF.jpg

So i took my soldering gun with the tiniest tip and tried soldered it. Not that easy. Took few try. Tips : sharpen your solder first.
45D89B4B-5F03-4BC8-9035-16C6D77E689D-2946-000002A4F52C787D.jpg

Then with the sequence advised here, i powered the converter first, then connect the hdmi and turn on the camera. Volla! It works instantly!
Also tested with the PTZ IR shutter. Works flawlessly at landscape mode, no lag. I could hold down my shutter/switch and it will continue to shoot.
My camera is PAL version but funny in the PAL mode selected on converter, its more cropped than the NTSC.
370C77A8-5B7C-44D0-8EDA-A8E78B55F263-2946-000002A4F8DBB145.jpg

Later also removed big jack and the usb jack. Hope they still working after this. Lol... Removing the jack was quite impossible, the pcb at the bottom got screwed and ripped.
1FAB05E6-9DE9-4F45-8213-6763E1174846-2946-000002A4FB132CE7.jpg

tritan

I just bought and received this HDMI converter from Kopterworx: http://www.kopterworx.com/New-product-in-April/HDMI-2-AV-converter-mini?keyword=hdmi

I had previously bought the white ebay box but never got it to work with my Nex5N no matter what I did.
Had some initial problems but figured out that I had to change to 1080i (1080p doesnt work, two seconds works then 2 seconds blue screen).

Now I want to get rid of the white text displayed on the screen but I cant get rid of all the text - how can I do that? I've read all the 20 pages and might have missed the info .....

I did not have to add extra 5V it just worked. And as Kilby wrote, to work with LED solution is here: Use mode P, S, A or M and then in autofocus area, select flexible spot!

Thanks
tritan

Attachments

• HDMI 2 AV converter mini.jpg
    HDMI 2 AV converter mini.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 361