S800 alternative props

nisouck

Just contact DennyR, three posts above this one. He'll get you squared away. I just came back in from shooting a little video and was yet again very impressed by how much smoother everything it with Denny's Prop adapters and the APC props. You can buy 6 APC 14X4.7 props for roughly the same price as one of those "mix-master" CF props. You can use other props as well so that part is up to you. Enjoy the improvement!

Done. Thanks.

bordhead

I hope there are no issues with this update..
As for prop adapted ... I tried xoar ,ACP and went back to the stock..I guess I got used to the stock props.. Ididn't see much improvement on run teime ,no diferance on motor heat and I personally like the feel of the carbon props with my low gains. Anyone wants some prop adapters PM me I don't need them . Make me an offer.

I hope there are no issues with this update..
As for prop adapted ... I tried xoar ,ACP and went back to the stock..I guess I got used to the stock props.. Ididn't see much improvement on run teime ,no diferance on motor heat and I personally like the feel of the carbon props with my low gains. Anyone wants some prop adapters PM me I don't need them . Make me an offer.

Bordhead: You mentioned your "low gains". Can you tell me what the advantage is of this? I still feel that my S800 has a tiny little twitch here and there (I can always remove it with stabilization in video post) but I wonder if this is related to my gain settings in any way. I am still trying to sort this out and would welcome any advice. One of my issues is that I am at an elevation at typically between 6,000 and 7,500 MSL. My gains are set a little higher than most for this reason (thinner air, density altitude issues). For example; I find that I must keep my Vert. gain on the Wookong to a minimum of 175 just to be able to hover at mid-stick and this is with a very light weight Sony NEX5N and 16MM pancake lens and just one 5,000 mAh lipo. This was a disappointment as I had originally intended to use my Canon 5D Mark 2 with various lenses. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eoin

Hi guys,
Have had to dremel a groove into one of the prop screws to get it off, so I can attach Dennys adaptors. Some of those DJI screws are so soft it's ridiculous. One turn and hex became as smooth as butter.
Problem I now have is I can hear and feel the friction from the motor as some of the iron filings got into it. Is there any safe easy way to clean this out ? I don't have any tools to remove the eclip, and if I could avoid taking the motor apart I'd be much happier.
Suggestions very welcome !
Eoin

When this sort of thing has happened to me I just turn the motor (or arm) over an flood it from the top with electronic contact cleaner. It disappears completely from what I have experienced and is a pretty safe way to actually wash all of the that crap out of there. You can get it at Radio Shack, an electronics shop and maybe even Home Depot.

Eoin

Thanks Rancher Pete,
I'll see what I can source over here (Ireland) and give it a go. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when doing this kind of thing ?

gregs

RancherPete, where are you? For some thing I read in the past, I think you are in Colorado, like me. The reason I ask is because of similar altitudes. I'm at 6840'. I fly an S800, Zenmuse, 8000 battery so I'm definitely heavier then you. I think I'm at 12 pounds. Like you, I have implemented Denny's hubs and the APC's. Definitely better on vibes and jello but definitely worse on lift. Takes more RPM to keep it in the air along with less throttle response. I had a prop stop spinning (I figured out that problem) and at full throttle it's attitude was great but not enough lift to come down slowly. The whole thing grenaded. Are you getting plenty of lift with the APC's at your altitude compared to the stock CF's? Also, I think you are the one that started the specific silicon caulking technique between your reinforcement tube and the arms. I tried different techniques, for me yours is the easiest and most effective out there other than massive amounts of work. I break arms so it doesn't make sense to me to do all that reinforcement work and then just have the arm snap at the hub connection. I thank you for that tip.

vislaw

Hi guys,
Have had to dremel a groove into one of the prop screws to get it off, so I can attach Dennys adaptors. Some of those DJI screws are so soft it's ridiculous. One turn and hex became as smooth as butter.
Problem I now have is I can hear and feel the friction from the motor as some of the iron filings got into it. Is there any safe easy way to clean this out ? I don't have any tools to remove the eclip, and if I could avoid taking the motor apart I'd be much happier.
Suggestions very welcome !
Eoin
I've got the same problem and I appreciate your post so I can cover my motor when I put the dremel to the screw. At first I wondered if I had used a non-metric hex or something but - nope - as you say, some of these screws are about like clay.

Mark

RancherPete, where are you? For some thing I read in the past, I think you are in Colorado, like me. The reason I ask is because of similar altitudes. I'm at 6840'. I fly an S800, Zenmuse, 8000 battery so I'm definitely heavier then you. I think I'm at 12 pounds. Like you, I have implemented Denny's hubs and the APC's. Definitely better on vibes and jello but definitely worse on lift. Takes more RPM to keep it in the air along with less throttle response. I had a prop stop spinning (I figured out that problem) and at full throttle it's attitude was great but not enough lift to come down slowly. The whole thing grenaded. Are you getting plenty of lift with the APC's at your altitude compared to the stock CF's? Also, I think you are the one that started the specific silicon caulking technique between your reinforcement tube and the arms. I tried different techniques, for me yours is the easiest and most effective out there other than massive amounts of work. I break arms so it doesn't make sense to me to do all that reinforcement work and then just have the arm snap at the hub connection. I thank you for that tip.

Gregs, thanks for your contact. I'm in Durango. I'm glad that the 'silicone tip' worked well for you and I appreciate your commenting on this. My S800 is much better now too. Like you I do get a little less flight time with the 14 X 4.7 APC props than I did with the DJIs (7 minutes on one 5,000 lipo vs. 8 minutes with DJI props) but the smoothness of the flight makes it well worth this diminished flight time. Also the cost of these props makes it worth the swap out as well since they cost just 5-6 dollars each. Maybe there is a more efficient prop, like the Zoars (?) Denny likes those so maybe he has something to contribute in this regard. If you put a little bit of blue locktite on your prop nuts and a tiny bit between the prop and the adapter before tightening down the nut it will give you a good, secure lock and will be much less likely to loosen and spin off. I have always done it this way and have had good results so far (knock on wood). The fact that the prop and hub do not have some sort of matching male/female detent to help lock it place has always bothered me on these things so this is my crude solution. So where in Colorado are you?

I've got the same problem and I appreciate your post so I can cover my motor when I put the dremel to the screw. At first I wondered if I had used a non-metric hex or something but - nope - as you say, some of these screws are about like clay.

Mark

One of the nice things about Denny's kit is that it comes with good hardware. The screws he uses take a nice, meaty hex for a positive fit.

Eoin

One of the nice things about Denny's kit is that it comes with good hardware. The screws he uses take a nice, meaty hex for a positive fit.
Yeah ! I have to say the build quality of Denny's adaptor kit is excellent. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Have the APC's and the Graupners balanced and ready. If I ever go back to the stock props I'm going to source alternative screws.

DennyR

Yeah ! I have to say the build quality of Denny's adaptor kit is excellent. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Have the APC's and the Graupners balanced and ready. If I ever go back to the stock props I'm going to source alternative screws.
You could probably use the same ones that I supplied in the kit. The ones that DJI use are not great IMHO I was thinking about making some alternative sets for the whole model.

The DJI ones are ok for strapping down PC boards ets. But for the structural integrity of the model itself where locktite is used then they will strip out the hex. drive if you have to remove them using a ball driver. Using two to hold the prop. qualifies for economic stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

My Dev. S800 has now passed the 250 flights mark and is running with 5.16.

Also it is using 15x5 Xoars which I can recommend as the perfect combo with my adapters.

This thing just gets better and better.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
That was also my feeling back than when it test the apc and the xoar with your adapter. The xaor 15x5 just give it a much smoother and calmer feeling in the air !

Boris

dolby

Needs more bacon!
DennyR, I'm using the Graupner 14x8 and they work fine however battery life isn't all that great when using them. I assume the Xoar 15x5 its better?

Any one in the united states know of a shop here that stocks these Xoar 15x5 precision pair? I've ordered over seas from electricwingman in the past and its a great shop but the shipping is a bit expensive to the states.

Thanks!

PapaRomeo

Denny, absolutely super job on your prop holders. Quality is as good as it gets and fit 100%. I have now on my S800 Denny's prop holders and 15x4 Xoars. No more white lights. Well I have tested only two flights but on those two flights NO white lights. It was very windy today.

DennyR

Denny, absolutely super job on your prop holders. Quality is as good as it gets and fit 100%. I have now on my S800 Denny's prop holders and 15x4 Xoars. No more white lights. Well I have tested only two flights but on those two flights NO white lights. It was very windy today.

I am so pleased that it is working for you guys. A lot of water went under the bridge to get where we are.