WKM 5.14a Problems?

apeman88

Anyone got problems with hot motors, ESC, or crashes on 5.14a? 3 of us in So Cal that upgraded to 5.14a crashed our birds last week. I was the first to crash and initially thought it was battery low but after checking the battery at home, and after 2 others crashed the same way... we are thinking it's ESC overheat and it shut down the motor. Just noticed someone over at RCgroup (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486386&page=1015#post22685549) also had a crash the same way. Just wondering if anyone else have the same problem.

I talked to DJI China a few times... they are advising to use DJI ESCs (i'm currently using Maytech 35A V1) with AVROTO M2814-11 motors. They also advised there are no changes to motor control in 5.12 or 5.14a. But I noticed motor 1 and 3 gets warmer than 2 and 4 pre 5.12 and after 5.12, 1 and 3 gets HOT. Also... after taking my bird apart (as well as one other crashed CX4 on 5.14a)... the shrinkwrap on the Maytech burnt through displaying overheating symptoms. (see pic).

View attachment 6189

Below is the video of my crash on 5.14a. twitched twice and motor 3 shut down and crashed. My guess is the weather (being too hot) combined with ESC overheating shut down the ESC and motor.

Ken

Attachments

• Maytech Motor 3 CCW ESC.jpg
    Maytech Motor 3 CCW ESC.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 291
Last edited by a moderator:

Eoin

Hi apeman88,
Sorry for your misfortune ! Do you happen to know if all the crashes were with non DJI ESC's ?
This would help pinpoint the cause.
Regards
Eoin

apeman88

2 of the 3 on 5.14a crashed last week were DroidWorx CX4s with Maytech 35A V1 ESCs running AVROTO M2814-11 motors. The other one is an Octo running M2814-11 motors but not sure on ESC.. believe they were Maytechs as well.

Ken

3dheliguy

Ok what is going on here... This is really important as I'm about to buy a similar setup. And this would be unacceptable at this level of money.

3dheliguy

If it's the weather that would be a really bad sign because these rigs are should be able to handle this load in any weather?

apeman88

From DJI China tech support... they test every release of firmware with their ESC... so if you can use DJI's ESC... that would be best. Noticed the Maytech ESCs have one heatsink on top and the DJI (although many say are the same Hobbywing ESC with DJI's own firmware), have 2 heatsinks... one on top and one on the bottom. Maybe that could of prevented it from overheating and crashing if that is really the cause of it.

Ken

3dheliguy

Awe or the motors are drawing to much current. Everyone of these events was has the same factor the motors Avroto 2814. I wonder if it's the motors? That could be if I were in your situation, I would step up my Cell count from whatever it is to one more Cell that should make it run cooler. But then again a CX4 is a small bird.

apeman88

It could be the motors as well drawing too much current. But the Maytechs are 35A which should be plenty to supply the current. Plus... it worked fine for over 30 flights with 5.08 firmware. It was only when upgraded to 5.12 I started to notice wobbles but no crashes but noticed the motors getting hotter than on 5.08. Once I adjusted the gains down a little... the wobble went away so didn't think much about it. With 5.14a... it was only my second flight and was planning to adjust the gains down even more after the 2nd flight but it crashed.

I'm also swapping out the AVROTOs for another lower kV motor... so that should also improve the current drain. We'll see.

Ken

3dheliguy

Yeah, awe Im just going keep clear of those motors... I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I would if I were you switch to a different motor for your expensive toy.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I flew today with 5.12 and things were all over the place, i felt like the throttle had no power like it used to. I then switched to 5.14a, hesitantly i should add, but i did it as i like to stay up to date. it flew VERY well for me. I think this had more to do with it being dead calm though. but no weird characteristics. I am using Avrotos and maytech 30amp V1's.

Tahoe Ed

ATTENTION ALL - I just want to post here that BETA means just that. It is for testing, and has not been finalized. You try at your own risk. Right now 5.12 is only officially released software. If you want to wait, then do so, please. It is better to wait until the software is finalized than try something that will cost you a lot of money if it fails with your set up. USER BEWARE!!!! You are in control. I have tried the BETA versions without having any issues, but my experiences do not mirror everyone here. Some have had some significant failures. For those on the fence post, please wait until the software is finalized. Let the rest of us take the hit so you do not have to.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I think this is dangerous and bad business! If you dont feel good enough about the firmware to confidently ask people to update to it, you should not be releasing it to the public. It is the responsibility of the company to thoroughly test these things before releasing. Joe blow will see the update and assume it is a fix or the latest greatest firmware. If it is for testing they should have a group of dedicated testers!

Tahoe Ed

IrisAerial,

I disagree, many clamor for more features and applications, and then dis the manufacturer if they do not provide them ready or not. The BETA software does that function, it allows the users to experience the BETA software. They were informed before hand that it was not factory confirmed as approved software. I have posted before, use the proven software if you want proven performance, currently 5.12. If you want to experiment, thy the BETA.

Ed

DennyR

Ed you are right, There are so many different set-ups with people using a mix of this and that. How can anyone cater for all of that. I am more concerned about the state of play with those who are using stock DJI stuff. FWIW I had my motors stop on a S800/Zen. and it dropped like a brick into the sea. I sent it all back to China and It came back fully repaired FOC and NO questions asked. I cant imagine any other manufacturer doing that. I cant say for sure if it was the firmware that caused the crash. More likely those dodgy first ESC's. We will never know. It does however seem very quiet with the 5.14a. No one has yet come fwd to say they had a failure with the new ESC's

DennyR

I flew today with 5.12 and things were all over the place, i felt like the throttle had no power like it used to. I then switched to 5.14a, hesitantly i should add, but i did it as i like to stay up to date. it flew VERY well for me. I think this had more to do with it being dead calm though. but no weird characteristics. I am using Avrotos and maytech 30amp V1's.

As there is no difference in the motor controls between 12 and 14a it would suggest that 12 was not loaded and set-up correctly.....

Jits

Hi, not wishing to hijack this thread but I posted this thread yesterday about 5.12

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...firmware-now-motors-7-and-8-twitch-on-and-off

as getting twitching in motors 7 and 8.

I know you guys are very experienced so for my skyjib 8 would you recommend sticking with 5.12 and not caring about the twitching 7 and 8 or go to 5.12a or 5.14a or rollback?

I use Maytech 40A (Maytech Harrier Supreme MT40A-SBEC) and I previously had melting shrink wrap even though in theory I was not taking the motors or the escs to their limits. Cured this by dropping form 6 cells to 4 cells and I've also got some RAM heat sinks, yet to be installed, to aid with cooling (arguably don't need these now but can't see that they will do any harm). Additionally I thought the escs felt cooler after my slightly apprehensive flight tests under 5.12 compared with 5.02 although that was not a measured temperature.

Thanks

Blacksails

Hi, not wishing to hijack this thread but I posted this thread yesterday about 5.12

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...firmware-now-motors-7-and-8-twitch-on-and-off

as getting twitching in motors 7 and 8.

I know you guys are very experienced so for my skyjib 8 would you recommend sticking with 5.12 and not caring about the twitching 7 and 8 or go to 5.12a or 5.14a or rollback?

I use Maytech 40A (Maytech Harrier Supreme MT40A-SBEC) and I previously had melting shrink wrap even though in theory I was not taking the motors or the escs to their limits. Cured this by dropping form 6 cells to 4 cells and I've also got some RAM heat sinks, yet to be installed, to aid with cooling (arguably don't need these now but can't see that they will do any harm). Additionally I thought the escs felt cooler after my slightly apprehensive flight tests under 5.12 compared with 5.02 although that was not a measured temperature.

Thanks

If your flying an octo you should be using 5.12a.

5.12a was only released to fix a problem on 5.12 for octocopters where motors 7 and 8 would cut out whilst in flight

DennyR

Are you using the latest controller, If not you should be sending it back for a replacement. The problems that you describe were what happens with the old controller on the new firmware.

Jits

Thanks guys. Will go to 5.12a.

How do I know if the controller is old, is there an easy identifier?