Photohigher skyline rsgs

Does anybody run the skyline with high voltage? Or just 5V? But as i read in the photohiger manual 5 volts are max, but on a webpage that sold it, the max voltage was over 7 volts, witch is perfekt for high voltage servos..
I made a "help me thread" would be great if sombody could help me out with this :)

SMP

Thanks 1001 - Started playing with gains as suggested. Won in some directions and lost in another. Since we are so new it does take a bit of headscratching to figure out why a change affect things in a certain way. Case in point... with gains near 100 stick inputs were very smooth.. increased the gains substantially 300 tilt and 550 roll and suddenly the stick inputs are rapid and on/off like a lightswitch. Wouldnt have thought the one would impact the other...

Blacksails

Need a bit of advice guys.

I usually remove the belt and drive gear before setting my servo centre tune. I can usually get it so that the servos are dead still, very quiet and a barely crackling. After doing this, I reconnect the belt and drive gear and then set my xy level and my z level. I never use auto tune as I've not had luck with it in the past.

Even if I set the xy level perfectly with a spirit level, it always ends up with 9-10 degrees roll to the right when I activate the servos, it has done this on every firmware. I can fix this by drastically adjusting my roll centre tune, and everything seems to work fine.

My question is: Is it a bad idea to use the centre tune to fine tune your gimbals level position? Is there anything inherently bad about this? Strain on the servos etc?

Also, I've tried adjusting my skylines position, but I still can't sort the problem in which the gimbal rolls when tilted straight down.

MikeH

No i wouldn't recommend it. Centre tune is used to fine tune the servos centre point. If you have completed your levels, and autotune then find your servos still creep then you adjust the centre tune value until the creep stops.
If you use the centre tune to adjust the level position you will end up with constant movement on the axis you are adjusting. ie you ill be inducing servo creep and the skyline will be constantly working to prevent that creep, ultimately your footage will suffer.

If the gimbal rolls when pointed straight down then your levels are off. If the levels are in fact perfectly level try offsetting the level slightly ie leave the roll at 1deg and see if it is better or worse, if worse try the other side.

If this doesn't help you out then let me know.

Cheers
Mike

Need a bit of advice guys.

I usually remove the belt and drive gear before setting my servo centre tune. I can usually get it so that the servos are dead still, very quiet and a barely crackling. After doing this, I reconnect the belt and drive gear and then set my xy level and my z level. I never use auto tune as I've not had luck with it in the past.

Even if I set the xy level perfectly with a spirit level, it always ends up with 9-10 degrees roll to the right when I activate the servos, it has done this on every firmware. I can fix this by drastically adjusting my roll centre tune, and everything seems to work fine.

My question is: Is it a bad idea to use the centre tune to fine tune your gimbals level position? Is there anything inherently bad about this? Strain on the servos etc?

Also, I've tried adjusting my skylines position, but I still can't sort the problem in which the gimbal rolls when tilted straight down.

Blacksails

Hi Mike,

Appreciate the help, thanks. I'll dial my servo tunes back to where they should be then. The only problem is now that when I set xy level it won't sit level when the servos are activated. I've tried offsetting and it will only ever sit like 7-10 degrees either side of centre on roll.

When tilted straight down, offsetting doesn't seem to have any effect on reducing the roll. It rolls left

iscorama

Have the same problem with this useless piece of crap...

I have brand new, never used in flight AV200 360pan + skyline = payed 1500EUR for it.
If anyone want to buy it for 1000eur I would be more than happy to let it go... I'm willing to loose 500eur (1/3 of my money for nothing) and countless hours of my life for photohigher's false advertising and bad quality products...

Please someone buy this from me so I don't have to visit this topic never again

Last edited by a moderator:

mounirz

I have brand new, never used in flight AV200 360pan + skyline = payed 1500EUR for it.
If anyone want to buy it for 1000eur I would be more than happy to let it go... I'm willing to loose 500eur (1/3 of my money for nothing) and countless hours of my life for photohigher's false advertising and bad quality products...

seems i'm not the only one selling !!! i'm also selling because i didn't get any professional support :( the av 200 is a veeryyyy good gimbal with high precision engineering..... but the software didn't match that. though still im able to get good footage but not as good as i expected ..... even if they release the hero series i am not going to buy it ... im going to stick with cinestar gimbal and radian ....

MikeH

strange. What firmware are using?

It's generally a last resort but what happens if you adjust the sub trim on the transmitter to set it at level? Does it always return to level once it is set that way?

Hi Mike,

Appreciate the help, thanks. I'll dial my servo tunes back to where they should be then. The only problem is now that when I set xy level it won't sit level when the servos are activated. I've tried offsetting and it will only ever sit like 7-10 degrees either side of centre on roll.

When tilted straight down, offsetting doesn't seem to have any effect on reducing the roll. It rolls left

Blacksails

strange. What firmware are using?

It's generally a last resort but what happens if you adjust the sub trim on the transmitter to set it at level? Does it always return to level once it is set that way?

Im using firmware 1.2.2. I've managed after literally 5 hours of tweaking managed to get my roll to sit level. But it doesn't matter what I do, I cannot get the roll or pan to stay centred if the tray is tilted straight down. Ive adjusted the skyline itself so that its as close to level as I can see, to almost 90 degrees out and I still get the same result.

I've had the skyline since it came out and every other time I've tried to set it up its worked lovely, this time however, it's a pain in the arse!

MikeH

iscorama - are you having the same issues as Blacksails or somebody else?

The skyline and AV200 do work, they just require time to set up correctly. My camerman and I put roughly 40 flights through the equipment, just flying the same path and checking the video after each flight. Adjust the gimbal and repeat. Unfortunately in this line of work the equipment isn't plug and play and if you want results time has to be invested. There is a new and much more detailed manual on the way, It will include video also. Just give me a couple of weeks, I am writing it each night after finishing my day job hence the time required..........

MikeH

Nice work on the roll! what do you think was the cause?
What country are you in? i will give brendon at photohigher a call on Monday (hopefully) and see what his thoughts are.

Im using firmware 1.2.2. I've managed after literally 5 hours of tweaking managed to get my roll to sit level. But it doesn't matter what I do, I cannot get the roll or pan to stay centred if the tray is tilted straight down. Ive adjusted the skyline itself so that its as close to level as I can see, to almost 90 degrees out and I still get the same result.

I've had the skyline since it came out and every other time I've tried to set it up its worked lovely, this time however, it's a pain in the arse!

Blacksails

Nice work on the roll! what do you think was the cause?
What country are you in? i will give brendon at photohigher a call on Monday (hopefully) and see what his thoughts are.

I'm in the UK. I don't know what the cause was, I just repeated the set up procedure the same as I always do: using a spirit level app and manually tuning the servo centre points with the belt and gear disengaged. It just seemed to work that time. Never had that problem before and I've used the skyline for aaaggggeees. However, the roll/pan movement when tilting straight down has always been an issue and hasn't really bothered me up until now.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated. I have confidence in the RSGS because up until now it's been lovely.

SMP

Still on 1.2.2 and getting closer; unfortunately developed this little hiccup. Tilt down is smooth, tilt up is smooth allll the way till the last little bit to almost level and then does 3-4 slow notchy jitters. No amount of reducing tilt/velocity gains will eliminate and only on the upswing at the very end.

Starting to think servo related?? And if so... any ideas on how to avoid that area?? (is this the servo bermuda deadband triangle??)

iceman

Still on 1.2.2 and getting closer; unfortunately developed this little hiccup. Tilt down is smooth, tilt up is smooth allll the way till the last little bit to almost level and then does 3-4 slow notchy jitters. No amount of reducing tilt/velocity gains will eliminate and only on the upswing at the very end.

Starting to think servo related?? And if so... any ideas on how to avoid that area?? (is this the servo bermuda deadband triangle??)

Sorry I don't have the answer but this is the problem I'm having also, are you using the AV200? there must be a fix as others seem to get great results, all I can say is that i'm running 1.17beta firmware and I din't have this problem when using the DJI WKM stabi, it was silky sooth with the WKM gimbal control but the general stabi wasnt as good as the Skyline. If only I could get rid of the jitters the Skline would be perfect as it holds the tilt and roll axis very well. ANY HELP? perhaps the new manual will shed some light but like you I have played with all the gains from one extreme to the other, at high tilt gains the jitters are worse but still there at lower gain.

Blacksails

Sorry I don't have the answer but this is the problem I'm having also, are you using the AV200? there must be a fix as others seem to get great results, all I can say is that i'm running 1.17beta firmware and I din't have this problem when using the DJI WKM stabi, it was silky sooth with the WKM gimbal control but the general stabi wasnt as good as the Skyline. If only I could get rid of the jitters the Skline would be perfect as it holds the tilt and roll axis very well. ANY HELP? perhaps the new manual will shed some light but like you I have played with all the gains from one extreme to the other, at high tilt gains the jitters are worse but still there at lower gain.

I had this problem with the Av200 for quite a while. Jittering when coming back to level on the tilt tray. Turned out being the screw that locks the tray to the tilt pulley (not the screw that it rotates on, the one below it) was too tight. Also the axle the single screw on the opposite side. When I loosened these off a bit the jittering vanished

SMP

I had this problem with the Av200 for quite a while. Jittering when coming back to level on the tilt tray. Turned out being the screw that locks the tray to the tilt pulley (not the screw that it rotates on, the one below it) was too tight. Also the axle the single screw on the opposite side. When I loosened these off a bit the jittering vanished

Yup AV200/360/1.2.2 - Wow... Ok that would be FANTASTIC if that resolves it, thanks Blacksail, can't wait to try this out!!

iceman

Thanks for your help, will give this a go

Blacksails

Yup AV200/360/1.2.2 - Wow... Ok that would be FANTASTIC if that resolves it, thanks Blacksail, can't wait to try this out!!

No problem. Cant guarantee it will fix it for you though. On mine it was pulling too tight and warping the pulley wheel causing it to rub on the tilt servo housing. Try the opposite screw too. If that's done up even the slightest bit too tight it bites on the plastic washer.

MikeH

I'm in the UK. I don't know what the cause was, I just repeated the set up procedure the same as I always do: using a spirit level app and manually tuning the servo centre points with the belt and gear disengaged. It just seemed to work that time. Never had that problem before and I've used the skyline for aaaggggeees. However, the roll/pan movement when tilting straight down has always been an issue and hasn't really bothered me up until now.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated. I have confidence in the RSGS because up until now it's been lovely.

Hi Blacksails

Well the word is that if the skyline is rolling when you are panning then the z level is off. try it in a few locations but what you can do is remove the skyline, and place it up against a surface that you know is at 90deg to a level surface, use the header as a guide to line up the skyline and set the Z level that way.
Roll and Pan have an effect on each other in the firmware programming hence the movement.

Hope this helps.

Mike