Photohigher skyline rsgs

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Did a lot of flying over the last three days using the RSGS on the AV130. I haven't changed the settings at all from the last flight video I posted but I seem to have gotten somewhat better results out in the field than I did testing at the house. It was very windy each day at the field but both the Cinestar/WKM and the RSGS performed quite well considering the conditions, GPS position hold was near flawless now that I've made some minor tweaks to the setup and the camera stability was certainly better than what could have been achieved using just the WKM gimbal stabilization. It isn't perfect with the RSGS but all of what I recorded is useable with some stabilization used where needed as compared to maybe 50% being useable with only flight controller gimbal stabilization. Some of the video is perfectly useable as-is and the odd thing is most of it is from conditions where it was the windiest, in calmer air the twitch on the roll axis is far more noticeable. Still getting that roll twitch but not as bad as it was in intial testing, maybe adding an adjustable deadband to the roll axis in the firmware might help eliminate false compensation caused by the gimbal swinging around on soft isolation mounts. I still plan to try this same setup with no setting changes on a different frame to see what difference taking the Cinestar ISO mounts out of the equation makes on the roll axis.

Here's a few clips from the weekend, unstabilized, just edited for length and then exported to Youtube. In the last clip you can clearly see the roll twitch when the camera is more or less level, downward platform angles mask the motion better with no clearly defined horizon...

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

pixvertex

finally i did a test fly.
It seams like it is now much better than version 1.6.
Though i must say there is bug if your move your kopter.... which happens quite often while flying ;)
if you tilt and roll and the kopter doesn't move everything behaves like you expect.

skyline rsgs 1.2.2 150 tilt gain and 600 roll gain.
When flying to left or right the horizon is no longer horizontal.
This only happens if the object moves. (not reaching the limit of the gimbal)

The horizon is correct when you roll and don't move.
It seams to be a bug to me.

Will add a video later. Still converting on vimeo.

Does anybody has the same problem ?
update:

finally i did a test fly.
It seams like it is now much better than version 1.6.
Though i must say there is bug if your move your kopter.... which happens quite often while flying ;)
if you tilt and roll and the kopter doesn't move everything behaves like you expect.

skyline rsgs 1.2.2 150 tilt gain and 600 roll gain.
When flying to left or right the horizon is no longer horizontal.
This only happens if the object moves. (not reaching the limit of the gimbal)

The horizon is correct when you roll and don't move.
It seams to be a bug to me.

Will add a video later. Still converting on vimeo.

Does anybody has the same problem ?
update:

Hard to tell without a second camera, but your roll doesn't appear to be working at all. Not like a bug, but like it isn't connected at all.

pixvertex

well that's the point. It works very well if you stand and shake the system. Like if you stand before a mirror . It works like we all expect. But at the moment you start to walk to the left or right. the horizon is no longer correct. the faster you move the more you can see it.

Tried to upload video showing me using the system on the ground. Works 100 percent. But when i walk or run to left or right the horizon is totally wrong on my av130.
sadly my computer doesn't work as expected right now. Will upload a video tomorrow.

Be assured the sytem works. But not if you fly fast to left or right. Perhaps there is a correction function for this. The av130 uses inverted directions for roll and tillt.
Perhaps the software assumes not be inverted.
Does somebody have the same problem with a AV200 when flying fast left or right ?

diaconescu

Does anyone know if the AV200 is everything ok? the AV200 does not manifest any bug? difference between them is the x axis positioning RSGS and I think that is 180 degrees different position, the software does not know the gyro it's axis x or -x ,is a universal software for both frames and no features on each of them according to directions. . maybe it's wrong what I think but I'm trying to find an explanation.

Hi,

Photohigher has confirmed me that the new harness are in production and will be replaced by your dealer free of charge (exchange vs you old harness). The dummy pot will be also distributed the same way.

I have no delvery delay for the moment.

Best regards,
Cédric

Does anybody have the Pan stabilization working right now?

Tom

I had it working on the bench on my second skyline. Now i am moving it to a flying machine but, even if it worked flawlessly, am still wonderig if i want to use the pan stab. I'll connect it and see if the advantages (one is pilot able to turn with rudder in flight and look forward using a secondd video downlink when flying FPV) counterbalance the disadvantages: figure out what can happen if in the rush we forget to disable the stab on landing, with the skyline trying to turn the frame and the FC trying to stop it...
If i am not missing something i can see that, from an operational point of view, it would be disabled most of the time anyway...

Yeah I know cedric, everything done already. ;)
modified the harness and also have the dummy pots on the roll and tilt servos. I'm just wondering if the Pan servo also needs to be modified and needs a dummy pot plugged when using Pan stabilisation? So far we didn't do anything to the Pan Servo ... just mounted it as it came out of the box.

Tom

pixvertex

This video is showing the move left or right effect.
As long as i stand still the horizon is levelled. Even when pushing hard on the roll axis. Just for test purpose i used a roll gain from about 900. Too much ;)

When moving left or right the horizon is wrong.

http://vimeo.com/49667340

rsc

I had it working on the bench on my second skyline. Now i am moving it to a flying machine but, even if it worked flawlessly, am still wonderig if i want to use the pan stab. I'll connect it and see if the advantages (one is pilot able to turn with rudder in flight and look forward using a secondd video downlink when flying FPV) counterbalance the disadvantages: figure out what can happen if in the rush we forget to disable the stab on landing, with the skyline trying to turn the frame and the FC trying to stop it...
If i am not missing something i can see that, from an operational point of view, it would be disabled most of the time anyway...

We have Pan stab working.. However we want the ability to turn the stab off for the same reasons. I have made the lead and can turn the pan off and/gimbal off. But is there a way just to turn the pan stab off so you can still operate the pan manually?

Firmware much better..

Regards
Rob

But is there a way just to turn the pan stab off so you can still operate the pan manually?

Firmware much better..

Regards
Rob

No, unluckily turning pan stab off sets to off also manual pan. Might be something interesting to implement in a future fw though: pan stab off but keeping control of the pan.

Trnquill

No, unluckily turning pan stab off sets to off also manual pan. Might be something interesting to implement in a future fw though: pan stab off but keeping control of the pan.
Definitely needed! Disabling the pan control all together makes little sense. Having manual control over pan has no ill effects, having automatic stabilization on pan has (on some occasions). Disabling the pan (manual + automatic) sounds an overkill solution to problem introduced by pan stabilization only.

vip

can someone send me a close up pic of the programming cable ( the end that goes into the skyline), I did not get one from the seller of my skyline.
is the cable proprietory or can I get one local at an RC shop? Your thoughts on that?
also it is not clear to where to plug it into the skyline for programming. seems it is the pan servo to program the skyline.

can I use a castle bec programming cable ?

ken@vipstudios.tv

Michael64

No you can not you will have to get the serial converter cable from Photohigher and also download the drivers for it as well.

Michael64

can someone send me a close up pic of the programming cable ( the end that goes into the skyline), I did not get one from the seller of my skyline.
is the cable proprietory or can I get one local at an RC shop? Your thoughts on that?
also it is not clear to where to plug it into the skyline for programming. seems it is the pan servo to program the skyline.

can I use a castle bec programming cable ?

ken@vipstudios.tv