Photohigher skyline rsgs

PondMedic

PondMedic
I glad someone has got a working one if I understand you right this is Zero jitter in the pitch of the gimbal and horizon is staying level. Also is this with a Photohigher mount or other mount. With the result I have with new firmware there is no real improvement unless I just have a defective Skyline. Post a video of the flight if you will.

Michael64

Michael64 - yes, zero jitter and flat horizons. I'm using a PH AV130 mount. In your case, I would make sure the skyline is taking the FW upgrade. You can tell by looking at the top of the firmware update tab page - it will tell you what's loaded on your skyline. I'll post the video of the first flight with 1.2.2 this evening when I get a chance. It's pretty impressive for the wind that is blowing strong today and no gain tuning. If the RSGS worked like that out of the box a few months ago, they would have sold many more!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have an RSGS mounted on my AV130 but not connected to anything at the moment. I bought this one from the initial production batch, got it all setup and ready to go, and on the first test flight the YS-X6 decided to flip the CS6 on take off breaking a couple props and tweaking the roll cradle on the AV130, that was probably 3 months ago at least. Since then the whole thing has been sitting on the bench with broken props and bent gimbal while I've been reading the ongoing saga of the firmware updates and nothing I've seen up till now has made me want to give it another go.

Recently I dusted the CS6 off and swapped the YS-X6 out for the Wookong-M that was previously on it, then did a few test and tune flights running the AV130 off the WKM stabilization with power provided by a CC BEC Pro. While I'm able to duplicate the great results I was getting from this setup last fall and into the spring I know it can be better. For a while I had a beta RSGS on it and while there were a few hiccups it seemed much better than the results I was getting without it. I sent it back to PH for updating and never saw it again, bought a production unit and never got to fly it.

So now with an important video job to do this weekend and the CS6 flying well and the AV130 working as well as it ever has without the RSGS I'm torn as to whether or not to do the cable mods and give the new firmware a shot. One part of my brain says go ahead, you can always put it back to where it is now, the other part says, it's working good right now, don't F**K with it until next week!

Having used the beta unit and knowing the improvement that could be made if this release works well I'm very tempted to go for it in the hope of getting some truly outstanding video. Decisions, decisions...

Ken

vip

I have an RSGS mounted on my AV130 but not connected to anything at the moment. I bought this one from the initial production batch, got it all setup and ready to go, and on the first test flight the YS-X6 decided to flip the CS6 on take off breaking a couple props and tweaking the roll cradle on the AV130, that was probably 3 months ago at least. Since then the whole thing has been sitting on the bench with broken props and bent gimbal while I've been reading the ongoing saga of the firmware updates and nothing I've seen up till now has made me want to give it another go.

Recently I dusted the CS6 off and swapped the YS-X6 out for the Wookong-M that was previously on it, then did a few test and tune flights running the AV130 off the WKM stabilization with power provided by a CC BEC Pro. While I'm able to duplicate the great results I was getting from this setup last fall and into the spring I know it can be better. For a while I had a beta RSGS on it and while there were a few hiccups it seemed much better than the results I was getting without it. I sent it back to PH for updating and never saw it again, bought a production unit and never got to fly it.

So now with an important video job to do this weekend and the CS6 flying well and the AV130 working as well as it ever has without the RSGS I'm torn as to whether or not to do the cable mods and give the new firmware a shot. One part of my brain says go ahead, you can always put it back to where it is now, the other part says, it's working good right now, don't F**K with it until next week!

Having used the beta unit and knowing the improvement that could be made if this release works well I'm very tempted to go for it in the hope of getting some truly outstanding video. Decisions, decisions...

Ken

My 2 cents, do not fix it if it is not broken.. especially on a paying job.. non aerial but I learned that lesson long ago on shoots. do it AFTER the job.

where can we get the dumy pots

I just got back from Radio Shack. I picked up some 2.2k-Ohm Resistors 1/4 watt 5% Tolerance. Those should do the trick. I will be working on this new set up today, to try and dial in a gimbal for the Epic. Ill post info here If I get it working to my standards.

My 2 cents, do not fix it if it is not broken.. especially on a paying job.. non aerial but I learned that lesson long ago on shoots. do it AFTER the job.

I totally hear you bud, My MK Stabalization is working fine right now. Do I rip the pots off the AV200, and go for the new firmware skyline install etc etc. Grrrrrrrrrr, ohhhh what to do what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Which camera do you use, PondMedic? Maybe it's relevant how good you could level your camera in the AV130.
My problem is that I have to put the tray in the lowest position to be able to operate the CX730 and then when I tilt it the camera is front heavy, the tilt servo has to fight against it and it jitters.

I tried to put a capacitor in front of the tilt servo, without success...

View attachment 6231

I also use a felt washer.
And I use 1.2.2 with the new cable connections and the dummy pots.

So... does anyone have a working skyline with AV130&CX730 which is jitter free at any tilt angles?

Attachments

• Foto.JPG
    Foto.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 275

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors

My brain reached a compromise, I'll take the RSGS off the AV130 on the Cinestar and put it on the old AV130 backup gimbal on the Droidworx AD6, if it can make that old warhorse stabilize well then it's a winner! ;)

Ken

PondMedic

Which camera do you use, PondMedic? Maybe it's relevant how good you could level your camera in the AV130.
My problem is that I have to put the tray in the lowest position to be able to operate the CX730 and then when I tilt it the camera is front heavy, the tilt servo has to fight against it and it jitters.

I tried to put a capacitor in front of the tilt servo, without success...

View attachment 8207

I also use a felt washer.
And I use 1.2.2 with the new cable connections and the dummy pots.

So... does anyone have a working skyline with AV130&CX730 which is jitter free at any tilt angles?

For my initial test and no gain tuning yet, I was limited on time and threw a GoPro2 on the gimbal. I'm going to try my Sony NEX7 and Canon DSLR on it next and see what kind of RSGS performance I get. I also have the tray in the lowest position. I think gimbal performance has much to do with camera balance. Same principal applies when balancing a copter, too. The more balanced everything is, the less the machine has to work to keep it in balance.

swalas

I will only use 2 axis, roll and tilt.
Im going to control the tilt whit my regular TX and not an extra, I dont want to be able to control the roll.
So Im wondering if I can use this setup (making a new loom) ?
Removed the white (signal) on pan servo, if I use that for power I dont need the white one.
Removed the red on tilt input so I dont get power fedback from the RX.
Or should I power the Skyline whit roll input (whit white removed) ? I dont like this idea because of the use of female connectors on the inputs.
View attachment 6232

Attachments

• skyline1.jpg
    skyline1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 276

Hello Chris,
now everything is working! I made two things, can't say which one was the one that solved, anyway: i downloaded the very last release again (i had a 2.2 sw whilst now online is 2.4) and then just went all around with the endpoints until i found the places where the skyline did what i wanted it to do. The tricky thing was that, maybe due to some delay inserted in the sw or anything, once you get to the point of the control that disables pan or everything (i am using a 3 position switch) it doesn't disables it straight away but after a slight delay. That can lead to overshooting the correct values, and having the skyline disabling and re- enabling the compensation. In one word: go slow whilst looking for the right endpoint or center. My values are:
65% pan disable
0 all ON
-82% disable everything

Did you switched on the skyline with the pan input already connected to the relative rx channel? If it doesn't see a valid rx signal at startup (like when you switch on with pan input connected to the pc) it will not consider it until switched off and on again. Mine did work from the start...

P.S.: The aux channel is connected to pin 9, sorry i forgot to sketch it in my diagram

@claudio I cannot disable pan or any other axis either. neither can I control the pan from the rx. If you find out how to do it let me know. I am inputting the aux signal as per your diagram. Everything else is fine...

Swalas,
from what i see you're not supplying the skyline, you need a positive either from tilt or roll input connected to either pins 1,3 or 4 of the skyline as the positive from the pan input is not going to supply the skyline.
The idea is almost the same i had and realized, the only difference is that i went a little farer and did not connect positive and negative for pan and roll servos to the skyline, actually the only servo that gets the supply through the skyline is the tilt one. In the end it's the only servo that moves with the gimbal arc and skyline.
Roll and pan instead get positive and negative directly from the rx and only the signal cables aare connected to the skyline (less cables moving)...
C

swalas

Swalas,
from what i see you're not supplying the skyline, you need a positive either from tilt or roll input connected to either pins 1,3 or 4 of the skyline as the positive from the pan input is not going to supply the skyline.
The idea is almost the same i had and realized, the only difference is that i went a little farer and did not connect positive and negative for pan and roll servos to the skyline, actually the only servo that gets the supply through the skyline is the tilt one. In the end it's the only servo that moves with the gimbal arc and skyline.
Roll and pan instead get positive and negative directly from the rx and only the signal cables aare connected to the skyline (less cables moving)...
C

So they removed the power from Pan servo? they had that in 1.1.6, so I can remove the pan servo cables and adding roll input(without white) to power the skyline?

So they removed the power from Pan servo? they had that in 1.1.6, so I can remove the pan servo cables and adding roll input (without red) to power the skyline?

Hold on, hold on. We'll have that wiring diagram in an hour or so. Don't break anything trying.

Also, don't use any FW other than what's on the website with the new wiring changes. If you make the wiring changes and then try fW1.1.6 (lets say), the Skyline will exhibit some very creative (yet unpleasant) behaviour.

swalas

I was planing on using the new FW, but I just thought that the skyline still got power from the pan servo, I can easily add the roll input and get power from that if that is preferred, BUT when using a power source not connected to the flight controls(witch is recommended), the power source uses female connectors not male that is required whit the roll input cable, that is electrics 1o1..