new to multi copers and looking to learn

whakahere

Hi there everyone.

Last summer season I built a tricopter but never really got it off the ground. So with summer coming I am looking to give it another try. I hope everyone will be willing to help me out.

Tahoe Ed

Welcome whakahere. What would you like to do with your multi rotor? Do you have any RC equipment currently, transmitter, receiver, batteries, charger, etc. Do you have any other RC experience other than the tricopter build? What controller were you trying to use and why weren't you able to get it off the ground. Sorry for all the questions but to point you in the right direction, one needs a little more information.

whakahere

Welcome whakahere. What would you like to do with your multi rotor? Do you have any RC equipment currently, transmitter, receiver, batteries, charger, etc. Do you have any other RC experience other than the tricopter build? What controller were you trying to use and why weren't you able to get it off the ground. Sorry for all the questions but to point you in the right direction, one needs a little more information.

haha fair enough as I ask people new on other forums the same thing. RC gear, for the tricopter I was using spectrum dx6i but I have other gear as well. I did get it off the ground but there was little in the way being close to stable flight. I made it too heavy, which I seem to do a lot, so I am now rewiring it.

My experience is mainly fixed wing planes and pretty much in the last 2 years I have been generally flying FPV. I have owned a blade msr and some other little helis but I haven't been flying them for a while. I have a few planes, many scratch build but some I store brought planes. I run 5.8ghz 200mw and have pushed it out to 8km but generally going high and looking around becomes a tad boring. My favourite flying style is close-in, low and around objects hence i'm looking at multicopters. I use a futaba 9C for all of my FPV flying.

I build all my own antennas and have ways of checking there swr. I generally try to find ways of modding/designing new things that I come across as to me that is part of the hobby. In saying this I am only a primary school teacher so most of my knowledge has come from what I have read, been told and experienced in the last few years. I knowledge of multicopters currently is lacking in mosts directions :D

Here are some pictures of planes I am flying currently (I have more) and my tricopter. Right now I am in the stage of removing weight around the frame that isn't needed.

Attachments

• DSCF0072.jpg
    DSCF0072.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCF1080.jpg
    DSCF1080.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 234

Tahoe Ed

To get your feet wet and have something that will work out of the box, I would start with a DJI F450 Naza ARF. It works well for FPV, is durable and very stable but capable of sport flight in manual mode. There are cheaper options and most of us have tried them. Most are setting in a box or sold to someone else. Just my two cents. Nice looking planks. I still have two that are setting in a loft and have not been flown since I discovered multi rotors. Good luck hope to see what you decide to build post soon.

Lifter

Hi there everyone.

Last summer season I built a tricopter but never really got it off the ground. So with summer coming I am looking to give it another try. I hope everyone will be willing to help me out.

Can't be two of you - got to be one and the same - Kiwi in Germany - Welcome to MRF...

"Originally Posted by whakahere
I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ..... guess it is an addiction."

Luv it

Last edited by a moderator:

whakahere

Can't be two of you - got to be one and the same - Kiwi in Germany - Welcome to MRF...

"Originally Posted by whakahere
I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ...
guess it is an addiction."

Luv it

yup that is me, Kiwi in Germany. Well I live by that little saying and what better way to feed that addiction than fly multicopers. I see you go by a different name here.

Update on what I am doing and where I need some advice.
- Current I have version 1 HK KK board on my tri. I have 1.5 firmware on it as 1.7 seem to make it impossible to fly, not say 1.5 makes it possible. I did put hotglue over the gyros. What that have an effect? I have a nase32 on the way and I am planning on connecting it up through bluetooth so I can tweak to my hearts content. I am a little worried as I have no idea how to set this up yet.
- How do you unsolder the cables going from esc to the motor? I put my soldering iron up to 450 degrees and had real problems unsoldering the wire. Any hints?

Lifter

yup that is me, Kiwi in Germany. Well I live by that little saying and what better way to feed that addiction than fly multicopers. I see you go by a different name here.

Update on what I am doing and where I need some advice.
- Current I have version 1 HK KK board on my tri. I have 1.5 firmware on it as 1.7 seem to make it impossible to fly, not say 1.5 makes it possible. I did put hotglue over the gyros. What that have an effect? I have a nase32 on the way and I am planning on connecting it up through bluetooth so I can tweak to my hearts content. I am a little worried as I have no idea how to set this up yet.
- How do you unsolder the cables going from esc to the motor? I put my soldering iron up to 450 degrees and had real problems unsoldering the wire. Any hints?

I see you go by a different name here.

Nope - same name here , Same there, Soldering = I hate it, always had trouble with doing the deans thing and that's at 450c also, so got a 1/4" blade, 60w Weller, that took care of it, in and out quick.
And the helping hands el cheapo things don't really help!!
Cant help with the HK KK board so perhaps someone else on here has the answers for you...
Cheers