DJI Zenmuse gimbal and S800 Spreading Wings preorder

Zenmuse 3-axis gimbal $3,470= too much money! who and what are you targeting? professionals? well there only a handfull of those! drop it down and get the wannabe's and the fpv'ers.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
They are making a 2 axis version targeted at hobbyists. You may want to look further into the professional market, its a lot larger than you think.

Tahoe Ed

http://photoshipone.com/06/djis800-c...esc-connector/

h
ope thats actually the explanation for the reported crashed we see in RCgroups

Here is what mine looks like. The solder joint is a little gray vs shiny silver. I know it is non-lead solder so some of that is expected. All my pins are solid. This was one of the first in the US so maybe the QC was better on the earlier models. When I have the time, I will replace the red connector. I have some 90 degree 3 pin connectors that will work better anyway. Got them for an ArduCopter IMU. Sparkfun still has them in stock. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10095

View attachment 4927

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 225

DennyR

I would say that mine looks a little more evenly soldered than T Ed's, the continuity is also OK. One thing less to check out. I'll be running the throttle snap-open test next. Then rpm against current draw across all six. Time/temps etc. Finally I-phone vibration test. If it all seems OK I will put it in the air. Some of the settings that people are using seem to be very high on the Gains, I think I will start off a little more conservative as too high may cause temp rise.

ChrisViperM

Hi,
I am very interested in buying one of these S800 and here I was thinking about this problem of heating of the ESC's and vibrations of the engines. Everything must be connected.
With the heating of ESC's the supporting arm of the motor is more moleavel and causes vibration to occur are possible.

A solution that I liked that you guys try out to see if improved cooling would put metal washers in all ESC's cover, making a current of air and dissipating the heat that builds up there.
Like This:
View attachment 6618

If someone is willing to try to tell because I'm from Portugal and the climate here is very hot today is 35 º C.

I just got some alu spacers made in my workshop and fitted them....I can only test them after the weekend to see if there is any dropping in heat. This is the strangest ESC-desighn I have ever seen....the whole surface of the ESC is covered with something like silikone. There is so little space inside the motor/ESC housing and no way where the heat can escape. I guess while the S800 is in motion some "fresh" air can get into the housing through the top of the motor mount, while at hoovering the heat gets trapped...I am not an engeneer and airflow expert....just my 2 cents.

The spacers are 2 mm thick...if they are thicker you could not use the original screws anymore.

Pic's are not top quality...only have my mobile with me.

View attachment 4928 View attachment 4929View attachment 4930

Attachments

• IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 316
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 368

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah i guess the sikilone stuff is there to get the thing waterproof. If thats really the correct approach is questionable. I would prefer it if the ESCs/FETS to be able to give of some heat instead of being waterproof. Don't want to fly a setup like that during rain or even the chance of rain anyways.

Boris

fsimao222

I just got some alu spacers made in my workshop and fitted them....I can only test them after the weekend to see if there is any dropping in heat. This is the strangest ESC-desighn I have ever seen....the whole surface of the ESC is covered with something like silikone. There is so little space inside the motor/ESC housing and no way where the heat can escape. I guess while the S800 is in motion some "fresh" air can get into the housing through the top of the motor mount, while at hoovering the heat gets trapped...I am not an engeneer and airflow expert....just my 2 cents.

The spacers are 2 mm thick...if they are thicker you could not use the original screws anymore.

Pic's are not top quality...only have my mobile with me.

View attachment 6629 View attachment 6630View attachment 6631

Hi
Thanks for try out my tip.
Surely the temperature will decrease, because the warm air will accumulate and is not renewed, the air heats up more time.
With these spacers, the air can now be renewed.

In the upper screws up you can not put the spacers also?
It would make more efficient air exchange.

Then put the findings here.
It would be good to use a digital thermometer to be more conclusive results.

fsimao222

Yeah i guess the sikilone stuff is there to get the thing waterproof. If thats really the correct approach is questionable. I would prefer it if the ESCs/FETS to be able to give of some heat instead of being waterproof. Don't want to fly a setup like that during rain or even the chance of rain anyways.

Boris

even if the ESC's are waterproof, the engines are not, so it is never to walk to rain

Topper

ope thats actually the explanation for the reported crashed we see in RCgroups

I have checked my one this morning, 2 loose Pins are easy removable... I have not aired my S800 jet (waiting for PPM FW and battery tray) so the finding came just in time, THX to TJ. A pitty that I missed to meet you personal @ the workshop Boris I had some reasons to stay away that time.

ChrisViperM

I had a look to mount the spacers between the the housing and the motormount....but on one side of the motormount is a thin plate to give the motor a little tilt to one direction to compenste for the momentum. Together with the spacer all together that would be to thick to use the original screw. Normally I would just take a longer screw, but the original screw is a bit bigger right at the top....so the motor mount would not line up perfectly. The other reason not to do it on the motor mount position is that there is air getting in anyway.
Concerning wet conditions...I am not too much scared about this, since rain is not a good idea anyway, and I would imagine that first the WooKong, the receiver or some other electrical component would be affected.

Maybe in this case the silicon coating was not that bad at all.....I guess the DJI "engineers" knew already that we come up with something like this to fight the heat and just wanted to "help" us a little bit....???

Chris

ChrisViperM

An other option I see is something like this(only the heat sink):

View attachment 4934

I would make it only app. 5~7 mm high and match it exactly to the shape of the ESC and have it rounded at the edges (transport, and risk of scratching your hands while fiddling on the rig). Also the LED's have to be looked at....and weight.
Let's see what others have to say...

Chris

Attachments

• AE-2-ESC-lores.jpg
    AE-2-ESC-lores.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 251

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I have all may gear in Salzburg at the moment only the CS8 standing here but without my Radio, so this weekend I won't be there. But next Sunday if the meet is going on i will be there again with the s800 and the CS8.

Would be cool to meet you there !

Boris

DennyR

I had a look to mount the spacers between the the housing and the motormount....but on one side of the motormount is a thin plate to give the motor a little tilt to one direction to compenste for the momentum. Together with the spacer all together that would be to thick to use the original screw. Normally I would just take a longer screw, but the original screw is a bit bigger right at the top....so the motor mount would not line up perfectly. The other reason not to do it on the motor mount position is that there is air getting in anyway.
Concerning wet conditions...I am not too much scared about this, since rain is not a good idea anyway, and I would imagine that first the WooKong, the receiver or some other electrical component would be affected.

Maybe in this case the silicon coating was not that bad at all.....I guess the DJI "engineers" knew already that we come up with something like this to fight the heat and just wanted to "help" us a little bit....???

Chris

That tilt is for tightening up the yaw deadband

jes1111

Re: the ESC heat issue - silicone is actually a good conductor of heat, so as long as air can circulate (the spacers sound like a good idea) then it might actually help dissipate the heat.

ChrisViperM

Re: the ESC heat issue - silicone is actually a good conductor of heat, so as long as air can circulate (the spacers sound like a good idea) then it might actually help dissipate the heat.

I didn't know that...slowly there is step by step usable information coming in.

But at this point I think it's about time to open a dedicateted "S800 experience" thread....