DJI Zenmuse gimbal and S800 Spreading Wings preorder

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
also no answer in RCgroups were there are a couple vendors around. I guess the question is being avoided at the moment.

Boris

JDM66

Hi

first "Rendez Vous" of 2 S800 in France

you can easily see the vibrations of the engine mount

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/p9z2kDtBvac[/video]

the Ecs reached 70 ° C. After 10 min

after this meeting and all problems of this bird, my colleague decided to sell its S800

I risk do the same ...

jdm66

srbell

That's some pretty bad vibration! Were the props balanced? Motors? I know DJI says they're balanced, but every prop (from small pylon to monster 40% 28" carbon's), factory balanced is BS lol! Never seen a factory balanced prop that was actually balanced : )

Digitech

thats not a vibration , that is a HUGE rolling shutter problem and wobble video .
nothing wrong , unless your tubes are also made of rubber
anyway if you want to sell it we got a huge demand for them :livid:

Digitech

well boris i can only tell you that we have a s800 here i have flown :

2 x 8000mah 6S
1 x 8000 6S
1 x 11000 6S
1 x 11000 5S

with Z15 and without it.

never had a issue with overtemping.

1: make sure your aircraft is well balanced
2: no overweight on battery,s more mah does not mean longer flight times.
if you double the capacity , it means you double the weight , and only get 30% more flight time.

srbell

How did the 2X8000mah work out? I just picked up 4 8ah Nanotech packs. Figure how can you lose at $100 a pop.

2 x 8000mah 6S
1 x 8000 6S
1 x 11000 6S
1 x 11000 5S

with Z15 and without it.

if you double the capacity , it means you double the weight , and only get 30% more flight time.

DennyR

I have been studying the Zenmouse and it is an incredibly well made device, everything is made from aircraft grade CNC machined alum. hard anodized. it is precision made in every aspect. It is a dedicated package for a specific type of camera so that the user is steered into a foolproof set-up to keep camera external controls within a finely tuned balanced system. This is the way that high end mil. spec. stuff operates. Clearly the DJI approach is aimed at further camera options for cinematic production with larger mounts based on the same technology. They have the seemingly endless resources to become the only solution for serious pros. I honestly doubt that such a system could be produced for that kind of money outside of China.:tennis: They will go from strength to strength IMHO.

Next week I will shoot for the UN along the Buffer Zone borders. With the Zenmouse inside a fullsize heli. Could be another application for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM66

Attachments

• 206687TEMPERATURES800.jpg
    206687TEMPERATURES800.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 222

Digitech

to much weight , you gain only about 30 more flight time
the rest is overheating and dead weight.
believe me we do aerial professional filming and advising.
any director finds 9-10 minutes MORE then impressing and is enough to do 1-3 takes.
and if 9 minutes is not enough to make a picture , maybe one should give up photography..
i mean wars are won in less that time :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I have been studying the Zenmouse and it is an incredibly well made device, everything is made from aircraft grade CNC machined alum. hard anodized. it is precision made in every aspect. It is a dedicated package for a specific type of camera so that the user is steered into a foolproof set-up to keep camera external controls within a finely tuned balanced system. This is the way that high end mil. spec. stuff operates. Clearly the DJI approach is aimed at further camera options for cinematic production with larger mounts based on the same technology. They have the seemingly endless resources to become the only solution for serious pros. I honestly doubt that such a system could be produced for that kind of money outside of China.:tennis: They will go from strength to strength IMHO.

Next week I will shoot for the UN along the Buffer Zone borders. With the Zenmouse inside a fullsize heli. Could be another application for this.

so aluminum is ok again? glad to hear it.

jes1111

They have the seemingly endless resources to become the only solution for serious pros.
I think that's stretching it a bit. They are to be congratulated for moving away from the "flat-pack furniture" design approach, for sure. But they are a long way from getting my money (as a pro photographer) - the company and the product fail to measure up on so many levels. The existence of professional dealers (like Digitech) goes some way towards mitigating the shortfall but there's still a big gap IMO.
I honestly doubt that such a system could be produced for that kind of money outside of China.
Not so, for sure. China's volume manufacturing advantage is more or less negated when the product is a low-volume item with extensive reliance on CNC rather than hand labour. I believe the Zenmuse could be manufactured anyway in the world and sold at that price.
They will go from strength to strength IMHO.
... in spite of their own efforts to sabotage themselves at every step ;-)

fsimao222

Hi,
I am very interested in buying one of these S800 and here I was thinking about this problem of heating of the ESC's and vibrations of the engines. Everything must be connected.
With the heating of ESC's the supporting arm of the motor is more moleavel and causes vibration to occur are possible.

A solution that I liked that you guys try out to see if improved cooling would put metal washers in all ESC's cover, making a current of air and dissipating the heat that builds up there.
Like This:
View attachment 4918

If someone is willing to try to tell because I'm from Portugal and the climate here is very hot today is 35 º C.

Hi

first "Rendez Vous" of 2 S800 in France

you can easily see the vibrations of the engine mount

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/p9z2kDtBvac[/video]

the Ecs reached 70 ° C. After 10 min

after this meeting and all problems of this bird, my colleague decided to sell its S800

I risk do the same ...

jdm66

Attachments

• S800_ESC cópia.jpg
    S800_ESC cópia.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 694

DennyR

so aluminum is ok again? glad to hear it.

If you can find a way to make those kind of intricate parts another way do tell us. Most of that material ends up as swarf. It has properly designed structural rigidity and no bearing play due to one thing - accuracy. It is a far cry from all of the other stuff out there that I have seen. The drive system also utilizes some technology derived from military spec gyro balls.

@ jes I would rather have a dedicated gimbal that works properly than something that fits any camera and has the all of usual faults. It you had a half million dollar Cineflex it would also come with a dedicated camera system, it is impossible to do it at that standard any other way.

@ Sandor They don't have one in Cyp. and I no longer have Cineflex/AS350 at my disposal. This will be a test to see if I can still generate the required stability with a massive cost saving. The route is far too long for a UAV op.

srbell

9-10min on an 8ah pack? That sounds awesome! You're absolutely right, that's more than enough time. Flight time always seems longer than it really is. 20min would seem like an eternity. Good to know, thanks!

to much weight , you gain only about 30 more flight time
the rest is overheating and dead weight.
believe me we do aerial professional filming and advising.
any director finds 9-10 minutes MORE then impressing and is enough to do 1-3 takes.
and if 9 minutes is not enough to make a picture , maybe one should give up photography..
i mean wars are won in less that time :)

DennyR

I think that's stretching it a bit. They are to be congratulated for moving away from the "flat-pack furniture" design approach, for sure. But they are a long way from getting my money (as a pro photographer) - the company and the product fail to measure up on so many levels. The existence of professional dealers (like Digitech) goes some way towards mitigating the shortfall but there's still a big gap IMO.

Not so, for sure. China's volume manufacturing advantage is more or less negated when the product is a low-volume item with extensive reliance on CNC rather than hand labour. I believe the Zenmuse could be manufactured anyway in the world and sold at that price.

... in spite of their own efforts to sabotage themselves at every step ;-)

Jes, it's always good to hear your constructive comments, however, If all you want to do is take a few stills, then why do you need any camera movements. There are other ways to do that very successfully. In fact you can even make a reasonable video with a fixed camera.

Any chance of seeing your aerial pro photography? I am not trying to challenge your ability, I was just interested to see where you're coming from..

jes1111

Jes, it's always good to hear your constructive comments, however, If all you want to do is take a few stills, then why do you need any camera movements. There are other ways to do that very successfully. In fact you can even make a reasonable video with a fixed camera.
I understand what you're saying, Denny, but what if one has one's sights set a bit higher than "a few stills" and "reasonable video"?

Any chance of seeing your aerial pro photography? I am not trying to challenge your ability, I was just interested to see where you're coming from..
Not yet :)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

2 x 8000mah 6S
1 x 8000 6S
1 x 11000 6S
1 x 11000 5S

with Z15 and without it.

HI Sandor,

you misunderstood my comment before. I wasn't talking about the issue of overheating ESCs and no comments from DJI or Vendors. But i was taking about the lack of a available can-bus wenn you setup WKN with Zenmuse and a 2.4 ghz Data link. With a 900 mhz it works since the data link has a second can-bus the 2.4 ghz dosent.

Concerning the overheating i don't have the issue if i had extra weight to the bird. If i fly it only with a 8000 mah 6s the temps on the ESCs reach pain level.

Thanks

Boris

Digitech

none taken :)

any way a can bus you can easely duplicate and make your own Vcable.
i will look up the connector i believe Farnell has them.
i am sure DJI will come with one very soon..