colin guinn booted from DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboy

JazzBoy..... please clarify as to which two Canadian dealers you are talking about.
If they are using DiJang North America as their supplier they would be affected regardless.
Otherwise..... IMHO - as stated previously, US courts, both state and federal cannot legally control other activities in countries unless it falls under a condition within a "free trade agreement etc."

They are listed in this massive tome.

www.multirotorforums.com/miscfiles/DJI injunction.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

Interesting reading. I wonder what DJI found when they did their due diligence around the purchase of Guinn's interest. They wanted him to pay them $207,000 but it does not say for what only that DJI was doing it because it was what they felt was right in their heart. Really? More to come when DJI gets their day in court.

jazzboy

Facts! Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks for posting this.
And after reading that massive document I still feel that ShamWow Boy still screwed his 31 dealers the worst. Even if he is correct in the allegations, throwing the people that made you under the bus is the lowest form of pond scum. He could have garnered boatloads of support by explaining his case and choosing a less destructive path. This is classic case of it's all about me, me , me. If he gets the settlement will he spread the wealth with all the fired employees?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Thanks JazzBoy,
In summary the injuction lists DJI-NA Canadian sellers/distributors as:
Canada Drones
Hobby Hobby
Infinite Jib (do not show DJI products on their web site)
Rope Access Maintenance!!!

Exempt, i.e., receiving DJI products from other sources are:
RCHeliCanada - Manitoba
MultirotorHeli - Alberta
Bradatech - Ontario
this list is likely incomplete...

jazzboy

Thanks JazzBoy,
In summary the injuction lists DJI-NA Canadian sellers/distributors as:
Canada Drones
Hobby Hobby
Infinite Jib (do not show DJI products on their web site)
Rope Access Maintenance!!!

Exempt, i.e., receiving DJI products from other sources are:
RCHeliCanada - Manitoba
MultirotorHeli - Alberta
Bradatech - Ontario
this list is likely incomplete...

Norburn RC, Vancouver BC and SN Hobbies, New Westminster, BC both should be fine as they deal with Empire.

Fleabane

Maybe I'm not reading the injunction correctly, but did Guinn have any choice in what he did, it would appear DJI behaved appallingly and would seem to have accessed money, customers and media under the tenure of Guinn without his consent. If he is successful, those listed in the injunction will also have a gateway to loss of revenue claims - wouldn't they??

As I say I'm no expert and very new to DJI, so not aware of past history etc - can someone explain why Guinn is the bad guy when in my (very naive) eyes he seems to have followed the only course of action available against such a large corporate body

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hi Fleabane, welcome to the site. it would appear that what you're saying is a fair point judging from the text of the injunction we've read. from where we're sitting it's hard to say what the whole story is, whether Colin instigated some form of reprisals from DJI or if it's just a matter of DJI trying to capitalize on Colin's hard work without compensating him.

having spent time trying to get a shop open (unsuccessfully) I can tell you guys it's a huge amount of hard work and late nights. Those 31 people that have had their accounts closed have got to be really really pissed off whether it's at DJI or Colin Guinn or both. Colin must have had legal representation guiding him as to what to do so who wouldn't guess that he was advised that that was the best course of action?

It's so hard to resist the urge to draw conclusions from this but I think it's safe to say that neither will come out of it without some real damage having been done to their reputations, at least from where I sit it appears that way.

Burntpixel

hi Fleabane, welcome to the site. it would appear that what you're saying is a fair point judging from the text of the injunction we've read. from where we're sitting it's hard to say what the whole story is, whether COlin instigated some for of reprisals from DJI or if it's just a matter of DJI trying to capitalize on Colin's hard work without compensating him.

having spent time trying to get a shop open (unsuccessfully) I can tell you guys it's a huge amount of hard work and late nights. Those 31 people that have had their accounts closed have got to be really really pissed off whether it's at DJI or Colin Guinn or both. Colin must have had legal representation guiding him as to what to do so who wouldn't guess that he was advised that that was the best course of action?

It's so hard to resist the urge to draw conclusions from this but I think it's safe to say that neither will come out of it without some real damage having been done to their reputations, at least from where I sit it appears that way.
Those 31 shops are still open and are selling all DJI product,s. Nothing has changed in that regard!

Bartman

Those 31 shops are still open and are selling all DJI product,s. Nothing has changed in that regard!

As I understand it they're selling what they already have in stock and can't get new deliveries until after this has run its course. No?

Burntpixel

As I understand it they're selling what they already have in stock and can't get new deliveries until after this has run its course. No?
I would beg to differ. Several of those vendors are now running banners stating they are doing business as usual and that the DJI product line is available and will continue to be. Those vendors can keep their supply lines open by ordering through other DJI distributors. Here is but one example.

www.dslrpros.com

DSLRPros Phantom supply will not be impacted

gtranquilla

RadioActive
FliteLab et al...
There are still many retail Hobby Shops across North America (far too many to list here) that use EmpireRC as their primary hobby product supplier for both domestic and foreign products and a high percentage sell some or most of the DJI products now.

Business as usual for me as well flitelab.com
Deal through Empire as well.

Bartman

I would beg to differ. Several of those vendors are now running banners stating they are doing business as usual and that the DJI product line is available and will continue to be. Those vendors can keep their supply lines open by ordering through other DJI distributors. Here is but one example.

www.dslrpros.com

It's not implausible, what you're saying. Colin could protest and send cease and desist letters i guess but i'm not a lawyer. if they're selling dji products then so be it, right?

Fleabane

Bartman and all, thanks for your replies, quite a pickle and I hope the small traders affected do cope given the suffocating circumstances.

Bartman

it's interesting, and having been watching this, the points made are mostly common sense (like the fact that the offices were pretty extravagant given that there was still a huge shortage of customer service) but some of it is unverfiable (like he was giving his friends stuff and not being compensated).

Colin was a game show contestant and, before that, a cell phone salesman. Does anyone know what else he might have done to command such responsibility from DJI?

Status
Not open for further replies.