colin guinn booted from DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe Ed

DHI's new North American Service and Support Center is up an running in LA. It is not fully staffed yet but it will be soon. Having service here in the US is huge for DJI. Having to send product back to China was not acceptable to most users. DJI has brought its best support staff to the US to train the staff here. Bart, I agree with you that a strong manager here is very important and while I enjoyed many of Colin's videos he did not appear to be that person. We will see who they chose to be the next leader here in NA.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Colin Guinn seemed to be around in the very early days of DJI when they were more centered around SR heli dev. I think his contribution to the hobby has been good as he was no stranger in front of the camera and his videos were great for the newcomers to the hobby. I think his snorting side kick with the tatoos did not cut the mustard. Perhaps I'm just getting too old for this type of image. The new DJI European HQ did an excellent job for me when I sent one of my gimbals back for service work. I think DJI are moving in the right direction now. One should not forget the complexity of what they have created. If you look back at the historical record of other manufacturers such as MK, APM. Hoverfly, X Aircraft, Virtual Robotix and most of the others out there, they have all had issues with code. We don't hear too much belly ache over those, which have had in some cases far bigger issues than DJI. It is the world we live in and DJI simply expanded too quickly. Even today a totally trouble free system only exists in the simple boards that don't try to be too clever. Such as TC's FunFly Naze32.

In the modeling world we are always going to be a sucker when we buy something that needs to be put together with other components as it absolves the manufacturer of any liability. In most cases when you put a soldering iron on it the warranty is gone. Selling something like the Phantom was a brave move.

An example of really bad customer relations and a totally inept company has to be those lame Kiwi idiots down at Kimberly Attwells place. They never did get that **** to work or compensate anyone.

cootertwo

Did anybody see the last video he made, with the deaf guy? Trying to explain what they "think" is causing "fly aways". I can't find it anywhere now. He might have left the door open for law suits etc. etc. Wonder if they pulled the video, when they pulled him?

DennyR

It is an admission that they have a problem which is not in keeping with the usual policy unless they have a solution at hand.......

cootertwo

It was interesting. This deaf guy has a video of his fly away, and later recovery. Then the guy tracks Colin down, and Colin makes this video with the deaf guy, explaining the "new" update, and how it is supposed to help with the problems, etc. etc. I thought I saved it, or book marked it, but can't find it anywhere now ???

W. Reimer

There will be as many people who liked Colin as who dispised him. He was a marketing guy, not CEO material.
He was a highly efficient "talking head for DJI in the Western world, and he was VERY good at it.

Single handedly, he talked tens of thousands of people to make "wow factor" purchases, to his great credit. Now, DJI needs a businessman to further those sale targets, manage and grow the business and improve customer service. If they can pull that off, they'll continue to add to their already sizeable market share..

I got into multis 3 years ago with a Gaui 500X; state of the art at the time. Comparing it to any DJI product today...it's almost primitive. DJI has brought some pretty amazing tech to us in a very short amount of time. I'm excited to see what they'll have for us in 2014, with a new CEO

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
I am new to this hobby (10 months) and have many DJI products, Colin Guin 'sold' me the Phantom. The Phantom flew away, my other Naza and WKM machines have had mystery incidents and at no time did my official supplier indicate that DJI would be of any assistance whatsoever. Emails were mostly ignored or replied to with answers that bore no relevance to the problem of the time. Looking at the horror stories on the web I cannot fathom out why customer service is not an integral part of DJI's business. Leaving dealers to pick up the tab without sufficient back up from DJI is criminal and still we buy the bleeding edge products. So DJI are clever after all.

jazzboy

Hope that ShamWow snaps him up. These are serious craft we fly with serious consequences and we don't need a huckster trying to sell us snake oil. DJI has brilliant engineers in China and now need a respectable and accountable face for North America with an eye towards support and safety and a roadmap to release products only when they are actually ready for market (I refer to the A2 and the iPad GS, both fiascos when released but the A2 seems to be getting better). A proper, transparent beta testing program is in order and then we would know if a product is truly ready or not. Just my $.02.

Andy

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hope that ShamWow snaps him up. These are serious craft we fly with serious consequences and we don't need a huckster trying to sell us snake oil. DJI has brilliant engineers in China and now need a respectable and accountable face for North America with an eye towards support and safety and a roadmap to release products only when they are actually ready for market (I refer to the A2 and the iPad GS, both fiascos when released but the A2 seems to be getting better). A proper, transparent beta testing program is in order and then we would know if a product is truly ready or not. Just my $.02.

Andy

I spit beer on my keyboard. You nailed it. HE WAS the SHAMWOW guy! So glad he is gone. I bought a Naza 2 just to show how excited I was he’s gone.
And I’m a SuperX guy!

BillyO

DJI is the most poorly run corporation ever. How does a company survive like this with no "customer support" whatsoever???

photobobga

Oh BillyO.... I can assure you there are a lot worse run corporations out there. Where the customer support is lacking is from the dealers. You don't call GM when your car needs service... you go to the trained dealer. Where DJI has failed, in my humble opinion is with the dealers. Way too many and very few can spell DJI.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
But even the dealers who can spell DJI and bend over backwards to help their customers can only go so far without solid behind the scenes support of DJI

BillyO

Photobobga, even dealing with dji direct (where I bought my P2V from) has been nothing less than a nightmare.

As far as their dealer network goes, the only 2 I've dealt with so far is DroneFly ( I expect they'll be gone soon with their <cough!> talent!) and Aerial Media Pros who actually know what they're doing...but I expect are understaffed.

All I know is, that I have a damaged aircraft that is now unflyable because of bad parts obtained from DroneFly. I'm pissed.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
You get a $500 quad from China and expect perfection? Ha! These guys are experts at taking our money and not having a care in the world. I'm guessing DJI is pushing the Billion $ mark pretty soon. Given their lack of interest on the forums I doubt they really care if you have a bad part. Unlike a car company they dont get $40k and plan on making most of their money on service. Customer service is a free service that 10 people cant handle once you have millions of customers. They found a way to sell a decent product for dirt cheap and flooded the world with them. we are also dealing with a technology that has many points of failure. there may be lemons and there are plenty of areas for human failure. We all expect these to be 100% reliable and fool proff since they are so many out there but that's not the case. We are paying to develop their products.

BillyO

Not at all. I bought a $1300 quad and believed it to be coming from the US. My problems are mainly from one their US dealers. Their attitudes will be changing soon I expect now that the Feds have taken an interest.

photobobga

OK... I have a few minutes to waste. How many DJI dealers are direct competitors to the professional video and photography companies? I'm guessing over 50%. My guess is that these 'dealers' want a discount on their DJI systems, that same 'dealer' is now selling the same service I'm trying to offer. DJI has a very good product, and a better marketing staff. No doubt DJI has flight controllers that have 'flown away', but how many of us have used a computer operating system that has had bugs/issues... blue screen of death ring a bell? Everyone that uses a technology drive product has been a test driver for that company. Where the rubber-hits-the-road is how many new multirotor owners can fly their aircraft in manual mode? Airline pilots train thousands of hours learning how to fly a commercial airliner in manual mode, so that when the unexpected happens they can react without a crash. Would you travel with a pilot that only knows how to use the Autopilot? BillyO, can you fly your multicopter in manual? I spend a minimum of 10 hours a week at the R/C field training in manual only. I know of one person that is flying in manual only (all the time) because that is the only mode he learned, and he is damn good... I mean extremely good! He has over a 1000+ flights and no crashes, not one. If all you do is fly in Atti or GPS mode you will have a crash at some point, and then you will complain that the flight controller manufacture just cost you hundreds of dollars. Do your homework and learn to fly in manual mode. Buy a small quad, use the Hoverfly Sport flight controller, or similar, and when you can do two forward facing figure eights on a windy day without touching/hitting the ground let me know.

DJI... stop selling to 'resellers' that only want a discount and will not provide support because they are competitors
Would be pilots... learn to fly in manual mode before complaining about your atti or GPS crash
BillyO... who are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.