colin guinn booted from DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe Ed

Seriously Bart, I have no clue as well. How does a large company give such a guy a 48% stake in what could have been a multi-million dollar payday if done right. He was more interested in promoting Colin, CEO/CIO, than DJI. I talked to him at NAB last year in Las Vegas. I did not realize that he had only done two shows in two years. The only other one that I attended was UAVUS in Vegas and I think that DJI did that one. I did not go to CES this year so I don't know. I think that was done by the LA office. His SpaceX behavior was outrageous. I am speaking here as a user not DJI Forum Support. It just does not make any sense to me.

Burntpixel

Seriously Bart, I have no clue as well. How does a large company give such a guy a 48% stake in what could have been a multi-million dollar payday if done right. He was more interested in promoting Colin, CEO/CIO, than DJI. I talked to him at NAB last year in Las Vegas. I did not realize that he had only done two shows in two years. The only other one that I attended was UAVUS in Vegas and I think that DJI did that one. I did not go to CES this year so I don't know. I think that was done by the LA office. His SpaceX behavior was outrageous. I am speaking here as a user not DJI Forum Support. It just does not make any sense to me.
Ed. I wonder if within the contractual agreement something went seriously amiss?

Many on several forums talk about "Customer service". I never knew DJI NA had anything to do with customer service. Could that be a possible sore spot between the 2 entities and what contractually was agreed upon? That I do not know. I do know I have seen several video,s of the CEO from DJI NA in @ at least 4 different trade shows/events,not just the 2 stated in post you linked us too. Does it matter? Could be an issue if there were marketing goals promised,but never delivered. Until the other side of the story is publicly posted,we can only conclude something major when south in a very short span of time.

DJI NA had an extremely short life business wise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

I agree. I only remember NAB and the wonderful exhibition of him flying over people with the P2V. What was the other? I don't think that it matters 2-3 over two years is not good marketing. I really think that "customer service" was part of the contract. Why have a NA headquarters without including that. We all know how well that worked out. I hope that DJI does it better. I am part of that solution.

jazzboy

I agree. I only remember NAB and the wonderful exhibition of him flying over people with the P2V. What was the other? I don't think that it matters 2-3 over two years is not good marketing. I really think that "customer service" was part of the contract. Why have a NA headquarters without including that. We all know how well that worked out. I hope that DJI does it better. I am part of that solution.

Ed, as I mentioned previously, I recently had a very good resolution to an issue working with Charles Cao from DJI China and Jack Burnside from Empire. Both reasonable, professional people. If this the shape of things to come, DJI is on the right track.

Burntpixel

I think so. You and the rest of the end users will make that decision.
I think most of us do in fact like the DJI product line. I do like the Phantom and the Naza M FC. Very user friendly. My personal experience with the product line so far has been positive. I have entertained stepping up into thier bigger platforms,but with the current turmoil and from what I have read not great after purchase support,I'm on the fence on any larger purchase at this time. Anyone of you have any experience with the Vulcan and new Xaircraft FC system?

Not sure why so many are still having issues with DJI products....... any issues I had in the past seems to be mostly resolved now as I have well over 200 successful flights with the WKM with fw 5.20 on an S800 clone and many more before that on my original NAZA c/w F550. However I do recall many issues traced back to vibration when I tried to modify my F550 with larger motors and props...

ALMPilot

"utterly deceptive twaddlespeak" the battery is not $23 at least not for the phantom 2 vision.

Breezemont

Not sure why so many are still having issues with DJI products.......any issues I had in the past seems to be mostly resolved now as I have well over 200 successful flights with the WKM with fw 5.20 on an S800 clone and many more before that on my original NAZA c/w F550. However I do recall many issues traced back to vibration when I tried to modify my F550 with larger motors and props...
Are you kidding?
Do a search for DJI flyaways. There's a Phantom flyaway thread on RCGroups that's almost a year old now, and has a steady 30% rate of flyaways.
Lots of threads about non-response from DJI regarding that issue and others.
How you guys can support a company like that is beyond me.

MrTommy

Are you kidding?
There's a Phantom flyaway thread on RCGroups that has a steady 30% rate of flyaways.

Does anyone know if most flyaways are in more congested areas, like city parks or in-town sites? I do all my flying in local state parks and places that are not urban at all. I'm lucky here in Nevada to have areas where there is NOTHING. Lots of desert land with nothing but sagebrush, few power poles, and even fewer cell towers (which can be both good and bad). Just curious. I've had my P2V for about a month now and have experienced no problems.

I even had DJI respond to my email when I asked what happened to all the Colin Guinn videos. Of course, they said they would be replacing those videos - soon.

Since I am new to the quad world, and really new to these forums, I wonder about all the trouble people report - and HOPE I don't run into this stuff.

Seems that extracting a portion of my original quote makes it appear very much out of context with my name attached..... here is the original again....

"Not sure why so many are still having issues with DJI products....... any issues I had in the past seems to be mostly resolved now as I have well over 200 successful flights with the WKM with fw 5.20 on an S800 clone and many more before that on my original NAZA c/w F550. However I do recall many issues traced back to vibration when I tried to modify my F550 with larger motors and props..."....

Are you kidding?
Do a search for DJI flyaways. There's a Phantom flyaway thread on RCGroups that's almost a year old now, and has a steady 30% rate of flyaways.
How you guys can support a company like that is beyond me.

Breezemont

Seems that extracting a portion of my original quote makes it appear very much out of context with my name attached..... here is the original again....

"Not sure why so many are still having issues with DJI products....... any issues I had in the past seems to be mostly resolved now as I have well over 200 successful flights with the WKM with fw 5.20 on an S800 clone and many more before that on my original NAZA c/w F550. However I do recall many issues traced back to vibration when I tried to modify my F550 with larger motors and props..."....
I guess you're not into the brevity thing.
Fixed it for you.
My point remains the same, regardless of your experience.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

scott,

it's not such a great vote of confidence that you're doing fine with a system that has been superceded and using an older firmware revision. the newest flight control system and firmware revision haven't exactly received glowing reviews.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Am I the only one finding this Colin topic is getting old quickly. Perhaps it's the fuel this fire needed. I always had a good solution for DJI but people didn't like it. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. You know you're buying something from a Chinese company. What did you expect, a fortune cookie and a year free customer support? They are billionaires off of OUR good time and money. The dragon now breathes fire and people want to continue to feed it.

Necessity is the mother of all invention. Let's get back to the grass roots.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
thats funny, I could feel that question coming when I wrote it. I actually erased my definition as I felt I would get some heat for it but since you asked. Grass-roots, means build it all yourself, avoid RTF, learn all the ins/outs of flying and stop trying to do what people have been working at for years by simply relying on GPS and pre-tuned gear. DJI is the opposite of grass roots as they are the first to mass manufacture a product that liters the clouds with sky garbage and doesnt take responsibility for it. It's got to the point I cant go anywhere without seeing one! So now that SkyNet is a real company, what do we do next? I realize that DJI has some good looking/performing products but it becomes a problem with as many units out there as there are. And that number is only growing. Clearly the products are not designed for the masses but they are marketed that way. It's all about sell sell sell not perfect, test, and test some more. As we all know, we pay to be their test dummies.

Status
Not open for further replies.