BNUC-s vs. RPQ-s?

When applying for the BNUC-S ground school course/exam on their pilot reg form 10, do you actually have to specify an aircraft or can you leave it blank for now? (Section 2 & section 3)
Reason I ask is that I want to do a flight test on my current 680Pro and also a new aircraft (either a S900 or the new Align hex, I'm yet to decide on) on the same day, either of which carrying a GH4 I already have. Obviously though I can't specify an aircraft that isn't available yet. I don't really want to specify the Phantom for commercial work

PMaughan

When applying for the BNUC-S ground school course/exam on their pilot reg form 10, do you actually have to specify an aircraft or can you leave it blank for now? (Section 2 & section 3)
Reason I ask is that I want to do a flight test on my current 680Pro and also a new aircraft (either a S900 or the new Align hex, I'm yet to decide on) on the same day, either of which carrying a GH4 I already have. Obviously though I can't specify an aircraft that isn't available yet. I don't really want to specify the Phantom for commercial work

You can leave that blank.

Pete

Quinton

Is that down to the quality of camera, ease of flight, or cost of assuring airworthiness , or combination there-of?

No idea TBH, depends what they want to achieve, if a gopro is good enough for them, then so be it.
Don't think they could assure airworthiness, maybe its a fact that a lot of people are doing their tests these days with a very short time of flying experience, and a phantom is what they started off with.
Its a bit like the old hand photographer complaining as so many newbies are coming into the same line of work and doing it for next to nothing, without really being "as good" as the old hand photographer.
Times are changing and you have to diversify to stay ahead, before you know it everyone will be at this game.
Its not so hard, just requires a bit of money.

Basil-cs

A very useful thread.

I am another one who is planning on taking one of these courses and have just had a long conversation on the phone with both companies, as I am undecided which one to go with.

As I understand it, the courses are similar, in essence:
- 2 or 3 days ground school with an exam
- 1 day practical flight test
- approval of Flight Ops Manual

The difference seems to be in the sequence, course materials and frame permission.

So with the RPQ, there is some online study available before the groundschool, but in the main the groundschool provides the information needed for the exam, which means alot to take on board over the couple of days. Guidance and basic template on a Flight Ops Manual (FOM) also during groundschool.

The BNUC provides a book in advance covering all aspects of the groundschool and I'm told a comprehensive FOM template covering all major requirements before the groundschool.

So, I'm leaning towards the BNUC as I prefer the idea of having plenty of time to familiarise myself with the technical and operative elements in advance of the groundschool, rathe rthan having to learn everything at the last minute and regurgitate for the exam - so all in short term memory! I can also spend time working on the FOM whilst getting in more flying practice before attending the course and then being under a time frame to take the practical test.

However, as I understand it one major difference with the final 'qualification' is that the BNUC applies to one individual specific frame, where as the RPQ is a generic frame type eg. any S900 - not just the one used during the test. Is this correct understanding ?

Coming from zero knowledge of the theory and process it seems the BNUC, providing all the information up front, and a more comprehensive FOM (apparently newly produced in the last couple of weeks?) is more appealing to me, rather than having to take everything on board on site.

Have I got the jist of this correct - or am I missing something ?

I am also told the delays and processing issues occuring at euroUSC have been addressed, in part due to the more comprehnsive FOM template - can anyone confirm this ?

Last edited by a moderator:

RPQs / Resource Group every time! Much better run and how its run.

A lot of people I have spoke to who originally did the BNUC are now changing to RPQs. Luckily Resource Group except the BNUC ground school training so you don't have to do that again! :)

Buzz_Roavr

Another vote for Resource. Don't be put off by the academic elements. It's well taught and well presented.

The online modules are designed to feed into the ground school and provide prior knowledge of basic aviation elements.

The exam is also not that difficult if you do your book work. Book Resource and don't sweat it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So with the RPQ, there is some online study available before the groundschool, but in the main the groundschool provides the information needed for the exam, which means alot to take on board over the couple of days. Guidance and basic template on a Flight Ops Manual (FOM) also during groundschool.

Just finished my RPQ-s ground school today - a really well run course with good instructors and a great deal of practical help with stuff the CAA _really_ do not make clear. As the RPQ-s exam is based on actually writing answers rather than multiple choice, you have to learn the material properly. I was put off my this at first but can now see how this is a far better system. Don't worry about the exam - if you have listened and taken the info on board, you'll pass. But you will be far better prepared than if it was just 4 choices and a bit of a guess.

The BNUC provides a book in advance covering all aspects of the groundschool and I'm told a comprehensive FOM template covering all major requirements before the groundschool.

The pre-course CBT is not state of the art but it does give you a head start for the ground school.

So, I'm leaning towards the BNUC as I prefer the idea of having plenty of time to familiarise myself with the technical and operative elements in advance of the groundschool, rathe rthan having to learn everything at the last minute and regurgitate for the exam - so all in short term memory! I can also spend time working on the FOM whilst getting in more flying practice before attending the course and then being under a time frame to take the practical test.

However, as I understand it one major difference with the final 'qualification' is that the BNUC applies to one individual specific frame, where as the RPQ is a generic frame type eg. any S900 - not just the one used during the test. Is this correct understanding ?

Remember though, you are learning how to operate safely - you don't want all this really vital stuff in short term memory - you REALLY need it firmly in long term one. Parts really scared me into realising this is not a game and must be taken as seriously as flying a plane. Bloody dangerous things these.

For the frame yes, you understand correctly and it is a quite important part. If you have one or 20 frames of the same type then you are covered with one flight test. You can also take the RPQ flight test with flight reference cards rather than have to write a full manual first. This allows you to learn stuff from the instructor on the day and adjust the manual.

Coming from zero knowledge of the theory and process it seems the BNUC, providing all the information up front, and a more comprehensive FOM (apparently newly produced in the last couple of weeks?) is more appealing to me, rather than having to take everything on board on site.

Have I got the jist of this correct - or am I missing something ?

I am also told the delays and processing issues occurring at euroUSC have been addressed, in part due to the more comprehnsive FOM template - can anyone confirm this ?

No experience of the BNUC one but I have not heard a good thing about the support of system of manual approval (random requests for changes despite CAA not requiring it). IT will be very interesting to hear if it gets better - their reputation really can't get much worse. You will get a manual template from RPQ plus the personal email address of someone who can help on a one-one basis to get it right.

Please feel free to PM me if you need more info that I can't really share in public as others will be going through it soon.

Mike

Buzz_Roavr

Mikes FRC point is very valid. I would be amazed if you didn't have to make some alterations after the flight test. Far easier to amend GRC's than an entire OPs manual.

Basil-cs

Thanks all for the extra information.

RPQs is obviously the popular choice here, and the airframe type permission is a definate competitive advantage, but would still be interested to hear from anyone who has recently taken the BNUCs to add a bit of balance, as wandering if they really have improved their administration.

Buzz_Roavr

There is a Euro USC Facebook group that is fairly busy. Ask on there I would say.

Quinton

Thanks all for the extra information.

RPQs is obviously the popular choice here, and the airframe type permission is a definate competitive advantage, but would still be interested to hear from anyone who has recently taken the BNUCs to add a bit of balance, as wandering if they really have improved their administration.

I passed my BNUC-S flight test recently, and did not really have any problems.
In fact the flight tester bent over backwards for me for the flight test location.

Saying that my ops manual was submitted to the CAA on the 29th of August and I have still not received a certificate.
It does all to be a bit of a shambles really, as there is a lot of expense involved, not to mention the cost of Insurance that is being paid without actually having PFAW yet.

Have a feeling that the industry is growing in the UK at a much quicker rate than the authorities can cope with.

Buzz_Roavr

Something is a miss because Resource OPs seem to go through much quicker than BNUCS.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just remember the RPQS is UK specific. BNUC-s may be a pain to deal with but its fast becoming the internationally accepted qualification.. Just another one to throw on the fire!

I am on the shelf here but Euro USE are now starting to get their house in order. You can plan for growth but its becoming a tide wave that no ones could have anticipated. RPQS are military efficient as you would expect from their background and is probably the fastest route to being able to apply for PFAW, the bottle neck will be the CAA's ability to process the share volume of new applicants.. It will be interesting to see their new safety case template that may just render one man operations a huge body blow. That will stem the flow of applications for sure and the renewal's of such set ups.

D

Last edited by a moderator:

Just remember the RPQS is UK specific. BNUC-s may be a pain to deal with but its fast becoming the internationally accepted qualification.. Just another one to throw on the fire!

I am on the shelf here but Euro USE are now starting to get their house in order. You can plan for growth but its becoming a tide wave that know ones could have anticipated. RPQS are military efficient as you would expect from their background and is probably the fastest route to being able to apply for PFAW, the bottle neck will be the CAA's ability to process the share volume of new applicants.. It will be interesting to see their new safety case template that may just render one man operations a huge body blow. That will stem the flow of applications for sure and the renewal's of such set ups.

D

On the international front - are countries automatically accepting the accreditation via BNUC? Their own brochure simply states "Certain countries, most notably Belgium, France, Ireland, Italy, Malta, Norway, The Netherlands and Sweden are already aware of the BNUC-S™ as proof of pilot competency below 20kg and may take this into account when issuing any Permission/Exemption to operate for Aerial Work."

Would be interested to know if it is the CAA permission that is recognised (like PPLs) or just BNUC-s.

Like Buzz_Roavr, people operating without at least a regular observer will, at the very least, have their ops manuals really examined - but then the CAA is quite happy with single pilot planes - far more dangerous than even my carbon fibre Tarot.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
One man operations are just a no go full stop now I reckon Dave. Resource are certainly discouraging it.

I just wrote a huge rant about single man operations but deleted is as I have better things to do than argue for safe working practices to be paramount. Really glad too hear Resource are discouraging them, guess they have to protect their income stream though. I and others can't wait for the new safety case requirements to kick in.

D

Could you point me to any documentation (consultation or otherwise) WRT the CAA's thinking on single man operations vs with camera operator/spotter please