BNUC-s vs. RPQ-s?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi Mark,

There's so many things that can be amended by EuroUSC that they cannot be listed in a single post. It all depends on who looks at your ops manual.

Just work through the template and when you're done send it in. They'll tell you what needs amending. :nevreness:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
but the latest CAA safety case update for congested areas may make it irrelevant anyway. I have to fully understand how it affects things.

If you wish to stay within the bounds of articles 166 and 167 then the CAOSC does not affect your ops at all nor do you need to write one. Of course you still need a full blown Ops Manual! The only exception to 166 and 167 is that it currently states that ALL aircraft regardless of mass must remain at least 150m from a congested area. The CAA however, as standard, allow sub 7kg aircraft into congested areas, as an exemption, but they must still maintain the 30/50m distance from people and or property. At yesterday's meeting with the CAA they confirmed that this is the only exception to articles 166 and 167 that will remain in place without the need for a CAOSC. The only way to change anything else such as minimum distances, congested areas, or, and here is an interesting bit, to go over 20kg is by submitting a COASC. So, those of us in the over 7kg will only be able to operate in a congested area after Jan by submitting a CAOSC. If a pilot wishes to fly their Phantom in a congested area and reduce distances to, let's say 30/40m then a CAOSC will be required.

The depth and detail required in your CAOSC will totally depend on what it is you are trying to do, with what and how so there is no real answer on how to fill these out. So, sorry to go off topic a bit but the long and the short of it is that the CAOSC does not affect your manual writing at all although the CAOSC will either need to replicate or make reference to parts of your Ops Manual. Clear as mud?

markuav

Hi Mark,

There's so many things that can be amended by EuroUSC that they cannot be listed in a single post. It all depends on who looks at your ops manual.

Just work through the template and when you're done send it in. They'll tell you what needs amending. :nevreness:

Thanks Benjamin. Do I then need to pay for each additional update?

Any hints/tips on the most common ammendments? The thing I got from this thread was to watch out for spelling mistakes!

Carapau

You don't pay for updates unless you need lots of them. They should give you a very detailed response on the first return and if you apply all their comments, some of which can be highly pedantic but humour them, and you should get it nailed without too much bother. Take your time over the first attempt and think through everything you do and then put yourself in the position of a new pilot turning up to work for you. Could they read your ops manual and abide by all of your processes, checks etc. If they could then you are probably on the money!

markuav

You don't pay for updates unless you need lots of them. They should give you a very detailed response on the first return and if you apply all their comments, some of which can be highly pedantic but humour them, and you should get it nailed without too much bother. Take your time over the first attempt and think through everything you do and then put yourself in the position of a new pilot turning up to work for you. Could they read your ops manual and abide by all of your processes, checks etc. If they could then you are probably on the money!

Great thanks Carapau your new pilot comment has put it into perspective for me.

DanBrown89

Hi everyone. This is a great thread, loads of info. I have a Phantom 2/H3-3D/GoPro Hero3/BlackPearl FPV setup, which I've had for about 4 months and have been using for personal stuff. I know a couple of local video makers who would like aerial footage and would be interested in hiring me for jobs having seen some of the footage I've uploaded to YouTube. I want to keep everything above board so I've been looking at getting PfaW which has lead me here.

I really can't decide whether it's worth taking the plunge and doing the BNUC-S or RPQ-S. On the one hand, I'm still relatively inexperienced and my kit isn't exactly 'professional'. On the other hand, I have potential clients lined up, and could look to upgrade equipment in the future. I was leaning towards the BNUC-S but this thread has certainly made me re-think.

You seem like a friendly and knowledgeable bunch, I'd be interested in knowing what people's opinions are. Is it worth pursuing getting PfaW with my current kit? If so, BNUC-S or RPQ-S?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, I've got my head in a bit of a spin trying to figure it out myself without anyone more experienced to talk to!

Cheers, Dan.

Carapau

Get the process started asap as it will probably take you 6 months from now until you get your actual PFAW. To be honest, going RPQ or BNUC both achieve the same thing for similar costs so perhaps it is worth going with which is most practical in terms of course availability and location. When I did the BNUC it was very good although I believe the course and flight test has changed somewhat since then so no current idea on what it is like. What hasn't gone so well is the service I have received from Euro USC- it took them about 3 months to renew my BNUC this year! Staggering. Dont hear many down sides on the RPQ course though so on that balance all else being equal go for the RPQ.

Stratifier

Hi, RPQ's certified here, with a Phantom 2, and about to take my flight assessment for the S900 very soon. I don't know about the BNUC's, but I've been happy with Resource group, the teaching, and the exams.
With Resource you get a web based training, 3 days ground course, and the exam. Following this you take a flight assessment to get your RPQ's Certification for your platform. Then you have to write your Operations Manual and submit it to the CAA to obtain your FPAW. Resource group instructors have been really helpful with this too.

The certification is about flying safely your UAV, complying with the CAA regulations, and not about the size of your platform. I think that regarding its flight characteristics, it is absolutely acceptable to be certified with a Phantom 2. Not mentioning the quality of the pictures you can get from the GP3+ H3-3D .

Getting certified is a real commitment, at a personal, and business level (it is for me!). As Carapau said, and through my experience too, It's going to take you about 6 months to get the FPAW... Right on time for the nice sunny days !!
Good luck.
S.

Buzz_Roavr

I'd echo the comments above really. My experience with Resource was positive and they have a good work ethic and mentality but in balance I know Euro USC are taking steps to improve their course

DanBrown89

Interesting stuff. When you say allow six months, how is that divided up? As in, what time-frame for each step (between now and getting the RPQ/BNUC, between that and getting PfaW etc.)? I'd like to get it all sorted for that week of nice weather we get in the summer!

Also, regarding price: the RPQ is a bit clearer about price: £1600 for everything, + £113 CAA fee. For the BNUC, it says £700 for Part 1, £350 for Part 2, plus the CAA fee. That's a £550 difference, am I missing something from the BNUC price list (http://eurousc.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/FTCUK-Issue-3.2-web1.pdf) that would be compulsory?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzz_Roavr

The ground school and flight assessments etc. take time to get booked and sorted.

Equipment, whatever you think you've got you'll need more bits and bobs.

I'd say from today book ground school for a months time. Attend g/s. Go away and prepare flight reference cards 1-3 weeks. Book and attend flight assessments 1-3 weeks. Pass flight assessment move on to prepare Ops manual 1-weeks. Submit ops manual and deal with feedback 1-2 weeks.

Send ops manual and assorted documents to CAA to apply for PFAW wait 3-5 weeks depending on complexity.

There are many many variables in this and it all depends M on what experience you have / how you can produce manuals and safe systems of work / how deep your pockets are.

UAVAir

There are now 10+ NQEs in the UK and so the market is a little more crowded and brought along some healthy competition.
We (UAVAir) are one of those NQE and are made up of a combination of airline pilots and drone professionals who are active in the industry right now (and active on FB forums) to give a balance between theoretical knowledge and practical flying. We do the course including the flight test in 3 consecutive days.