BNUC-s vs. RPQ-s?

jezbot

Hi everyone

What a great forum and some really useful threads and posts have already caught my eye.

I'm a novice with very limited airtime and experience in MR piloting (I currently fly the Phantom 2 with 3d gimbal and GoPro3) and have just applied and paid for my ground school BNUC-S with EuroUSC !
To my horror I've just seen this thread and am now in a state of complete confusion as to whether or not I've made the right decision (too late now i guess).

I'm due to receive my handbooks in the post tomorrow and am attending the 2 day course in Leeds on the 20th - 21st August, and am just hoping that cramming for 2-3 hours a day for the next 2 weeks will be enough time for me to get my head around the rules and regulations i'll need to know in order to pass.

thanks for reading about my plight, and any offers of support, sympathy and encouragement would be greatly appreciated ;)

cheers

Jez

Steel100

Jez, I'm only slightly ahead of you, having done my RPQs ground school last month. Can I suggest that you don't go along with any preconceived ideas and just judge things based upon your own experiences. As Ben has said, I'm sure things will go well for you.
Regards
Andrew

jezbot

Jez, I'm only slightly ahead of you, having done my RPQs ground school last month. Can I suggest that you don't go along with any preconceived ideas and just judge things based upon your own experiences. As Ben has said, I'm sure things will go well for you.
Regards
Andrew

Again, thanks Andrew!

You're right. I'll embrace the experience for what it is and give it my best shot.

appreciate the support. ta

Stratifier

Hi Jez, I'm just like you, very limited airtime and flying a P2 +H3-2D and GP3+. My RPQ's ground course is at the same dates as your BNUC-s. (19/20/21 Aug). I am studying hard at the moment! Hope to see you soon on the other side!

jezbot

Hi Jez, I'm just like you, very limited airtime and flying a P2 +H3-2D and GP3+. My RPQ's ground course is at the same dates as your BNUC-s. (19/20/21 Aug). I am studying hard at the moment! Hope to see you soon on the other side!

Hi Stratifier,
It's good to know that there are a few of us in a similar situation.
Perhaps we will be able to gather some group motivation/inspiration!
Are you aware of any examples of past examination papers or indicators or what type of questions we might expect to answer, from either the BNUC or RPQ organisations?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
With ResourceUAS you do an online test before the ground school which covers most of what will be in the written exam. For BNUC-S, the handbook covers what's in the exam.

jezbot

Quick update
I've just received my handbooks through the post!
Will be having a couple of hours reading and then going out for a fly this afternoon... :nevreness:

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Hi jezbot, don't worry about it - you are given almost all the answers to the test on the first day and second morning. Reading the handbook will help fill in some gaps and give you more confidence later, but don't worry if it all looks too complicated. The test isn't set out to trip you up and trick you, it's sort of a way of making sure you were paying attention during the ground school. The BNUC people aren't in league with Beelzebub or anything, just very slow when it comes to sorting out paperwork, and little obsessive when it comes to sorting out paperwork. More than they should be in some people's opinion.

Whichever one folks go for, BNUC or RPQS, they're doing a good thing - taking responsibility for safety and being regulated and putting themselves above the regular schnooks. :)

JimM

I found it very beneficial to buy the Southern England Aeronautical Navigation chart (chart 8) and familiarise myself with it before the course. They supply one on day one of the course but having the chance to learn the chart before the course was of real benefit. Good luck. It's interesting and enjoyable.

Timtim

Don't worry, I took a cancellation for the ground school as there was a long wait for spaces near me, and as a result only got the handbook on the day. It wasn't a problem getting through the exam. Have fun

jezbot

Hi jezbot, don't worry about it - you are given almost all the answers to the test on the first day and second morning. Reading the handbook will help fill in some gaps and give you more confidence later, but don't worry if it all looks too complicated. The test isn't set out to trip you up and trick you, it's sort of a way of making sure you were paying attention during the ground school. The BNUC people aren't in league with Beelzebub or anything, just very slow when it comes to sorting out paperwork, and little obsessive when it comes to sorting out paperwork. More than they should be in some people's opinion.

Whichever one folks go for, BNUC or RPQS, they're doing a good thing - taking responsibility for safety and being regulated and putting themselves above the regular schnooks. :)

That's very reassuring! I was hoping it would be something along these lines. Perhaps they will have sorted out their admin and such in the mean time.

I found it very beneficial to buy the Southern England Aeronautical Navigation chart (chart 8) and familiarise myself with it before the course. They supply one on day one of the course but having the chance to learn the chart before the course was of real benefit. Good luck. It's interesting and enjoyable.

I wonder if they'll use a different map for their course based in the north of England?

Don't worry, I took a cancellation for the ground school as there was a long wait for spaces near me, and as a result only got the handbook on the day. It wasn't a problem getting through the exam. Have fun

Once again thanks for the info. I'm definitely feeling more confident about the whole procedure and am looking forward to getting stuck in!

JimM

That's very reassuring! I was hoping it would be something along these lines. Perhaps they will have sorted out their admin and such in the mean time.

I wonder if they'll use a different map for their course based in the north of England?

Once again thanks for the info. I'm definitely feeling more confident about the whole procedure and am looking forward to getting stuck in!

i believe they used the Southern map for their Northern course last time I knew of someone doing the Northern course. that may have changed now.

jezbot

Well that was fun!

Just a shout out to David and anyone else i met over the last couple of days at the EURo BNUC-S course in Leeds who might be reading this.
I have to say that I gained a great deal of knowledge and understanding about the industry in general as well as meeting some friendly, like minded and interesting people in the process.

I found the course quite advanced for a novice, although the tuition from Andrew Bailey was first class and as long as you listen and take down notes there's no reason to feel intimidated by the exam at the end of it.

Overall a worthwhile few days and am about to start gathering info for my Ops Manual.

J

Thats very nice to hear.
I'm wanting to do the same course in Leeds like you. Have you done a flight test, or how long away is that?

Regards Mike

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

jezbot

Thats very nice to hear.
I'm wanting to do the same course in Leeds like you. Have you done a flight test, or how long away is that?

Regards Mike

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Mike

I've not done a flight test yet, that is something i'll be expected to do once the BNUC group are satisfied that the CAA will approve my operations manual.

The whole process is done in 4 stages.

1. Theory course and exam (Leeds or wherever)

2. Operational Manual

3. Flight test

4. Certificate of approval from the CAA for permission to undertake aerial work

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Well that was fun!

Just a shout out to David and anyone else i met over the last couple of days at the EURo BNUC-S course in Leeds who might be reading this.
I have to say that I gained a great deal of knowledge and understanding about the industry in general as well as meeting some friendly, like minded and interesting people in the process.

I found the course quite advanced for a novice, although the tuition from Andrew Bailey was first class and as long as you listen and take down notes there's no reason to feel intimidated by the exam at the end of it.

Overall a worthwhile few days and am about to start gathering info for my Ops Manual.

J

Yep, Andrew bailey is a top bloke! :nevreness: