Before you buy, please read this

kloner

Aerial DP
Kloner can you please explain to me in a bit more detail the last part of your post please about fpv? Thanks. :tennis:

when you get into long range receivers like ezuhf, dragonlink, the like, spektrum radios are fussy, dragonlink just flat doesn't work. ezuhf works alright, but there ppm signal uses shifting and that makes it un-stable for talking to lrs systems. futaba is a straight up 5 volt ppm, not this proprietary "dsc"

so my 11x is dsm2, i'd have to send it in and spend anotehr $120 some bucks ot have it upgraded to dsmx, that i don't even know is still what they give ya today cause i think they changed again, but at 2000 feet it repeatedly would failsafe. $800 radio...... i got this big clunky futaba and flew off a mile and it never twitched. the feeling in your hands is a consistent locked in feel. with spektrum, they feel loose at times and to me, it's a delayed un connected feeling that at this point it makes me nervous to fly with.......

heres the head to head comparison of size and weight. both are loaded with battery rtf

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

almost half the weight. Love that little pos $270 radio... was gonna upgrade to 8fg, but can't think of why

Gump

From one noob to the rest of you, and to the experienced pilots too, all I can say is take heart - the value of this forum and the effort some of you put in is not lost on everyone.
I'm new to multirotors too. So new that I only saw my first one this past summer. So new that I only have stick time on my Blade MQX.... but not so new that I don't understand the value of information.
I've read and gathered so much information that my Multirotor Bookmarks require a road map to navigate through them. Parts, accessories, systems, posts, pictures, videos... anything worth making note of is all there for me to reference. And I'm thankful that its all there as I look forward to gathering the parts and completing my first build through the winter.
I find it invaluable to read about the problems and successes that many of you talk about on these forums. It gives me knowledge and ideas about what I want to get out of flying a multirotor and how I should go about gathering and building something that will get me what I want out of it.
One thing that comes to mind that might help others is a section that contains the user name, and a full descript profile containing all the information about the products that that user flys. And I mean everything from A to Z. All the components that go into making the build, and discussion about problems encountered along the way, do's and don'ts for building and flying, talk about maintenance, performance, resources, etc. etc. etc. Now THAT would be something to read about!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Not true about JR and the switches, ....

Fair enough. Maybe - just for once - I have been fortunate with the Futaba 12Z. At the time I wanted to buy a 12Z they had stopped selling it in Europe because it was harming sales of the (truly dreadfully clunky) MZ14 and I had to get it from Singapore or somewhere. I was very impressed with the radio and purchased three more. I needed a second radio for cameras anyway but decided to double up so that I did not get caught out by some new stupid marketing strategy if I needed to replace one. Two are still sitting with plastic on the screens.

The menu thing is a matter of becoming accustomed to each radio. Another reason I bought so many 12Z's. I didn't want to fuss with different menus. I tried a 12FG and kept scrolling the wrong way or going to the wrong page because the buttons and wheel operated slightly differently.

I appreciate the complete absence of 'disco' and Star Wars Go-Faster mouldings on the 12Z. But then again, what I view as understated and functional others might say is Plain Jane Boring!

Paul881

Okay, seems I was hasty in not considering the Futaba so thanks for opening my eyes to its comparative merits.

And what about my choice of the Flamewheel F550? Bearing in mind I was looking for something stable for APV it looks impressive for the price and should be able to lift a GoPro and FPV gear (eventually)?

kloner

Aerial DP
gump, alot of us have Blog entries and alot of times, it's a build were flying. if you want to know more about team blacksheep discovery building, that's all mines about. the methods and parts can be used on anything though......

Paul, hex's are alright. they got a little more room on the 550 but a purpose built quad for fpv flies so much better. the Discovery is an amazing little piece of engineering. mine does 60, i use it like a plane

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
when you get into long range receivers like ezuhf, dragonlink, the like, spektrum radios are fussy, dragonlink just flat doesn't work. ezuhf works alright, but there ppm signal uses shifting and that makes it un-stable for talking to lrs systems. futaba is a straight up 5 volt ppm, not this proprietary "dsc"

so my 11x is dsm2, i'd have to send it in and spend anotehr $120 some bucks ot have it upgraded to dsmx, that i don't even know is still what they give ya today cause i think they changed again, but at 2000 feet it repeatedly would failsafe. $800 radio...... i got this big clunky futaba and flew off a mile and it never twitched. the feeling in your hands is a consistent locked in feel. with spektrum, they feel loose at times and to me, it's a delayed un connected feeling that at this point it makes me nervous to fly with.......

You're comparing apples and oranges, the 11X is closer to being equivalent to the 10CHP which is the 10 channel Futaba I had, you can't really compare an 8 channel to an 11 channel for size and weight as they are very different radios regardless of who made it.

FWIW, I've flown to 3/4 of a mile without lockout using the 11X and AR7000 receivers, further than that and I feel safer using EZUHF since I know how much pollution there is in the 2.4 frequency band around here, enough to make using 2.4 gHz vTX nearly useless for anything but close range. I've also flown the 11X on DSM2 at the same time as 80 or more other pilots on 2.4 while attempting to break the Guinness record for most helis hovering at the same time, no problems at all flying the Cinestar 6 taking video. If I weren't confident in the capability of the radio I would never have risked that much $$$$ flying under those conditions...

Bottom line is everyone has a favorite radio that works for them, it's almost like religous belief at times so trying to convert a believer in another brand can be difficult at best. All I can go by is the experience I've had in the hundreds of hours I've flown Spektrum/JR without a single incident that I can attribute to the radio system, others experience may vary.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
the only radios actually made by spektrum themselves wasdx6 & dx8 and on and only since last year, before that they were all made my JR. i have setup 3 dx8 for customers and the disconnected feel reminds me of driving buzzed.......... just don't like it

I've had the ezuhf out 5 miles now, not a wink out of her. When i tried it on a JR, it worked sometimes, then didn't the others. the biggest problem with the 11x is it will not link up with DL or EZUHF and allow you to use trims or d/r or expo and everyso often your ppm sum is gonna get wide then narrow and it'll change neutral points on ya. heres on now, last time i used DL and made me walk inside and order a futaba.......

oh wait, heres a ppm shift comin at us now

and look, another
12:20

i'd sell anybody my 11x today for $300 if you want it. it's worthless to me

Paul881

Paul, hex's are alright. they got a little more room on the 550 but a purpose built quad for fpv flies so much better. the Discovery is an amazing little piece of engineering. mine does 60, i use it like a plane
Yeah, I get that but for APV with $$$ of investment in camera and video gear, doesn't a hex looks to be good insurance and more stable as a platform?

Paul881

yea, but you asked about wanting something stable

y-6 comes to mind
What's a Y-6?
And wouldn't the F550 be more stable than the F450 and have more availability than the F450 and Discovery on account of its six motors?

Murocflyer

Promoting Model Aviation
I'm one of these "new guys" you are talking about. I do not think I have done this much research into buying something for less than $600 (my budget) ever before. From what I understand, the flight controller boards seem to be the most important part of these multirotors.

From my research, I have found the following brands:

Quad4
FYETECH
Quadrino

Gaui
DJI NAZA

Did I miss any? I did not include the hobbyking board and will not buy one of those for reasons that are not relevant to this topic. But if I did miss anyone please let me know. It would be great to hear the plusses and minuses of those above, but if you don't have the time to share that's cool. I'll continue my research.

Thanks,

Frank

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm one of these "new guys" you are talking about. I do not think I have done this much research into buying something for less than $600 (my budget) ever before. From what I understand, the flight controller boards seem to be the most important part of these multirotors.

From my research, I have found the following brands:

Quad4
FYETECH
Quadrino

Gaui
DJI NAZA

Did I miss any? I did not include the hobbyking board and will not buy one of those for reasons that are not relevant to this topic. But if I did miss anyone please let me know. It would be great to hear the plusses and minuses of those above, but if you don't have the time to share that's cool. I'll continue my research.

Thanks,

Frank

Hoverfly
Mikrokopter
DJI WKM

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Buy something Chinese! That's all that matters. Chinese are the best at making everything for the lowest price possible. They are experts at "modifying" others ideas and finding ways to sell them for less with slightly weaker components. Do NOT support US manufacturing! We cant make anything here but fat people and diabetes. Oh wait, there is Hoverfly. American made, flies better than anything I have ever flown, and they answer the phone in my native tongue. My bad. :)

Murocflyer

Promoting Model Aviation
Buy something Chinese! That's all that matters. Chinese are the best at making everything for the lowest price possible. They are experts at "modifying" others ideas and finding ways to sell them for less with slightly weaker components. Do NOT support US manufacturing! We cant make anything here but fat people and diabetes. Oh wait, there is Hoverfly. American made, flies better than anything I have ever flown, and they answer the phone in my native tongue. My bad. :)

Thank God there are still companies that make stuff here in the USA. Here is a list of another 250 or so companies that do so. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751051

Frank

Murocflyer

Promoting Model Aviation
Here is my list so far.

Quad4
FYETECH
Quadrino
Gaui
Hoverfly
DJI NAZA
DJI WKM
MiKroKopter
timecop = Naze32
flyduino
ioi multiwii
Arducopter
PX4
Paparazzi
Aeroquad

Is there anything on there that I can rule out because they are junk? That will help me save time in my research.

Thanks,

Frank

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Thank you very much Bartman for the advice!
I am new to the whole multi-rotor community, I have been reading and researching about it for the past month (Which is a very short period) and I still feel like I have no idea yet. And I just joined this forum ... I am planning to get a certain motor/props set, which thread do you advice me to ask in?

Anyways, I truly appreciate your advises.

Giovanni59

I'm a professional photographer for 30 years, all types. Been doing AP from an 18ft. blimp for 15 years, tethered with a JR radio to control pan and tilt, FPV with 8" LCD display. No video, just still shots with a Canon Rebel. I'm retiring the blimp and going multi. I bought a used DJI 550 with Naza and a Spectrum DX8 and I am practicing with this set up until I get more experience. I did a little simulator practice but I think training with this rig is better for learning real life actions. This weekend I installed the FPV camera and transmitter from my blimp on the 550 but I have not tried it yet. My living room looks great through the copter though. I'm waiting for a new motor to replace one that was failing.

I am now researching to buy an octo, heavy lifter so I can shoot with a nice DSLR, probably a Nikon D7000. I was going to buy a RTF rig (Ready To Fly for the noobs) but now that I got my feet wet I see the value in building myself, which will be a learning experience in itself. Anyone who buys RTF will probably find themselves in a pickle as soon as anything goes wrong. So I know it will be a long learning curve but by building the heavy lifter myself I will have a much better understanding of how to fly it, maintain it and repair it when needed.

Now I just have to decide which frame to go with. Droidworx, Cinestar and Aericam are on the top of my list. I am also considering buying some manufactured parts and fabricating some parts myself but the engineering knowledge is lacking and there is not a lot of info or plans out there. Also still trying to decide whether to go with carbon fiber or G10 or something similar. I was going to keep the Spectrum DX8 to radio control it but now that I read this thread I will consider the Futaba. I have already decided to go with DJI's Wookong, I am very impressed with the Naza and I hear the Wookong is so much better.

What I would like to find out from some of the more experienced are:

1. What parameters should I consider in choosing an octo frame, whould I buy one manufactured or build myself?
2. What motor and blade configuration? (I'm sure there will be as much advice on this as there are manufacturers and models)

Thanks for a great forum and looking forward to the information exchange. Also, should I post this in a new thread?

Thanks

Gio