Droiders WMK F460 frame build

plingboot

@Dave, few quick questions about installing the wkm in/on the flame wheel frame if you don't mind.

1. any thoughts on component layout on the two decks - can all the wkm components sit in the lower space (lipo up top) - or is there an issue with being so close to the power board?
2. i assume it's double sided tape to keep everything in place - 1mm thick foam tape ok or something without padding?
3. did you wire your led's to the powerboard - so they're on as soon as you plug in the lipo?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
@Dave, few quick questions about installing the wkm in/on the flame wheel frame if you don't mind.

1. any thoughts on component layout on the two decks - can all the wkm components sit in the lower space (lipo up top) - or is there an issue with being so close to the power board?
2. i assume it's double sided tape to keep everything in place - 1mm thick foam tape ok or something without padding?
3. did you wire your led's to the powerboard - so they're on as soon as you plug in the lipo?

cheers

Make sure the main brain (forgotten the name now) but the one with all the sensors, is cable tied down firmly. The others don't matter I they move a bit.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keith.uk

Yes, the new XA hexa frame can be found here: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2120/Xaircraft-Hexa-Frame-carbon/Detail.

Although the DJI F450 and the XA 450 framesets look very similar, they are not quite the same. Even the arms are a bit different. the XA hexa uses the same X450 arms.

CNCHelicopters has a pretty nifty combo kit for $700 that includes upgraded motors, upgraded ESCs, a connection harness, 10" props and the impressive MC6500PRO 2-axis mount. this would make for a very nice Naza platform, I think.

-- Gary
Do you have any experience with that mount, Gary? Do you think that frame would be suitable for lifting a DSLR?

Cheers,
Keith

DennyR

I am lifting a 550D with one, You can also use a heat gun for bending the arms to give a little side thrust for improved yaw response.
Staggering stability with special props.and Tiger Motors even in the wind.

DennyR

cheers
Dave you can mount the battery in the center and put the electronics on the top.

keith.uk

I am lifting a 550D with one, You can also use a heat gun for bending the arms to give a little side thrust for improved yaw response.
Staggering stability with special props.and Tiger Motors even in the wind.
That sounds promising. Would you mind sharing which prop/motor combination you're using?

Cheers,
Keith

DennyR

View attachment 1787View attachment 1788View attachment 1786View attachment 1785
That sounds promising. Would you mind sharing which prop/motor combination you're using?

Cheers,
Keith
The props are 11x4 autoclaved in carbon prepreg. Shown alongside an 14x4.7 APC for comparison. They actually weigh only 14 grams each The motors are TM4008 with 30 amp TM ESC. The combination is designed around fast response. Performance is also blistering. This is overpowered for normal flying stuff. Shown here with a Panasonic TM-HDC900 and a 5800 mAh. battery. Cutting down a 14x4,7 to 10x5 or 11x5 is also not a bad prop.

Attachments

• Props-1.jpg
    Props-1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Prop mold-1.jpg
    Prop mold-1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 315
  • Flame -1.jpg
    Flame -1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 313
  • Flame2.jpg
    Flame2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 352

keith.uk

Thanks very much for that, Denny. I was all set to order a Naza kit, when they arrive in the UK, tomorrow. Now, I'm having a last minute rethink. I'm looking for something for AP work, but never having flown before, whatever I get will inevitably be bashed about a bit. At some point I'll probably upgrade to something like the Cinestar. Until then, it looks as though the XA Hex and gimbal with the Naza controller might be a better bet than the Naza kit.

Hmmm...

DennyR

I wouldn't rush into anything yet. Aerial filming platforms are set to get smaller and lighter and a lot more advanced. I would start with a flame wheel and ease yourself into this slowly. Use a GoPro fixed to the airframe and find out what you can do with post stab. and go from there.

keith.uk

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan. It just seemed that I might be able to take the XA a little further than the flame: first fly it with no camera, then add a GoPro, either fixed or in the XA gimbal, and then possibly replace the GoPro with a DSLR. Also, as I'm not much of a one for making my own mods, the XA with its ready-made gimbal and landing gear is a bit more appealing than the flame.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up.. For a start welcome Keith.uk to MRF.. Just got in from a long day and busy evening.. I was going to pst a follow up vid but have not had time..

Will try tomorrow.. hang on a drop before you jump in to anything.

I will go back through the post tomorrow and reply to the questions

Dave

rwilabee

Couple of questions:

Did you take the bottom plate back off so you could solder all the wires after you did the video or does the side you solder to go upside down. Did you run a seperate BEC or just use one of the ESC's for power. I ordered the frame to use with the NAZA I preordered. I already had motors and ESC's. This is going to be my funfly quad hope it loops and rolls nice.

Thanks
Rich

Just started putting my F460 frame together..

First impressions.....

plingboot

solder pads go on the inside.

having sat here placing components in various combinations, it's pretty obvious that the wkm will work with the flamewheel, but it's really designed for the Naza.

if dji start selling spares, i'd have another to deck just to give myself a bit of breathing room.

it'd also be nice to have some spare pads on the distro board, at the moment the wkm install looks to require a split lead between the lipo and the distro board to power the pmu/components - more pads would mean this wasnt required.

great frame and nice size though.

pics to follow. :tennis:

plingboot

a bit of both…

the heat shrink is off them at the moment as i'm going to attempt to flash them before covering them in heat shrink which matches the arm colours.

rwilabee

Is flashing the same thing as programming the parameters of the ESC's. The ESC's that I'm going to use on mine I have to program once I get them hooked up to a motor and receiver. I don't think they make a programming card for them. I think I'm using the same ones that Droider used on his. Of couse my wife isn't going to give me the frame or Naza until Christmas. Oh well not to long now. Good idea using Shrink wrap to match the color of the arms. I was also going to use black and white tie wraps. I also want to run some leds like Droider did so I'll probably wrap the wires around each ESC lead before I solder them to the pads for each arm. I decided to leave the WKM on my xAircraft which I am going to do FPV which is more Christmas stuff. This one I plan on using as a funfly quad. I can't wait to see how it loops and rolls. Since it is fairly small I'll just have to be careful to keep orientation.

a bit of both…

the heat shrink is off them at the moment as i'm going to attempt to flash them before covering them in heat shrink which matches the arm colours.

plingboot

Have a look at THIS thread. It's actually reprogramming the firmware in escs with Atmel chips. It could all end in disaster/new esc's and is definitely not a required step in the build process.