Before you buy, please read this

djw43

well I built a gas plane many moon ago, never actually flew it, was living in NYC at the time, and had one unsuccessful event.
I would be ecstatic to just watch you fly, anytime!

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I just finished reading this thread from beginning to end, and I want to say thanks. This really is a great thread, and I can't express how happy I am to have found this forum. I have been doing the typical research, and will be "finalizing" my list in the next couple days. I look forward to hearing your opinions here.

One thing I'd like to mention that I don't think has been previously stated, is that threads like this (and the beginners forum in general) are incredibly helpful because of its 'tone.' While I have spent a ton of time on other forums, and gained a bunch of useful knowledge there (I guess that's yet to be proven!), I appreciate that this forum doesn't suffer from the common "some experts can't teach" syndrome. In my lurking here (just officially joined today!) I have recognized a more patient form of help than I've seen elsewhere - which is priceless when you're just diving into this vast sea of information.

Like was mentioned a few pages ago, I'm of the school of jumping in and learning from my mistakes. While I don't want to waste a bunch of money, I'm hoping that with help from the folks here - I will be able to create a quad that actually flies. I'm planning on starting from scratch, and putting a multicopter together from individual parts. I know there will be huge stumbling blocks, but I find that's when I learn the most for future projects. In digging under the hood, we learn what makes it tick.

In the meantime, I've been having a ball practicing on my tiny Blade Nano. Trying to get my comfort and skill level up so that by spring (I should have some form of the build done by then) I'll be ready to raise the bar.

Thanks for for the great info, knowledge and experience offered here!

COMike93yj

Still Building!
What a tremendously helpful thread!!! I would have loved to have found it a month ago!

I am still building my "list" and I am glad that it will be a few months before I can get my craft airborne. For my first build, I'm looking for at a minimum, a 450 size. I'll also be going on a low cost build.

While I would love to get some of the cool flight controllers, I feel that starting with an inexpensive one (KK2.1) is the best for me. I won't feel that badly if I break it whereas a multi hundred dollar controller that got ruined by pilot error would essentially kill me :black_eyed:.

Thanks to all the friendly and helpful folks here at MRF!!!

bigholty

wow , now thats a read , ok so i have no experience in flying quads except for my little hubsan x4 , which ive crashed so many times it scares me to think if it had been a large scale quad id be stuffed ..i thought i knew what to go for ...original ideas were towards the TBS ,but im now unsure of what direction to go , the controller ok that looks like the single most expensive part im going to buy , but as for the bit i want to fly i have no idea now , with out asking the normal question of what do i want can i just ask the difference between the flying of different shapes , all 4 rotor quads the TBS has a long body to it where as others seem to be the flame wheel shape , whats the stronger / cost effective way of starting repairing and keeping in the air ,is there a "better shape of the frame " i thought i had a good idea but after reading this post im back to square one .
Only one thing i can say about this forum is blimey theres a lot to learn and even more to master ..thanks for the time and money you guys have spent so we dont have to quite do so much ..

jbrumberg

".... theres a lot to learn and even more to master ..thanks for the time and money you guys have spent so we dont have to quite do so much .." Nice thread. I am glad I finally found it. Thanks everyone.

Learning curves tend to be expensive regardless of the subject material. As I have learned and am learning.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
This thread goes dormant from time to time and then will pop up again. I go back and re-read what i wrote two years ago and I still stand by it!

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad it's been helpful and something of a guide when you guys are trying to determine what's reasonable to expect in getting started.

The DJI Phantom certainly has delivered a bit of legitimate RTF in the world of RTF multi's but many still don't and maybe never will. There's work involved! It mostly fun but can be a real PITA when the problems aren't so easy to fix.

Bart

jondrew

FWIW, and I'm sure others feel the same, I've never been able or motivated enough to build an RC anything ( let alone some sort of heli) and been able to fly/drive it long enough to get good at it. With the Phantom 2, here is something that is about as RTF out of the box as anything I'd ever seen. It really is very capable on many levels and is so easy to fly its incredible. Does it have issues (poor tech support, horror stories about fly always and unrecognized batteries), sure. What doesn't? Can you crash or loose your $1000+ toy first day out of the box? Absolutely. But if you want to play lumber jack.....

i think ink this thread is a must read for people wanting to get into this hobby and thanks to everyone who contributed. But as has already been said, you probably wouldn't be here if you hadn't already plunked down money.

sledge57

FWIW, and I'm sure others feel the same, (Snip)<snip><snip>

I'm sure you're right but there's probably just as many (or more) who feel the opposite and would rather build their own.

I probably have about the same into my F-550 as your Phantom 2, but I like knowing that when it crashes, I'm intimately familiar with everything in my MR and can fix it myself.

Nothing wrong with RTF, I almost bought a Phantom myself but for me building was a better option and I like building things....</snip></snip>

COMike93yj

Still Building!
I'm sure you're right but there's probably just as many (or more) who feel the opposite and would rather build their own.

I probably have about the same into my F-550 as your Phantom 2, but I like knowing that when it crashes, I'm intimately familiar with everything in my MR and can fix it myself.

Nothing wrong with RTF, I almost bought a Phantom myself but for me building was a better option and I like building things....

+1 for sure on my end!

zinkracer

Yep, me too. Just started flying my Blade Nano in the great room last night. Took more skill than I anticipated to control it and have booped it countless times already but I am learning! I'm going to have to develop more confidence in my soldering skills before I build a MR. Also just ordered a Mobius camera last night to play with on my RC planes. Have a H9 Piper PA18 Super Cub almost finished and should be a good airplane platform for getting some video experience prior to jumping in to a good quality MR. I am stoked!

JG

Yep, me too. Just started flying my Blade Nano in the great room last night. Took more skill than I anticipated to control it and have booped it countless times already but I am learning! I'm going to have to develop more confidence in my soldering skills before I build a MR. Also just ordered a Mobius camera last night to play with on my RC planes. Have a H9 Piper PA18 Super Cub almost finished and should be a good airplane platform for getting some video experience prior to jumping in to a good quality MR. I am stoked!

JG

That is where I started.. RadioShack 60.00 heli.. practiced inside, AR Drone,,, sent it back,, got my money back.. 2 GAUI 330X smash and crash and rebuild, presently, dji450 with alt hold gps hold, one major crash in 2 years,,many ruf landings and a 550 / 650 being built , all over a five year period ..a lot of fun

If you're reading this then you probably have some awareness that multi-rotor helicopters have seen a huge surge in popularity in the last year or two. You may even be contemplating making a purchase so you can have a go at it yourself. I'm writing to tell you, for all the great success you may see going on around you, multi-rotor helicopters don't assemble themselves and there are a lot of challenges that come up well after you click the first two parts together.
So what's the point of this? I've witnessed a lot of excitement here with the release of new products and half the time it's well deserved and half the time it isn't. There's an exuberance that comes over the site and I'm happy for everyone that jumps in early when things work out but it's hard to watch when the exuberance quickly dies and people are out hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. I apologize if anyone has been burned by something they've learned about here at multirotorforums.com or if the information they found here didn't work out so well for them.
So what's the point of this? Before you buy, before you send a dime, keep in mind that these things don't assemble themselves. Even an RTF (Ready to Fly) will become a do-it-yourself project the second you crash and the forums won't always be the best resource to get the answers you need. You might just write a check to make the repairs which is fine but the guy that sold you the RTF has to be there when you crash to do the repairs or you're just wasting money making the purchase there in the first place.
SO what's the point of this? Before you buy, do your homework and find out about the person, or shop, or manufacturer that you're buying from. These things don't assemble themselves and it's important to buy from someone that will support you independent of these forums. By all means do use the forums to ask around as it's a small community still and many of us know the good from the bad. Many of us know who has burned who or who has taken calls at 3 am and have been helpful.
You are about to spend a lot of money and it shouldn't be money lost. For all the advances made by companies like DJI, XAircraft, Gaui, HoverFly, MK, etc. there is still a fair amount of good decision making to be done in the process of making any of them fly.
The point is, know who you're dealing with and make sure the money you're spending is going towards your success and not just a box of parts.
Thanks for reading
Bart
Everyone needs to read this!

Make magazine's (awesome publication) latest issue features drone construction and it's great. Highly recommend. I think most of us are Makers in general

What I did was a little different from what I've read so far. I stumbled on Rcgroups/classifieds and found a guy selling a new TBS Disco, loved the looks and it seemed to be
the kind of cadillac ones available. So I contracted him to put it together so it was RTF, he found me a rx/tx used 9XR plus I told him I wanted FPV. Got it in couple weeks, think it was like 1300$, opened it up and thought...what did I just do, lol. Talk about intimidating. I didn't know that most all comes without printed directions, that's key to newbies!! Light crashes later I've learned about replaces props, arms(he used cheap knockoffs) and LED lighting next. I found out on my own that I have a dead ch 6 in my 9XR...talk about fustrating when your're following dir on youtube and it won't work because of a dead ch!! Next I need to figure out the Naza Lite, I think it needs checked cause it drifts. But I also am bout ready to give up and go the rc car route, I don't know. Anyways this is just something for a new guy to gain a bit of exp on my buck :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Avenger

Great advice on this thread and very incitfull of the OP to caution against buying in haste based on the urge to emulate the snazzy videos on YouTube.

i considered buying a RTF model and learning all about it by flying it, however I was convinced to build my own and "enjoy the process". Well the process was enjoyable to a large degree but it was also frustrating yet the frustrating elements were the parts that taught me the most about what makes a multirotar. I still don't know didley compared to seasoned pilots but I'm a hell of a lot better informed than I would have been had I bought a RTF.

so my advice, take your time, look around and form a solid opinion on what you want, look around some more until you're 100% sure what model and configueration you're going to buy. Investigate the buying options and choose someone reputable and who's going to be there if things don't go according to plan (which they won't).

be be patient with the build, don't try to assemble your craft in 5 minutes, do it right with the correct tools and components and build it to as high a spec as you should, no corner cutting.

when it's done you'll enjoy it more and be that bit more proud of your aircraft but most of all you'll have a greater knowledge of what makes it work.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Avenger: well put and I'm glad you had a good experience. I think we all can relate to the excitement overwhelming impatience, but in the end it's worth the wait. The tools you accumulate and learn to use properly for this first build will allow you to be more prepared for that next build, and the quality will continue to grow as you move forward in the hobby.