Align M690

Dave_EP

[MENTION=15309]ShackFlyer[/MENTION] - thanks for the update. While disappointing I suppose it's not totally unexpected since this is a new system. I'm starting to lean back towards the S900 for a short term project since it's a little more of a proven platform, despite all the gremlins that DJI have from time to time.

Just trying to put a build list & budget together now with the idea of being able to fly it commercially around Feb 1 onwards.

@ShackFlyer - thanks for the update. While disappointing I suppose it's not totally unexpected since this is a new system. I'm starting to lean back towards the S900 for a short term project since it's a little more of a proven platform, despite all the gremlins that DJI have from time to time.

Just trying to put a build list & budget together now with the idea of being able to fly it commercially around Feb 1 onwards.

If I was spending my money again knowing what I know now, it would be on a S900, in fact I may end up doing this for ease of getting my Ops through & flight test done :upset:

I'm sure I can get the M690 to work as well as a S900 with a zen, it's more a case of how much time & effort is needed to get there. The £ cost of a S900 package may well be lesser of the 2 options.

What are your thoughts about putting a DJI controller on the Align?

It's certainly an option I will look closer at, but the power control unit could be a stumbling block as it would need removing/bypassing as the Align FC software controls it & it has an automatic inactivity timeout shutdown.

The PCU is also mounted between the CF frame plates & is bit of a pig to get at short of 1/2 dis-assembling the thing. TBH I think a S900 package would be less hassle as the Wookong with a S900 is not that much more than just buying a Wookong. Or inc a Zen as well makes financial sense to me.

If I already had a spare Wookong I might consider it as a project...but I haven't & it's too big for a Naza Mv2 IMHO.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Oh man, reading the thread on the other website... it's not pretty. A dog's breakfast. Some sample videos, lots of shaking going on. Seems the gimbal is undertuned. That's the best case scenario. People getting upset with Align. Worst case scenario would be that the airframe vibrates too much and they had to use really soft dampers to eliminate jello, but then you end up with shaking.

UPDATE- FLIGHT & GPS ISSUES SOLVED

Right I'm going to own up to my problems being user error.

Although I can find no mention of it in any of the manuals, you should not fly with the Bluetooth unit (HERBT001T) cable connected to the FC after making any parameter changes. It does not stop emmiting 2.4GHz RF even after the Bluetooth link is severed unlike DJI's unit. This causes both interference with flight control and GPS reception.

This is a real pain as the connectors are a pig to insert into the APS-M & it would be nice to keep it attached to tune on site if necessary.

Overall the M690L flies fine now so I'm happy.

Zaxxon

First flight of my M690 on Saturday and it is very smooth.

I'm very pleased with the platform. I used Align 60C 5200 cells and had to add a counterweight (no gimbal and camera for the first flight obviously) at the front to balance. Total weight was 5.5kg.

Flight times were around 7 minutes and the batteries were showing 14%.
Failsafe worked very nicely on the return to home switch. I also ran a test by switching of the transmitter, everything worked as planned and the M690 returned and landed, lowering it's undercarriage at about 20ft and touching down very softly. However the landing spot was about 10ft from the take off location, no major worry but could have caused a problem if the take off location was restricted.

I also had a couple of minutes flying manual and it seemed to be pretty neutral and reasonably stable.

My preferred settings so far are:
- Gains as standard
- DR 70% Ail & ELE 50% Rudder (note that the drone will not start with D/R's selected, you need full rates to start the props spinning).
- Carefree Orientation mode, I was initially flying GPS Velocity but found the way the model straightened up level to be pretty harsh when the model stopped moving. I'll need to have some more time flying both GPS flight modes, but my initial thoughts were that Velocity would not make for smooth video.

I'm very pleased with how smooth and solid the drone is so I have fitted the gimbal and balanced it with a 5D 3 and 16-35mm. So next flight will be with this setup.

My only complaints about the system so far are:
Rubber boots being superglued to the cables (waste of time and the glue cracks) I have replaced the boots and plugs.
It takes a long time to pick up the satallites.
No shutter control available on a single transmitter system. (This is being fixed in a future update though)

I have managed to find some 6S 40C 6200mah Lipos weighing 872g. Two will be connected in parallel to my M690L. Has anyone got a similar setup? As I would be interested to hear of flight times being achieved.

My setup is:
M690L
G3 Gimbal
digital video TX
Bluetooth unit
Spektrum 9001 receiver with 2 satellite receivers
2 6200mah Lipos in parallel.

The build was straight forward and the only points I found are the same as others:
The PCU is a pain to get too and impossible to disconnect - reconnect plugs without removing the top plate.
Thumb screws are Ok but I can see the thread could easily be damaged (need to carry spares)
Tags or coloured plugs to avoid smoking any electronics.
I am also changing the XT60 plug for a higher rated HXT

Hopefully test at the weekend ;-)

@Russ Delaney

And....

Was the test flight successful... watching with interest..

Hugh
Test flights have all been very good, I have been testing different lipos and tweaked the low voltage LED warning.
2 flights today were 16min 20sec and 15min 30sec.
Both flights were using a single Multistar 8000mah Lipo.
I have not fitted the gimbal yet as I need to update the firmware in the PCU to get the retracts to go up and down fully. Initial flights with the good old UK weather gusting 15mph was wandering slightly. So gains now increased to 25%
Seems very smooth and predictable and so far very pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-Byrd 3

Hey guys,

Newbie here. Purchased align m690 today with attitude fat shark, black mamba tx5820, zenmuse h3-3d, futaba t14sg, and go pro hero4 black. Here's the thing......I dunno what I'm doing! Lol. I've messed with modding r/c cars, but this is nothing like that. Also I'm a helicopter mech.......mech......I don't do wires.....which brings me to HELP!

The hobby store guy seemed dumb and so I bought a bunch of stuff that doesn't seem made for each other. I'm having trouble understanding the wiring for the the gimbal and it's gcu v2 as well as the futaba. I'd really appreciate some clear and concise assistance as I am slow and learning.

Thanks,

T-Byrd 3

DaxFX

The h3-3D will not work on the m690, thats a DJI gimbal and only works with DJI controllers like Naza V2, A2 or wookong.

DaxFX

The only way is try to get a used naza v2 with the pmu and no gps, use the naza as for the gimbal only or go back to the Hobby Shop, return everything including the m690 after you get your money back give that freaking moron a punch in the nose. Go to elsewere and talk with some1 who can give you real help, or return only the gimbal. Align is coming shortly with the gopro gimbal you can start by learning the aorcraft and get use to it wile the gimbals roll out to the streets.

The gopro hero4 also requires the h3-3d to be modified to fit so you will void the warranty.
Personally I would return the gimbal, camera, vTx, fat sharks. Build & get your head round tuning/flying the multicopter, then when the Align G2 gimbal for the go pro hero 4 launches in about a month get that and Align's OSD with integrated vTx & a monitor before going to try flying FPV.
The Align OSD also gives telemetry from the FC, nothing else will easily at present.
Walk before you try running a 1/2 marathon. ..just my 2p

Last edited by a moderator: