WARNING - Firmware 5.24

Rainman

Rainman, the 'fleet' does not need grounding, people need to not have the last two firmwares on if they're having trouble is all, Ben Kenobi is right. As far as the CAA is concerned it's down to individual operators to make sure their craft is safe, not the various manufacturers involved.
Agreed, but a change of firmware should at least require flight testing and in certain cases a new CofA, and in conjunction with that and in the absence of manufacturers guidance then owners/operators of commercial Wookong units should be particularly circumspect until the manufacturer decides to take appropriate steps and provide sufficient information in order to allay concerns. Who's to say the issue which appears on a number of 5.24/5.26 firmware systems doesn't also pre-exist in older firmware but has remained masked by older code or particular set of circumstances or events? The fact is that you simply don't know and have no way of knowing - after all, there are other reports of fly-aways prior to any of the latest firmwares. Until DJI come out and provide more information and an acceptable resolution then responsible commercial operators should be looking to other solutions. The current situation is really unacceptable, for so many reasons.

Rainman

Would be interested to know if the people having this problem still have the same problem with their video TX turned off

Dave
In the interest of subjectively testing this would indeed be useful to know, that said my current rig is useless without the VTx. Dave, what video TX are you using? Also, whilst it's not strictly true I would however expect similar behaviour regardless of firmware if the VTx might be an issue - worth testing though, although I'm not prepared to risk my own rig with the current firmware for anyone, such was my last experience. I was very lucky to be left with something in one piece. In fact I'm extremely reluctant to fly this rig at all with any firmware, until DJI acknowledge the issue and do something about it.The Wookong-M with current firmware is not fit for purpose.

Teamflail

Would be interested to know if the people having this problem still have the same problem with their video TX turned off

Dave

Don't have FPV or telemetry setup on my hex and I had the same issue with 5.24. For my setup, I believe it has to do with the vibration. No issues with 5.22 but with 5.24, the Wookong is not happy. Very little vibration on my platform either.

Pjtyros

Ok, so I have been using 5.24 on 2 craft, one with v1 gps and one with V2 gps, both have Vtx and no problem that I am aware of.
Most of my flying is for film work so it is mainly low level but in the last two weeks I have had 5 jobs at 10 locations around the UK that have been photo work with high level shots required again I have not had a problem. At each location I will calibrate the compass and wait for full sat lock before take off. As soon as Dave posted this problem I went to a private field and spent an afternoon testing with both craft again no problem, it would be interesting to know exactly how many people have this problem and to see if there is any common ground such as Craft/motors/rc system/Vtx etc etc.

Paul

B

Bengit

Kari, if you're ok with 5.16 I wouldn't bother. 5.2 works ok as well I think, can't remember what the difference is though.

Rainman, the 'fleet' does not need grounding, people need to not have the last two firmwares on if they're having trouble is all, Ben Kenobi is right. As far as the CAA is concerned it's down to individual operators to make sure their craft is safe, not the various manufacturers involved.

+1, I have flown 5.24 and now flying 5.26 with no problems.

Rainman

Ok, so I have been using 5.24 on 2 craft, one with v1 gps and one with V2 gps, both have Vtx and no problem that I am aware of.
Most of my flying is for film work so it is mainly low level but in the last two weeks I have had 5 jobs at 10 locations around the UK that have been photo work with high level shots required again I have not had a problem. At each location I will calibrate the compass and wait for full sat lock before take off. As soon as Dave posted this problem I went to a private field and spent an afternoon testing with both craft again no problem, it would be interesting to know exactly how many people have this problem and to see if there is any common ground such as Craft/motors/rc system/Vtx etc etc.

Paul

My F550 is completely stock running 4S with 8" props. I'm also running the IOSD, Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz datalink modules all with latest firmware. My IMU is v1 whilst my GPS is v2. Also have a Zenmuse gimbal for my GoPro H3 BE (wifi permenantly off). The only other non-DJI components on this rig are an ImmersionRC 25mw 5.8Ghz VTx and a JR RG1131B 2.4Ghz receiver with the RA01T telemetry module.

I just put 5.22 back on last night but at the moment I'm keeping this on the ground as I just don't trust it. I'm supposed to be taking it down to the southwest at the weekend to film surfing, but thats not looking likely. It's not going in the air again until we get advise from DJI - I've logged a ticket on their website, notified the dealer and I've submitted a report to my local BMFA/CAA officer.

B

Bengit

My F550 is completely stock running 4S with 8" props. I'm also running the IOSD, Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz datalink modules all with latest firmware. My IMU is v1 whilst my GPS is v2. Also have a Zenmuse gimbal for my GoPro H3 BE (wifi permenantly off). The only other non-DJI components on this rig are an ImmersionRC 25mw 5.8Ghz VTx and a JR RG1131B 2.4Ghz receiver with the RA01T telemetry module.

I just put 5.22 back on last night but at the moment I'm keeping this on the ground as I just don't trust it. I'm supposed to be taking it down to the southwest at the weekend to film surfing, but thats not looking likely. It's not going in the air again until we get advise from DJI - I've logged a ticket on their website, notified the dealer and I've submitted a report to my local BMFA/CAA officer.

There have been no reported problems with 5.22.....do you trust any FW version?

What weight are you flying at? What mah?

Kolb

Ok - Guess I was wrong. I have the V2 GPS and v1 IMU. I am stable on 5.24 - will do some more testing with iosd to confirm mode switching.

Cheshirecat

Just to add to the VTX debate (aka is it contributing to the issues) i am flying with the DJI approved VTX on the iOSD and not experiencing any issues with 5.24

B

Bengit

What weight are you flying your 550 at?

Guess what, Dave. This problem appears to be position based.
As stated earlier, I've been flying 5.24 for the last 4 weeks or so, and never had it drop out of GPS. This week I flew down to Costa Rica for some projects, and right off the bat, on my first flight it dropped out of GPS 60% of the time I was flying - no changes to the S800 at all. If I had a camera operator, I wouldn't have minded as much, but since today's shoot was solo, I have not been effective at getting the shots I need and focus on the drifting aircraft due to winds.
SOooooo... I'm reverting back to 5.22 as we speak...

Teco

have a question, or 2,
Got my first wk v1 about 2 months ago, i just had the time to mount now, i few guy are upgrade the IMU to the V2, My question is: Is it really need, 'worth' to be upgrade? if yes, where can i buy in the US.

2nd, on the dji manual on page 4 show that i have to plug the IMU on the top hole, and the PMU ON THE LOWER HOLE, show in the picture.

But the dji video shows me the opposite, can you Dji WK owners tell me where what is the correct way to plug these cables please?

thanks

here is the DJI video

Warning: I was using the v2 IMU with v5.24 firmware.
My s800 did the flip of death and DJI pretty much told me to go screw myself that they aren't helping with it.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
OK I seem to have found the issue.

It was happening on 5.26 also..

If your craft is not perfectly balanced to X Y Z on the compass it flashes the yellow green. I found this out playing with my new F450 / Zen. I i put the battery central as soon as I took off I got yellow green flashing lights. Slid the battery back 5mm and hey presto.. no Y/G lights but a bit of a toilet bowl.. I now need the time to upload firmware to other craft and test this on them.

It would be good if others could try this without putting craft at risk

Its just an annoying problemn that does not happen on 5.20 which is what the Y6 is on at the moment and flying lovely, I just cant use the BT / iPad for stuff.

Dave

Rainman

OK I seem to have found the issue.

It was happening on 5.26 also..

If your craft is not perfectly balanced to X Y Z on the compass it flashes the yellow green. I found this out playing with my new F450 / Zen. I i put the battery central as soon as I took off I got yellow green flashing lights. Slid the battery back 5mm and hey presto.. no Y/G lights but a bit of a toilet bowl.. I now need the time to upload firmware to other craft and test this on them.

It would be good if others could try this without putting craft at risk

Its just an annoying problemn that does not happen on 5.20 which is what the Y6 is on at the moment and flying lovely, I just cant use the BT / iPad for stuff.

Dave
Dave, I did some back to back testing on my F550 this weekend. With 5.22 I was getting a lock on 12 satellites all the time, 3 flights back to back and all working flawlessly. Did an update to 5.26 in the field and it would only ever get a lock on 9 max. I always check the C of G whenever I connect a new pack so it's definitely not that. I'm back on 5.22 now and it seems to be pretty solid. Ditto your comments on the iPad stuff. I've now got a Bluetooth unit which is nothing more than an additional battery drain for absolutely no practical use over the standard LED.

Last edited by a moderator: