IMU Orientation Error = Unflyible?

IMU Orientation Error = Unflyible? (video of crash)

Hi all I think I know the answer but I want to confirm that what make may S800 crash on take off was that when I installed the antivibration kit and updated the new location measurements mistakenly and unaware selected left and not forward orientation.

Would that make the S800 Unflyible? I have a video of my crash that I will post later,

the crash left 3 broken props and one arm broken

Here the video
http://vimeo.com/71167543

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, sadly that is exactly due to the incorrect IMU settings. :(

When flying ATT or MAN modes the FC is correcting for every tiny pitch and roll movement and sends commands to the motors to compensate for that movement. So by entering incorrect IMU parameters, the FC thinks it's going one way, and ends up sending commands to the incorrect motors to try and compensate for the motion. You can actually see from the video that it wasn't just a forward or backward flight which would have been caused by just a forward/backward incorrect alignment. But since you had it off by 90 degrees, it ended up also inducing rotation to the motor commands, as seen by your video.

Have you repaired a broken S800 arm before? Let me know if you need help. I posted elsewhere on this forum the instructions as I learned how to do it for first time.

Hope you are up in the air soon!

ProPilotWannabe thank you very much for the replay and that gives me peace of mind as I know exactly what happened, and yes I have repaired broken arms before, and yes is sad I made my self over confident with more than 60 successful flights, actually this video was shoot the second time this happened to me the first time just one propeller broke, I dismounted the zenmuse recheck everything all connections, voltage, recalibrate compass, etc but never checked IMU orientation!!!!

hopefully this video and post helps every body to recheck recheck and recheck IMU orientation.

thanks again for your input it is very appreciated, and i will look at you video as I plan to upgrade to the new evo arms, old arms 48usd the new ones are just 20 and even i did replace an arm before is always better to see what others are doing.

deluge2

Hi all I think I know the answer but I want to confirm that what make may S800 crash on take off was that when I installed the antivibration kit and updated the new location measurements mistakenly and unaware selected left and not forward orientation.

Would that make the S800 Unflyible? I have a video of my crash that I will post later,

the crash left 3 broken props and one arm broken

Here the video
http://vimeo.com/71167543

Thanks so much for sharing this experience, including the graphic video! Another failure mode for us all to keep in mind with a visual to reinforce it at a visceral level.

Steve