WARNING - Firmware 5.24

Black Adder

Glad to hear that. So it sounds like you didn't experience the dropping out of GPS mode problems that some have reported?
I'll probably give it a try this week.

I didnt notice any strange behaviour, but I will go flying again today to observe LED indicator and to do some further testings.

Cheshirecat, I am in the same boat as you. I have been flying 5.24 in GPS mode extensively the past 2-3 weeks and haven't observed this either. (Same configuration as you, but on an S800.) It does sound like it's hit or miss who this affects.

Me as well, with V2 IMU on an S800 EVO. I've had 4 test flights in the last two days , without any problems.
One thing, this morning I downgraded from 5.26 back to 5.22, and when I flew it the IOC function didn't work, so I went back to 5.26 and it was fine.
I don't think it jumped out of Atti mode at all, maybe for the next test I'll keep an eye on the iOSD..

I have V1 IMU and V2 GPS and no problems so it would seem to be linked with bluetooth maybe.....
I have Bluetooth LED on mine (forgot to mention that earlier).

Or could it be how/where the GPS is wired into the Wookong? Mine is plugged straight into the PMU; but then again, I'm guessing that's how everyone probably has it.

Kolb

Can someone explain how to tell if you have IMU v1 or v2 or GPS v1 or v2? I have bought the WKM promo and as far as I recall my compass doesn't say any version id.

Can someone explain how to tell if you have IMU v1 or v2 or GPS v1 or v2? I have bought the WKM promo and as far as I recall my compass doesn't say any version id.
The IMU V1 is in a plastic tan case, while V2 is in an aluminum case.
The GPS V2 says "V2" on the top of the antenna, and doesn't say anything on the V1.

Rainman

Yellow flash green flash, yellow flash green flash.. flivk the switch from GPS to Atti then back to GSP and lock again.. then a few seconds later Yellow Flash green flash.. bugger.

Anyhow for those on here and on RC bollocks that question my set up then here is the facts.

No I dont have GPS V2 and I have been flying this machine now for almost 12 months NO GPS Problems what so ever, solar activity quiet or high..

I just rolled back again to 5.22 the issue has gone away. Its OK for people with V2 saying they dont have an issue but the vast majority on here I am guessing have V1 GSP units.

Just want to state that I have the same problem with 5.24 and 5.26 firmware. I have v1 IMU and v2 GPS. On one occassion that it started flipping between Atti and GPS I had to fight with my F550 to get it on the floor and it just kept hopping back up into the air and the motors would not turn off once it was on the floor and with throttle stick and trim completely shut. I had to manually shift into Atti mode, get it on the floor and roll it onto it's side to make it stay on the floor and cut the motors.

This firmware is a joke and it's outright dangerous. DJI need to sort this out right away. At the moment my Wookong-M is staying on the ground until it's fixed. I just got my Wookong a couple of weeks ago and it's brand new and so I'm covered under UK law and if there isn't a fix VERY soon it will be going back for a refund as it is not fit for purpose. I'm also going to alert my local BMFA officer to this problem as this is a very signficant and very serious development.

Rainman

Maybe it affects people who have IMU V2 !!

Nope, I only bought my Wookong a couple of weeks back but it still has IMU v1 (plastic case) and it is currently exhibiting the same symptoms as Droider. I've been flying mine FPV and on the IOSD I can see the flight modes rapidly switching between Atti and GPS much clearer than you can when watching the LED which could be confused as something else (some people seem to think it's recording homelock in IOS mode).

Last edited by a moderator:

Rainman

So any one else tried 5.26?

I may give it a go as it can't be any worse.

Dave

Dave, don't bother - I've tried 5.26 and it does exactly the same thing and I could see it clearly on the IOSD rapidly flicking between Atti and GPS. It wouldn't let me land and just kept popping back into the air every time I touched down. It was quite scarey watching it continually leap into the air. If I get a moment I'll try and upload the footage I recorded while it was happening. Unfortunately my ground station flight recorder wasn't recording the OSD feed as you could have seen the rapdi mode change too.

Phil

Rainman

I will do just that. I've also reported this issue to my dealer and also direct to DJI via their website. I will also be reporting this to my local BMFA/CAA officer as it is a potentially dangerous issue. Certainly all commercially deployed Wookong systems should be grounded until this is resolved.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
You mean commercially used wookongs on firmware 5.24? Why don't you just put the old firmware back on? I've got 5.20 and all good.

DennyR

V2 is marked. If the puck does not say V2 then it is not a V2. The second generation mk1 GPS was recalled and there was a way to indent the bad ones. (Flip of Death).

Last edited by a moderator:

Rainman

You mean commercially used wookongs on firmware 5.24? Why don't you just put the old firmware back on? I've got 5.20 and all good.

How does anyone else know what firmware you're using? It's only you that knows and whilst to the root cause is yet to be established and because DJI haven't reacted to this in 3 weeks (!!!!!) this is all suposition and conjecture. For a product which is aimed at commerical activities this is unbelievably bad. If the the manufacturer does not respond in a timely manner and take control of the situation then the fleet gets grounded - but thats not for me to decide although it wouldn't be very surprising if that was the outcome.

With all the heat on FPV (and by association multicopters) if you want to cause a legislative stir then just get one of these to fly away in the wrong place with the manufacturer irresponsbily just standing idle for 3 weeks or more and it WILL put a nail in the coffin of your hobby. Perfect thing to happen within a week of some poor kid getting decapitated with an RC heli.

Kari

So 5.20 is reliable? Maybe i can update to it, i'm still on 5.16 on my both wkm:s because have not found any issues with it. Any real advantages in 5.20 over 5.16? Like white flashing issue gone? (kidding)

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Kari, if you're ok with 5.16 I wouldn't bother. 5.2 works ok as well I think, can't remember what the difference is though.

Rainman, the 'fleet' does not need grounding, people need to not have the last two firmwares on if they're having trouble is all, Ben Kenobi is right. As far as the CAA is concerned it's down to individual operators to make sure their craft is safe, not the various manufacturers involved.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Would be interested to know if the people having this problem still have the same problem with their video TX turned off

Dave