Zero UAV UAV Zero Steadi470

vespasian

Zero steady 470 with a DIY pan/Tilt gimbal

Here is a pic of a crude pan/tilt gimbal added to the steady. The pan/tilt movement of this gimbal is not 100% but I hope to find a solution soon that will ensure smooth movements. The idea was to find out if adding a second gimbal for the camera would affect the other gimbal when the camera is moving. It actually seems to behave normally. Once I have figured out how to smooth out the pan/tilt, I want to add retractable landing gears so I can pan the camera 360 degrees. Yesterday I have added an FPV system with OSD and have used the gopro's tv output. View attachment 8841View attachment 8842

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 369

johnno

Here is a pic of a crude pan/tilt gimbal added to the steady. The pan/tilt movement of this gimbal is not 100% but I hope to find a solution soon that will ensure smooth movements. The idea was to find out if adding a second gimbal for the camera would affect the other gimbal when the camera is moving. It actually seems to behave normally. Once I have figured out how to smooth out the pan/tilt, I want to add retractable landing gears so I can pan the camera 360 degrees. Yesterday I have added an FPV system with OSD and have used the gopro's tv output. View attachment 11489View attachment 11490

Hi Vespasian noticed in your pics you are running 2 batteries in series what size are they?........john

vespasian

Hi, on the left model I use 2x2cells 6500mAh 25c with 50c burst. I get around 15 minutes flight time. On the right model 4200mAh 25c with 80c burst, around 9 minutes flight.

socratic

Hey Guys, Need some help on the FC. I mounted everything on my test quad but having some issues. I am getting a solid blue light from the led - couldn't find a reference to that in the manual??? I am also getting a change of state in the vibration status (when static) flashing from the normal green to red. Think I did some damage to the IMU during the crash? Not sure what is going on or how to isolate issues - if any. Thanks. Jim

AND THE ANSWER IS.....Operator error! I was going to delete this post (embarrassed) but thought maybe someone else might be as brain dead as me and could use the info. In any case, I had the GPS and IMU reversed (GPS plugged into IMU slot and vice versa). This caused the blue led to stay on and get weird readings on the vibration readout. Once swaped into proper position, everything looks to be working as it should. Just need to throw on props and fly.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnno

Hi All, I am having a little problem with Compass Calibration for starters when I press Magnetic Compass I get a new mini page with cancel, Horizontal, vertical etc I select Horizontal and OK I then are suppose to see "success" I have never seen this ever, if I keep going and try to do the rotation I can never get the Blue LED to stay on, it comes on then goes off. I wont tell you what happens if I do Vertical but If those servos hav'nt been damaged I will be very surprised. Anyone got any ideas?? John.

robone

Hi All, I am having a little problem with Compass Calibration for starters when I press Magnetic Compass I get a new mini page with cancel, Horizontal, vertical etc I select Horizontal and OK I then are suppose to see "success" I have never seen this ever, if I keep going and try to do the rotation I can never get the Blue LED to stay on, it comes on then goes off. I wont tell you what happens if I do Vertical but If those servos hav'nt been damaged I will be very surprised. Anyone got any ideas?? John.

Okay, ignoring your servos :) I have never seen it say success at any time either. What I normally do :
1. push Hor. tab
2. Hold multirotor close to you and get the blue light on.
3. Move slowly in a clockwise direction at all times keeping the light on. It may sound difficult but you will get the hang of after about 20 tries.
4. Do this 3 times
5. press vert button
6. repeat what you did for horiz. front of MR must be pointing down.
7. press save
8. screen will jump to the screen and show you both circles. They need not be completely round or on top of each other, but better if they are. As long as the circles are not broken, and that all hinges on you having that blue light on almost permanently.

You will get it right. I have not heard of anyone not being able to, but it may take a while :)

As for the servos, why not disconnect them while doing the compass calibration?

Cheers
Rob

johnno

Okay, ignoring your servos :) I have never seen it say success at any time either. What I normally do :
1. push Hor. tab
2. Hold multirotor close to you and get the blue light on.
3. Move slowly in a clockwise direction at all times keeping the light on. It may sound difficult but you will get the hang of after about 20 tries.
4. Do this 3 times
5. press vert button
6. repeat what you did for horiz. front of MR must be pointing down.
7. press save
8. screen will jump to the screen and show you both circles. They need not be completely round or on top of each other, but better if they are. As long as the circles are not broken, and that all hinges on you having that blue light on almost permanently.

You will get it right. I have not heard of anyone not being able to, but it may take a while :)

As for the servos, why not disconnect them while doing the compass calibration?

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob, it's taken over a week as it is the thing that is of concern is why do I not see the word Success which is a conformation from the auto pilot that you have entered that mode, yesterday I tried and I had the machine on the ground perfectly still and started the blue led just kept coming on for a second and then going off and I haven't even touched the machine, I get worried when I don't get what I should get in the book of words as vague as it is.
john.

robone

Hi Rob, it's taken over a week as it is the thing that is of concern is why do I not see the word Success which is a conformation from the auto pilot that you have entered that mode, yesterday I tried and I had the machine on the ground perfectly still and started the blue led just kept coming on for a second and then going off and I haven't even touched the machine, I get worried when I don't get what I should get in the book of words as vague as it is.
john.

Well, you are going to wait a long time for those "success" words to be seen. You must remember that the book of words was translated from Chinese into English and probably never proof read. I have done a lot of documentation in my life, and even when it is written in English and proof read by people who understand English, they still make mistakes.

That's why we are here, to help each other.

Have you seen the video. There is one on my website. It shows you exactly what to do.

It is no good having the machine on the ground looking for the blue light. Hold it in you hands and get the thing level, then start moving.

Cheers
Rob

johnno

Well, you are going to wait a long time for those "success" words to be seen. You must remember that the book of words was translated from Chinese into English and probably never proof read. I have done a lot of documentation in my life, and even when it is written in English and proof read by people who understand English, they still make mistakes.

That's why we are here, to help each other.

Have you seen the video. There is one on my website. It shows you exactly what to do.

It is no good having the machine on the ground looking for the blue light. Hold it in you hands and get the thing level, then start moving.

Cheers
Rob

Rob I will check the video if it is the one from UAV I have seen it, the only reason I had it on the ground because I couldn't get it right by holding it and I thought I had a problem, anyway I will keep trying, by the way how is the YSX4 ? I have one sitting in a box.
Cheers,
john.

socratic

Thought I would "report" in regarding replacement parts from zero. Looks like I will be purchasing either eclope or foxtech since the parts i need with shipping comes to over $400!!! I need to replace the gimbal square frame without servos, center frame, one motor mount and rubber shock absorbers and a couple of arms. No discount consideration. Be careful you don't crash! In particular the square center and gimbal fres are very fragile and expensive. Very disappointed.

johnno

Thought I would "report" in regarding replacement parts from zero. Looks like I will be purchasing either eclope or foxtech since the parts i need with shipping comes to over $400!!! I need to replace the gimbal square frame without servos, center frame, one motor mount and rubber shock absorbers and a couple of arms. No discount consideration. Be careful you don't crash! In particular the square center and gimbal fres are very fragile and expensive. Very disappointed.

Hi Jim, Thats a shame cause in your video it took off so stable and looked great, just for interest do you know what the total cost of the frame is less electronics? it would be nice to know, which machine from Foxtech are you looking at have you also thought of the Scarab Range? http://www.multiwiicopter.com/ they make a nice range if you have a look at their Video pages so of the stuff that has been shot is amazing, Cheers Jim,John.

johnno

Hi Jim , just having a look at foxtech's Glyder 600 that looks like a lot simpler in the gimbal dept and the test footage is rock steady. I presume that's the one your chasing?
john

socratic

Yes, the glyder 600 or Ecilop (this is the original that zero copied). Both of these are less $ than just the replacement parts i need. Zero will not sell complete frame less electronics. Probably decide which one next week. I like the concept zero and these other frames use so will.continue this path for a while.

johnno

Yes, the glyder 600 or Ecilop (this is the original that zero copied). Both of these are less $ than just the replacement parts i need. Zero will not sell complete frame less electronics. Probably decide which one next week. I like the concept zero and these other frames use so will.continue this path for a while.

hi Jim one other thing I noticed with glyder600 that there is an abundance of spares off the shelf which is damm handy, have you dealt with them at all just thinking of delivery, by the way I heard something about US freight costs are going to go up by 100 percent do you know anything about this? John.

socratic

Yes, i do have a concern about spare parts and speed of delivery. I have done business with foxtech and they are pretty good. I need to check out some raw video on youtube from independent source though. I also like the idea of buying the original eclope. The guy put a lot of thought into perfecting his design and also appears to offer spares but need to check with him first. His design looks like it might isolate the gimbal best and perhaps is a bit stronger than similar designs.

johnno

Hi Jim don't worry about the URL , I have found his site you had an I missing in ecilop I tell you what there is a distinct similarity in some of the parts like the camera mount for instance interesting.....John.

socratic

Hi Jim don't worry about the URL , I have found his site you had an I missing in ecilop I tell you what there is a distinct similarity in some of the parts like the camera mount for instance interesting.....John.
i think zero did an exact copy a few versions ago. You can see the 3rd servo mount on the zero gimbal that ecilop discarded in later versions after he realized that tilting the camera changed the center of balance.

socratic

Ordered the ecilop today. Hopefully the manual will be pretty straight forward. Plan on using the motors, servos, escs, and ys-x6 fc on it. Should be interesting. Ill check in from time to time.

johnno

Ordered the ecilop today. Hopefully the manual will be pretty straight forward. Plan on using the motors, servos, escs, and ys-x6 fc on it. Should be interesting. Ill check in from time to time.

Good one Jim yes hopefully the manual is something you could understand, I thought you said you stuffed one motor I must have been dreaming, dreaming of compass calibration hell its a PIA. yes keep in touch....John.