Zero UAV UAV Zero Steadi470

johnno

Have just taken Delivery of the Steadi470 from Dragon RC. First impression very nicely built a lot of the Steadi Vertical Support has been assembled so it should be pretty straightforward as this is my introduction to UAV's FC I have got a little to learn so I am not going to rush into but will add info as time goes on.
Cheers all, Johnno.:tennis:

nicwilke

Have just taken Delivery of the Steadi470 from Dragon RC. First impression very nicely built a lot of the Steadi Vertical Support has been assembled so it should be pretty straightforward as this is my introduction to UAV's FC I have got a little to learn so I am not going to rush into but will add info as time goes on.
Cheers all, Johnno.:tennis:

Chuck up some photos

nicwilke

Off topic Johno but you live in a beautiful place, I have great memories of visiting Jervis Bay, look forward to seeing some pics posted.

Funny you say that Bowley, I have one distinct memory of an emergency pee stop there. Not me, the Missus. :eek:

johnno

Yes its not bad very hard to take after many years in Sydney. Pics maybe tomorrow. I got into trouble from DragonRc just one word OK Michael??

Last edited by a moderator:

johnno

Ok Guys here are some pics sofar:View attachment 7321View attachment 7322
Its hasnt taken that long to get this far but there is no Documentation I am just working with Pictures I got from the Web, there is suppose to be a assembly video coming , but I am not really in a hurry I have to get a TX/RX yet.
Johnno.

Attachments

• DSC01990RED.jpg
    DSC01990RED.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 526
  • DSC01991RED.jpg
    DSC01991RED.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 543

nicwilke

Ok Guys here are some pics sofar:View attachment 9508View attachment 9509
Its hasnt taken that long to get this far but there is no Documentation I am just working with Pictures I got from the Web, there is suppose to be a assembly video coming , but I am not really in a hurry I have to get a TX/RX yet.
Johnno.

Dude, I'd get the Radio sorted and then get a test quad of sorts. You are flying a good rig there, don't practice on it.

johnno

Hi Nick, Dont worry mate I have been practising on a Walkera XM400 and I have just finished your worst nighmare an Xaircraft V650 so im not practising on the Steadi470. Johnno.

nicwilke

Hi Nick, Dont worry mate I have been practising on a Walkera XM400 and I have just finished your worst nighmare an Xaircraft V650 so im not practising on the Steadi470. Johnno.

Its okay stuff

robone

Hi Johnno...

What I was told is that the "ZERO-Steadi470 is integrated in factory then take them apart into a package." Is this true. Having a look at what you are doing it seems like it is a bit more work than that statement.

Rob

johnno

Hi Johnno...

What I was told is that the "ZERO-Steadi470 is integrated in factory then take them apart into a package." Is this true. Having a look at what you are doing it seems like it is a bit more work than that statement.

Rob

Hi Rob,
The centre section where the steadi arm Pivots is all done servos mounted etc, but the rest does'nt appear to have been assembled.
Johnno.

robone

Hi Nic...Are you going to leave them there as I would like to point to them from my site.

I am sending one to a customer on Wednesday so he is going to need it.

johnno

Setup video shows the build quite clearly.

Thanks for that Nic, They make things a little hard when assembling when there is NO documentation, I just went with Pics I had and Logic.
By the way how did you get the Vids.

socratic

I started my assembly of the Steadi470 and am documenting the process on video. As there is no manual or directions yet, I keep taking two feet forward and then one back! I have assembled 3 other quads/hexs - but am a bit stumped with the non existent wiring harness. I thought I would just solder the 4 esc wires then attach to a cable/battery connector. Unfortunately, the wires are too short for that and I will have to extend them. Did you find a cleaner way to power the escs? Didn't think so many splices in the wire was all that great an idea. Plan on using bullet connectors for extending the wires then a 4 to 1 bullet adapter to the battery cable. Seems like a less than perfect approach though. Again, I'd be curious what you ended up doing. Thanks.

nicwilke

Hi Nic...Are you going to leave them there as I would like to point to them from my site.

I am sending one to a customer on Wednesday so he is going to need it.
Yes Rob, They are staying there. They had some issues with the 'Great Firewall of China' and Cherry couldnt load them. Put them up for good Rob.

johnno

Hi Socratic, I am just been thinking about that very problem, because the ESC wires are so short I am reluctant to join all 4 into one, I dont want to get any wires going in towards the centre because of the Vertical Arms pivot movement, so what I am going to do is join 2 together to give me 1 then duplicate that for the other 2 and then solder those 2 onto the Plug do you follow what I mean. I am taking this project very slowly as I dont want to bugger it up. Let me know what you decide to do. Were you close to the Storm Area?

Cheers Johnno...

socratic

Hi Socratic, I am just been thinking about that very problem, because the ESC wires are so short I am reluctant to join all 4 into one, I dont want to get any wires going in towards the centre because of the Vertical Arms pivot movement, so what I am going to do is join 2 together to give me 1 then duplicate that for the other 2 and then solder those 2 onto the Plug do you follow what I mean. I am taking this project very slowly as I dont want to bugger it up. Let me know what you decide to do. Were you close to the Storm Area?

Cheers Johnno...

I ordered the parts I need to put the harness together. Should be here today or tomorrow. I like the idea of using less wiring by soldering two of the esc leads as you mentioned, but a bit messier if the esc ever has to be replaced. I'll post some pictures of what I end up doing. I have emailed Zero Support with the question but it has been a few days now and no response :( I am also taking time to put this together - though I am disappointed that this is a "kit" and not ARF - in fact they didn't even include battery tie downs! Comparing to the DJI 550 hex and a Fytech 450 that I have built from kit, this one is not as complete - and they sell those as "kits." No directions does make it challenging (I didn't find the videos super helpful as the resolution was so low and they skipped some assembly). Just installing the landing gear reinforcements turned out to be a bit difficult as the arms are in the way of some bolt heads so it was difficult to get straight on to the bolts - and not strip the heads. Much more documentation on the flight controller - hopefully the configuration of that will go easier. I threw this together yesterday - forgive the crapping editing but I didn't want to take things back apart to reshoot! Here is a link for anyone who wants to see. http://youtu.be/NtDSdNRcROk

We lucked out with the storm, mostly hit south of us. Winds only got to about 45mph - lost power and some tree limbs for a while but that is all. Wonder if my Naza/550 could handle those winds......nahhhh.
icon12.png

robone

I ordered the parts I need to put the harness together. Should be here today or tomorrow. I like the idea of using less wiring by soldering two of the esc leads as you mentioned, but a bit messier if the esc ever has to be replaced. I'll post some pictures of what I end up doing. I have emailed Zero Support with the question but it has been a few days now and no response :( I am also taking time to put this together - though I am disappointed that this is a "kit" and not ARF - in fact they didn't even include battery tie downs! Comparing to the DJI 550 hex and a Fytech 450 that I have built from kit, this one is not as complete - and they sell those as "kits." No directions does make it challenging (I didn't find the videos super helpful as the resolution was so low and they skipped some assembly). Just installing the landing gear reinforcements turned out to be a bit difficult as the arms are in the way of some bolt heads so it was difficult to get straight on to the bolts - and not strip the heads. Much more documentation on the flight controller - hopefully the configuration of that will go easier. I threw this together yesterday - forgive the crapping editing but I didn't want to take things back apart to reshoot! Here is a link for anyone who wants to see. http://youtu.be/NtDSdNRcROk

We lucked out with the storm, mostly hit south of us. Winds only got to about 45mph - lost power and some tree limbs for a while but that is all. Wonder if my Naza/550 could handle those winds......nahhhh.
icon12.png

Hi Socratic....Good video....Please keep them coming. There are going to be a lot of people who will thank you when they have finished their builds. I actually feel for them, because I know what I went through with my first build, and it had decent instruction with it. But, knowing the YS-X6 and how good it is, I think the end result will be good.

I am amazed that they never included a wiring harness. I thought when Johnno said it was missing, it was just his kit, but now it looks like either they have missed it or it is intentional, which I cannot believe.

What I would like to know is what the ESC's are rated at and whether they need programming or have they been pre-programmed. And what settings you put in the GCS.

Cheers
Rob