TBS Discovery Pro

kloner

Aerial DP
Pre-orders are being taken, just opened 6 minutes ago. smoke em if you got em

Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

I'm smokin' em cause I ordered one too. But the ones that are really smokin' are RiSCyD, Perna & Trappy. :tennis: The smell of sweet success

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm passing on this one, ordered a Stingray 500 instead.

I already have two Discovery and four BL Gimbals, don't feel the need to combine a Disco with a gimbal, I'd rather FPV upside down. :)

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
Being in the aerial biz now, we need the real deal and as many as possible. That stingray looks fun but it's not gonna grab many money shots. The disco goes upside down too, watch. We've been working on a zephyr hero3 brushless gimbal that i'm also hoping to harness the power of hero3 at a pro level.

If i hadn't been down the single rotor path for years on end, i'd put more faith in 4 tail rotor assembly's but for me i'll pass on a box of maintnence.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Being in the aerial biz now, we need the real deal and as many as possible. That stingray looks fun but it's not gonna grab many money shots. The disco goes upside down too, watch. We've been working on a zephyr hero3 brushless gimbal that i'm also hoping to harness the power of hero3 at a pro level.

If i hadn't been down the single rotor path for years on end, i'd put more faith in 4 tail rotor assembly's but for me i'll pass on a box of maintnence.

I did my time with SRH prior to multis as well, could probably build a CP quad myself but want to have one of the first mass market kits. I might not even assemble it but put it on the shelf instead and wait to see what comes down the line. Even if I do put it together it won't be seeing any radical flight until parts are readily available, C/P assemblys aren't nearly as crash tolerant as a quad motor/prop combo. Don't really care about money shots with a modified FPV quad, I have plenty of other more suitable multis to do that with if needed, already equipped with brushless gimbals.

For now I'll do my inverted flight practice with my current 3D quad, not nearly as efficient as C/P but works well enough right side up and upside down. Amazing what you can do with some custom firmware on a flight controller and on a set of nFET ESCs...

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Also ordered one. Just not to happy to have to deal with the DJI arms again especially because i would like to knock the motors up to 2814/22 axis for example:

So i started sketching these parts ! Should allow to have standard 16mm booms attached to the tbs frame or any DJI frame.

Any thoughts on this or things you guys would do different. Parts will be 3d printed:

View attachment 12571View attachment 12572

Thanks

Boris

Attachments

• tbsconversionCFTubesA.jpg
    tbsconversionCFTubesA.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 679
  • tbsconversionCFTubesB.jpg
    tbsconversionCFTubesB.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 678

ChrisViperM

Also ordered one. Just not to happy to have to deal with the DJI arms again especially because i would like to knock the motors up to 2814/22 axis for example:

So i started sketching these parts ! Should allow to have standard 16mm booms attached to the tbs frame or any DJI frame.

Any thoughts on this or things you guys would do different. Parts will be 3d printed:

View attachment 15958View attachment 15959...

Thanks

Boris

Freakin' awesome......not only for the Disco. But with this booms it's easy to have two motors on each arm with different motor mounts.

Chris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Freakin' awesome......not only for the Disco. But with this booms it's easy to have two motors on each arm with different motor mounts.

Chris

Thanks Chris ! Yes that was also my thought to have the option of mounting coxial , with an additional LG mounted to the boom. I just noticed that I forgot about the ESCs and that in most Disco cases they will be mounted on the arms. Have to think of something there that is stays clean !

Boris

Boltzman

Awesome Boris, exactly what I need. I already today use 2814 motors and need more stiff material. Imagine an X8 design with this small size factor.

Please sign me up!

View attachment 15958View attachment 15959

Thanks

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors

View attachment 15958View attachment 15959

Thanks

Boris

Great idea Boris, the DJI arms are the major weak point of the Discovery IMO, at least they're cheap to replace!

Seeing the pic makes me think I should go out to the garage and start carving up some Delrin on the mill and give this a try on that spare set of Discovery frame plates I have :)

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Crap. I wasnt going to say anything yet but I have been making carbon replacement arms for the f series DJI frames that will allow you to use 1 or 2 motors per arm. I have the blocks made, I was just trying to find a more economical clamp for the motor end so i didnt have to drill them myself. My arms are .7" or 17.78mm. I used that size because i wanted something stout yet economical. the arms are 12". I was going to have clubheli distribute them directly but I think I can sell them as well. Mine dont have the landing gear built in and my legs probably wont work on this set up. Need to figure that out. My main purpose in making these was to be able to use the f550 frae plates to make either a y6 or X8 platform economically. the frame is ultra rigid with carbon arms and uses the stock hole pattern.

Is it true that DJI is no longer going to sell the f450/550?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Crap. I wasnt going to say anything yet but I have been making carbon replacement arms for the f series DJI frames that will allow you to use 1 or 2 motors per arm. I have the blocks made, I was just trying to find a more economical clamp for the motor end so i didnt have to drill them myself. My arms are .7" or 17.78mm. I used that size because i wanted something stout yet economical. the arms are 12". I was going to have clubheli distribute them directly but I think I can sell them as well. Mine dont have the landing gear built in and my legs probably wont work on this set up. Need to figure that out. My main purpose in making these was to be able to use the f550 frae plates to make either a y6 or X8 platform economically. the frame is ultra rigid with carbon arms and uses the stock hole pattern.

Is it true that DJI is no longer going to sell the f450/550?

Hi Iris,

I will not be selling them ! Just gonna supply the STLs over shapeways and components from shapeways are not competative anyways since they are expensive !

Its designed now for 16mm tubes. I personally like those the best, 1.5mm thick very nice finish ! http://flyduino.net/3K-CF-Boom-34cm-matt-15-wall-thickness.

Sending the parts to shapeways now and gonna give it a try ! Final parts ! : Sorry couldnt deal with texture and a nice render !

Had to change the LG legs to fit under a ESC!

View attachment 12620View attachment 12621View attachment 12622

Attachments

• tbsconversionCFTubes2A.jpg
    tbsconversionCFTubes2A.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 607
  • tbsconversionCFTubes1A.jpg
    tbsconversionCFTubes1A.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 570
  • tbsconversionCFTubes3A.jpg
    tbsconversionCFTubes3A.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 560